WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
feaito

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by feaito »

It sounds terribly interesting Mike. Thanks for sharing the info and recommending it.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

It certainly does sound good. I love stories like this!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

MikeBSG wrote:I know this space is usually used only for features, BUT yesterday I saw a terrific short subject: an MGM Crime Does Not Pay film called "The Luckiest Man in the World." (1947) dir. Joseph M. Newman.

I was already familiar with the story, which is from a "Suspense" radio play, "The Man Who Couldn't Lose" that starred Dan Duryea. (And is terrific.) The MGM film stars Barry Nelson, who is a loser (an insurance salesman in the radio show, a real estate salesman here) who gets a string of lucky breaks after he accidentally kills his wife. The MGM short isn't as breathless as the radio play, but there are plenty of twists and turns, with the killer's good luck turning bad at the end. Still, "The Luckiest Man in the World" has a terrific noir feel, with brutal irony popping up every few minutes.

The short is available on the DVD of "Ziegfeld Follies" (1946).
I saw this on TCM recently too. It was beautifully done in its own small scale way. Director Newman was such a modest guy, he never got as much attention as he deserved. This may be the best showcase for Barry Nelson on film that he ever got a chance to do. In Ronald R. Davis' book, Just Making Movies: Company Directors on the Studio System, Newman spoke very fondly of his days at MGM, a place that he literally grew up in. His family lived in LA and he started working in movies as a youngster, became a gopher and assistant everything at the studio, learning everything he could about movies. He looked back with real affection on the less expensive movies he made during his career such as this Crime Does Not Pay short and particularly the feature film 711 Ocean Drive, (a non-Metro movie) when he used as many real settings as possible to save money and give the movie life.

The book is readily available and the interviews with all kinds of less-celebrated but highly skilled directors are most interesting.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
feaito

Post by feaito »

A couple of weeks ago I saw on PPV TV "Sherlock Holmes Game of Shadows" (2011), which my sister recommended to me saying that she found it better than the first entry. I was let down by the film, the special effects et al. I realize that as time goes by I'm less tolerant to noisy contemporary films like this...Also I found that the characters resembled more superheroes than Doyle's characters...I'll rather watch Rathbone and Bruce any day.
feaito

Post by feaito »

I also revisited Lewis Allen's "So Evil My Love" (1948) which contains one of Ann Todd's greatest performances. I love this Period-Noir film. Great story, great cast...9/10
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

It's not just you, Fer. I try to keep an open mind, but I found the Sherlock Holmes movies to be terribly disappointing, and of minimal interest. I just don't think those are the same characters from the books or even from other movie versions, and they don't interest me. I'm hoping the trend start to turn away from the giant action superhero movies, perhaps if the economy perks up. Hopefully at some point we'll see more art or thoughtfulness. My hope is that someone will see these and read the stories, making them worthwhile on some level, but I doubt it.

I'm looking forward to Spike Lee's supposedly controversial Red Hook Summer, I only hope I can see it at the one little theatre that shows independent films. I've seen two interviews with him and he says these giant action films are all that Hollywood will take a risk on because of the economy, they feel they can only make big money (to recoup for the last big blockbuster) on those types of films and won't bother with little films anymore. I tend to agree with him, there have been fewer and fewer little films for me to go to around here lately. He shot it in less than a month, because he had to, he couldn't get funding in Hollywood, and used his own money to pay for it. At the very least it will give us something to think about, I'm sure. I would probably go see it on principle even if I hated him. Support your independents! Well, I probably don't need to tell anyone here that, it's like preaching to the choir.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Amen!!! Speak the truth, sister Sister!

