WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
CineMaven

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by CineMaven »

Ha Red. You're so right. I can see it as a film from the 1940's.
[u]JACK[/u] [u]FAVELL[/u] wrote:I saw the movie Prisoners last night...It was very well done. It certainly had a different trajectory, story wise..."
This was the best film I've seen in the past five years. Besides the 40's, it made me think of films I've seen in the deep 70's - hard hitting dramas. Character dramas. My eyes never left the screen. What's gonna happen? I loved those muted colors of fall and winter. It was an excellent story. I reveled in the drama of it. The circumstances were harrowing...got me in the pit of my stomach. And the moment it switched to the little girl's p.o.v. crikey! The terror and uncertainty and the not knowing what's happened. You'll have to tell me the "On Dangerous Ground" reference. I can't quite say I saw that. Give me a hint. I did see the excruciating moral decision facing both sets of Dads. The head of the family. The one that protects everyone...helpless. I liked the slow pace of the film, how it took its time to unfold the plot, to develop each character. It had me on the edge of my seat.

You mentioned the cast. Oh boy...that cast. All of them my favorites who fall under my radar sometimes and then when I see them, BOING! It was Hugh Jackman's movie all the way. Fear helplessness rage retribution. But then there's the cop, Jake Gyllenhall. Dogged, determined, methodical. Like Colombo...with tatooes. It always seemed like something else was on his mind. What do you suppose preoccupied him? All alone on Thanksgiving. Terrence Howard. Torn to shreds about his daughter, but wracked with guilt at Jackman's tactics. Actually wanting them and hating them at the same time. If I had one bone to pick with the movie is that we could have seen just a tad more of Howard's anger and toughness with Jackman ( see him in "Dead Man Down" and he'll show you that cold S.0.B. side of him. ) But his being conflicted worked too. Maybe we could have seen a bit more of Howard and the great Viola Davis at home and their reaction privately as parents. We always seemed to focus on Jackman's feelings and p.o.v. Ahhhh Maria! I just love an actress named Maria...Bello. She's one of my faves ( "A History of Violence." ) And Viola Davis? Ha! Just destined to win an Academy Award one day. Wanted to look in to Pandora's Box and face the Devil itself; the pitiable Devil. She is one of today's finest actresses. The unnerving Paul Dano. He wouldn't or couldn't talk and explain himself. I had an inkling about him. Melissa Leo astonishes me. A fine fine character actress. Don't be surprised if she's nominated.

How right and wrong can become skewed. You hit it straight on the head with that comment. What does one do with that? Caught between a rock and a very hard place. Jackman's willing to go deep and do whatever it takes to get his daughter back. The movie threw out tidbits of clues and I just loved how it unfolded and wound in on itself. Sometimes more than the kidnapped are held prisoners.

Now for "GUN CRAZY."

These two speak the same language. << SIgh! >> Don'cha just love a good love story? ( Packy doesn't know how he dodged a bullet with her. )
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

[u]JACK[/u] [u]FAVELL[/u] wrote:I saw the movie Prisoners last night...It was very well done. It certainly had a different trajectory, story wise..."
This was the best film I've seen in the past five years. Besides the 40's, it made me think of films I've seen in the deep 70's - hard hitting dramas. Character dramas.
It really had that early seventieslook and feel, I felt a spiritual connection to The Deer Hunter, but also to Serpico/Badlands/Taxi Driver. Dark dark dark. It made me hate brown because of the subject matter. And rain. And wood paneling. AAAAAAH!
My eyes never left the screen. What's gonna happen? I loved those muted colors of fall and winter. It was an excellent story. I reveled in the drama of it. The circumstances were harrowing...got me in the pit of my stomach. And the moment it switched to the little girl's p.o.v. crikey! The terror and uncertainty and the not knowing what's happened.
The story was brilliant. You are right - although there actually wasn't a lot of action, you couldn't look away for a second. So suspenseful.
You'll have to tell me the "On Dangerous Ground" reference. I can't quite say I saw that. Give me a hint.

The first scene where Hugh Jackman has Paul Dano in the old dilapidated apartment building actually made me suck in my breath, the recognition of Robert Ryan's scene was so strong. I'd even be willing to bet that Jackman was framed in the screen exactly like Ryan is when he does his "Why do you make me do it?" stuff, you know, shot from slightly below the waist to give him the feeling of power gone mad? Then, Jackman actually says something like, "I don't want to do this, but you've made me." It struck me forcibly. At that point, I think I was so dreading what he was going to do to that kid that I took myself out of the movie to notice it.
I did see the excruciating moral decision facing both sets of Dads. The head of the family. The one that protects everyone...helpless. I liked the slow pace of the film, how it took its time to unfold the plot, to develop each character. It had me on the edge of my seat.

