WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
charliechaplinfan

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I watched The First of the Few or Spitfire, I think the former is our title and the latter the American, directed by Leslie Howard and starring Leslie Howard and David Niven, a film made to put the British cause across to American audiences. The copy I have is terrible, which is a pity as although the film is a bit static, not sure if this is the direction or the constraints of a war time script, there are some brilliant flying scenes, depicting the early races Mitchell designed airoplanes for and the later Spitfire that he worked himself into the ground for. Obviously a very personal work for Leslie Howard, the role doesn't require him be anything other than his urbane self, he can rest assured that his work would have plucked at heartstrings. I like the chemistry of Leslie Howard and David Niven, perhaps it's a reflection of life but David's character looks up to Howard's as an apprentice to his master.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I watched The First of the Few or Spitfire, I think the former is our title and the latter the American, directed by Leslie Howard and starring Leslie Howard and David Niven, a film made to put the British cause across to American audiences.
Alison, they just ran this the other day on TCM with the original title of The First of the Few (1942) and I'm happy to say that the print TCM had was fine. I thought that Leslie Howard was very touching as R.J. Mitchell and liked the way that the movie blended the domestic life of the brilliant aeronautical engineer into the story of the Spitfire airplane. I do think that Niven admired Howard in real life as well as in the story, but saw through his vague air and diffident manner to discern the ambitious filmmaker underneath. According to Niven, Leslie Howard was "not what he seemed. He had the kind of distraught air that would make people want to mother him. Actually, he was about as naïve as General Motors. Busy little brain, always going."

I was most impressed by the scenes between Rosamund John and Leslie Howard, which were filled with tenderness and early on, a playfulness. She apparently appreciated the older actor's mentoring and guidance, explaining once that "Howard taught me everything I knew about film-making. He made me realise that the only thing that matters when you are filming is what you are thinking and feeling, because it will show in your eyes." I first noticed this actress in Green For Danger, but every time I've seen her, I've liked her more. I recently saw her in The Gentle Sex (1942), which showed up on youtube the other day. Film noir icon Jean Gillie (she's the seething bad girl in love with money in 1946's Decoy) is also in the cast of The Gentle Sex.

I have recently been reading Mr. Chips: The Life of Robert Donat by Kenneth Barrow, and he revealed that Donat was deeply in love with Rosamund John for several years in the '30s and '40s, (so that was the woman that Donat used to wax poetical about whenever Marlene Dietrich tried to make a pass at her co-star during the making of Knight Without Armour!) Despite her busy acting career and involvement with Donat, Rosamund John was very interested in Labor Party politics (she eventually married an MP), and felt a strong desire to be politically active, at a time when that was unusual for an actress of her generation. Musing on the idea of his protegee as a Member of Parliament, Donat wrote "Rather a good description of Johnny [Rosamund John] at her most independent: Queen Victoria with a school certificate in one hand and the New Statesman and Nation in the other! But a lovely, generous mind, a heart of pure gold, and a body made for the highest pitch of ecstasy."
My! What a ringing endorsement! :wink:

FYI: Stuart began a thread about this film here in 2009. You can see a good quality print of The First of the Few there online.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Watched a coupled of documentaries on Australian cinema:

The History of Australian Cinema is a terrific three-part documentary focusing on Australia's silent era up to the early talkies. Plenty of amazing footage, particularly from the actualities and clips from surviving films, the documentary makes clear that Australia had a short, but vibrant film industry that worked best when producing films for themselves and not necessarily trying to compete with the U.S. Unfortunately, the U.S. block-booking was the norm in Australia, too, so Australian film companies had almost no chance to compete. Too bad, because the clips shown are very intriguing. Fascinating to learn that Australia has a very good claim on producing the very first feature. I need to do some digging to find some of these gems.

Not Quite Hollywood is about Australia's Ozplotation films, and while not for all tastes, is an absolute blast. Focussing on genre (read: exploitation) films from the 70s, 80s and 90s, there are lots of fabulous clips, modern interviews with cast and crew members (with lots of pride and not a little eye-rolling) and some hysterical interviews with Australian movie critics. On hand, too, is Quentin Tarantino, whose knowledge and enthusiasm for the films is infectious. Need to watch this one again, soon. This time with a pad to note the films I simply must see.
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Yesterday I watched "The Ice Storm" (1997) directed by Ang Lee.

On the one hand, it is a well-made movie, with a very good cast. It really catches the 70s atmosphere.

On the other hand, I found that I disliked the movie the more I thought about it. It seemed to me like every sex act between adults in the film was degrading, disappointing or hurtful. The only good sex act was between two underage people. There were scenes that I found funnier than I bet I was intended to, and I kept wishing the film had gone for comedy. I think "American Beauty" was the film that "The Ice Storm" couldn't be.