I just did double duty at two big block buster summer films. Back-to-back I went to see "TOTAL RECALL" ( awmigawd, the dreaded re-make / re-boot issue surfaces its ugly head here, in this thread ) and "THE DARK KNIGHT RISES" which I hadn't held out much hope for, but still wanted to see. ( I know, Bob. If you don't see another comic-book movie for the rest of your life, it'll be too soon. And in theory, I agree with you. ) Surprisingly for me I didn't care for or about "Total Recall" though it was a feast for the eyes, design-wise and star-wise. The three stars are worth seeing in any movie ( Colin Farrell - Kate Beckinsale - Jessica Biel. ) They're believable, physical and beautiful, luscious. But the story didn't jell together emotionally for me. Hard to believe but Schwarzenegger - Sharon Stone - Rachel Ticotin did more for me in the original ( which I must visit again soon ), emotionally. The set design ( in the re-make ) of a kind of rainy dreary Hong Kong-y "Blade Runner" city did nothing for me. So all that was really left for me to do was feast on the star trio.

"The Dark Knight Rises" made me cry. No no... not b'cuz it was a waste of time and money; it wasn't. I felt very emotional about it. About Hope. About the People fighting for Their City. About a young man trying to find himself and about even a super-hero trying to find himself. Seeing the movie on a weekday afternoon at 2:00pm with no one in the big multiplex theatre but a canoodling couple is just the way I like it ( w/o the canoodling couple. ) See, when I go see a film, it's just me and the movie anyway...three's a crowd, even if I am with someone. It's just me and the movie communicating, it: bombarding my senses and me: the ebb and flow of my responding or rejecting; being enthralled, engaged or ho-hummed. Christian Bale is kind of an emotionless actor to me, he looks numb, no feeling. But maybe that's what Bat Man is...closed off from his feelings and emotions. Still, I'm engaged by him. Anne Hathaway in her smokin' CatWoman costume was great; like some disaffected girl who doesn't WANT to feel; been too hurt to feel. Marion Cotillard was good, as was "Third Rock From the Sun's" Joseph Gordon Levitt. He's done some interesting acting jobs lately. Quite a good young character actor...be on the lookout for him ( have you ever seen him in "100 Days of Summer"?? Excellent film! ) And as we movie buffs know, our hero is only as good as our villain, so I must give a tremendous shout-out to BAIN...awmigawd BAIN was awesome. I thought his brute strength and power and brutality was ooh boy, sumthin' to feel. And the end of his story...whoa! I had a popcorn eatin', Raisinet gulpin', adrenalin-pumpin' good time with both movies in general, but with one movie in particular. I need my Happy Endings.

Marketing agents know that Summer is the time for the big, the bold and the splashy. Only juggernauts need apply June - August!!! I like different tastes crossing my pallette. The indies...the "little films"...those little engines that could...they're in my soul. They have to try harder with less. They give me hope that maybe I. too, can achieve.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Hey, I love the way you describe going to the movies. I LOVE a movie that can take me out of the theatre and transport me. I am not against big blockbusters, I just want some variety!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Mmmmm...it IS the spice of life, isn't it. Think I'll bring "VERTIGO" with me to my bar this rainy day. All they care about there is that the movie is in color. Ha! They'll get Kim Novak and won't know what hit 'em.

P.S. Like your little doggie!

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Naughty girl! You know even with the sound down it's impossible NIOT to watch a Hitchcock film. :D
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

:) HA! You thinK? Why you don't know the "girls" in Upper Sandusky! :lol:

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

The year TITANIC broke all the records, Siskel and Ebert said people don't JUST like blockbusters, and they don't JUST like small movies. They like good movies!

If you don't see another comic-book movie for the rest of your life, it'll be too soon.

Lord help us! I like comic books. I like comic book movies. But enough is enough. There's one every other week!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Any bets on how long it takes them to figure out its a Hitchcock?
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

They like good movies!
Exactly, red!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

JackFavell wrote:Any bets on how long it takes them to figure out its a Hitchcock?
I'll take that bet. But I've got to warn you, they'll be drinking and talking. They won't even pay attention to Jimmy and Kim. Well...I'm headin' in now. Like I said, with me and movies...three's a crowd, much less a bar full o' people.