What really sank the film for me was when Sigourney Weaver's son was killed. It came across as punishment for her sexual promiscuity, and it sent me back to the days of "Mildred Pierce," in which if you go to the beach with another man your child will be dead when you get home. The old Hollywood attitudes still hold on in unexpected ways and places.
charliechaplinfan

Thank you Moira for your insights into The First of the Few and Leslie Howard the man. I like David Niven's quote about him, from what I've read around the edges that's my impression of him. I'll join Stuart's thread.

I watched The Wedding Night this morning, Gary Cooper in his prime with the lovely Anna Sten directed by King Vidor, a pleasant movie about a writer and his muse, their romance is hampered by his wife and her intended. I was quite taken with Jean Hersholt in the role of the father and how the family, so welcoming at first, despite Cooper's drinking a desolute life become hostile once Anna starts to look after Gary (he has no housekeeper) I always wish Anna had made more movies, she's a perfectly charming actress, there's no real reason for her failure to catch on, a pity really. I wonder what the film would have been like had it been made before the Production Code?
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

The Leaving Of Liverpool (1992)

At the time the mini-series The Leaving Of Liverpool Went To Air went to air in 1992, the issue of what happened during the child migration schemes of the 1950`s had been swept under the carpet.

A huge national and international controversy followed it`s broadcast as thousands of victims of the schemes broke the cone of silence that had enclosed them for nearly half a century.

Over 130,00 children had been transported from England to the outposts of the Empire. The stories of their suffering in Canada, South Africa and Australia were epitomised in the story of Bert and Lily`s transportation from Liverpool, England to the labour camp and sheep station servitude in New South Wales.

The Child Migration Trust was established to reconnect families, but some agencies refused to co-operate. The Governments of Australia and U.K. Refused to accept any responsibility or give financial assistance.

The film received awards in U.S.A, Italy and Australia.

Starred Christine Tremarco as Lily, who eventually rose above the ill treatment, and Kevin Jones as Bert, who was crushed by it.
charliechaplinfan

I watched Picnic yesterday. I think I must have a real downer on Joshua Logan, I just don't seem to appreciate anything he makes and wishes someone else had directed his films, he's obviously a director that was drafted in to deal with bigger budget Technicolour movies but with the exception of Sayonara I've found his films less than impressive. With Picnic there was things still to recommend it, firstly William Holden (who wouldn't run off with him?) Kim Novak, Susan Strasberg, Betty Field and most definetly Rosalind Russell. The film concentrates on the effect William Holden's character has on the females he encounters, the females all quite well rounded figures and the guys, more one dimensional, they function to move the women out of the malaise that they have drifted into. Lovely technicolour.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

kingrat is right, Logan was a stage director first and foremost, and one of the best, apparently, judging from his string of hits. His ability behind the camera is atrocious, though.

I saw the play first, a really fantastic, very homespun version with great ensemble acting, like it was meant to be. The play actually centered around Millie and her views, and the interactions of all these people. Then I saw the movie, and I have never thought Holden was right for the part, though Novak seems a little closer to her role for me. It's so Hollywood-ized, I can't bear it. A naturally beautiful small town girl is transformed into a white blonde starlet? C'mon! It burns me up that the wonderful play I saw was turned into a sort of star filled potboiler. Somehow, in spite of this, and even though in my mind's eye Hal is only in his 20's, Holden manages to inform his role with all that great stuff kingrat mentions. I have to agree, he manages to pull something out of nothing, as does Roz Russell. I just wish there was an alternate version that was more like the play I saw.
charliechaplinfan

Thanks both of you. Funnily enough, whilst I was watching my hubby went on wikipedia to look at exactly how old William Holden was whilst playing this young guy, I was surprised, he was younger than he appeared, 37 I think. Kim Novak, who I really like, although not an icecream blonde here, looks a little too wise to play Madge. Your impressions of the stage play you saw Wendy is how I feel it should be, I tried to disemble it in my mind and rearrange it in a way that did more justice to the characters. I found Roz Russell's performance quite heartbreaking and I feel the actors did a good job despite it's short comings.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I really don't have any problems with the acting in the movie. Arthur O'Connell is one of the best in a cast of pretty darn good performances, I just want them all to be in a different movie!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I guess I'm really alone out here, but I can't bear to watch Rosalind Russell come undone. I know it is an Oscar worthy performance, but some things are so intensely painful, it is awful to bear witness.

My dad traveled all of KS and MO in the 50's and 60's as a salesman. His mother knew James Wong Howe, and Dad was not shy about introducing himself...to anyone. He was in Salina KS when the movie crew was filming the train sequence when William Holden comes into town. Believe it or not, Dad got to go have dinner with Mr. Howe and Mr. Holden, I believe Ms. Russell, and (to quote my dad) "some young actress, kind of mousy, real quiet...I think her name was Kim something." :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol:
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That's amazing!!!!! I am going to think of your dad every time I see it!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Some people have all the great family stories.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."