The depth of the characterizations was incredible, right down the line. It's what made the movie worth watching. Even the teen brother and sister were excellent. Jackman was a dad on steroids, and everything was tied up in his role as protector. He had to learn to be helpless.
You mentioned the cast. Oh boy...that cast. All of them my favorites who fall under my radar sometimes and then when I see them, BOING! It was Hugh Jackman's movie all the way. Fear helplessness rage retribution. But then there's the cop, Jake Gyllenhall. Dogged, determined, methodical. Like Colombo...with tatooes. It always seemed like something else was on his mind. What do you suppose preoccupied him? All alone on Thanksgiving.
I think what preoccupied him was the case at first, because the parents for him were a distraction rather than a help. He and the dad were of the same type, dogged individuals who are somewhat outside the system. Poor Gyllenhaal was trying to work within that system, but he was getting it from every side, mostly from his boss who was an ass. I got the feeling that he felt if he could just get some peace and quiet, and a little cash sent his direction from dept. heads, he would be able to solve the crime. Both he and the dad had serious issues about what it is to be a man. I think what he ended up being preoccupied with was enormous guilt, hence the blinking, the facial tic. I think every time someone says to you, "It's YOUR fault my daughters are dead" it has a psychic effect, even when you know on a purely logical level that the parent is saying that to assuage his OWN sense of guilt in the matter. If both he and Jackman could have bent just a little, and seen the other as human, they would have found the kids a lot sooner, and he would have been there to help Jackman when he went down the rabbit hole. Then again, every person in the film saw somebody else as sub-human.
Terrence Howard. Torn to shreds about his daughter, but wracked with guilt at Jackman's tactics. Actually wanting them and hating them at the same time. If I had one bone to pick with the movie is that we could have seen just a tad more of Howard's anger and toughness with Jackman ( see him in "Dead Man Down" and he'll show you that cold S.0.B. side of him. ) But his being conflicted worked too. Maybe we could have seen a bit more of Howard and the great Viola Davis at home and their reaction privately as parents. We always seemed to focus on Jackman's feelings and p.o.v.

I certainly agree with you about seeing more of these two great actors. I actually liked Howard's weakness and waffling in the story. I was shocked by it, almost as much as Jackman's attitudes. And then I was BEGGING in my heart that Viola Davis would go to the cop. When she said, "Let him do what he's going to do" it made me feel sick. It was that variation of human reaction that was so compelling. Like when you hear about WWII and the variations of criminality or guilt involved - those who did the dirty work and then those who watched but DIDN'T get their hands dirty, and then those who collaborated, and finally those who turned a blind eye to the murder of millions.
Ahhhh Maria! I just love an actress named Maria...Bello. She's one of my faves ( "A History of Violence." )
Maria Bello has been on my radar since that little Vegas movie with William H. Macy. I forget the title. She's a hell of an actress. You could hardly recognize her by the end of this picture, she was so bloated and sick looking. Again, could have used more of her, but her reaction was what I might do in her situation.
And Viola Davis? Ha! Just destined to win an Academy Award one day. Wanted to look in to Pandora's Box and face the Devil itself; the pitiable Devil. She is one of today's finest actresses.
I agree. One of my friends called her Alfre Woodard.... ouch... and yet, I do see why, because they are both fearless powerhouse actresses of the very finest kind who completely inhabit a role.
The unnerving Paul Dano. He wouldn't or couldn't talk and explain himself. I had an inkling about him. Melissa Leo astonishes me. A fine fine character actress. Don't be surprised if she's nominated.
That poor kid. I know he was messed up, but man. My friends had that inkling too. I thought for sure he was innocent, but of course, in this movie, no one was innocent, not even the two little girls, who were supposed to go get their big brother to take them to the house. Dano was heartbreaking, as was the other suspect/victim. Horrible, and all the more horrible because you KNOW this stuff is something that could happen every day in the good ol' USA.
How right and wrong can become skewed. You hit it straight on the head with that comment. What does one do with that? Caught between a rock and a very hard place. Jackman's willing to go deep and do whatever it takes to get his daughter back. The movie threw out tidbits of clues and I just loved how it unfolded and wound in on itself. Sometimes more than the kidnapped are held prisoners.
Oh yeah, that's perfect, how you said that. He was a prisoner of his past just as his baby was a prisoner of someone else's past. It all comes down to what you lived as a kid. What I found interesting in Jackman's character was how hard he fought to make it everyone else's fault, because he HAD to keep that "protector" vision of himself. He had to DO, he had to take it all on himself, and for a while, I don't think it was for the kids necessarily, but for his own peace of mind. He had to put it on others because otherwise he'd be left with only himself, facing his own guilt and vulnerability. But then again, if he hadn't needed that role of protector so bad, his girl would have died.

Loved the ending. Red Whistle.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

YES! My jaw dropped. My heart leapt.

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Sound really was SOOOOOOOO important in this movie.
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

The Barretts of Wimpole Street (1934)

As good a Love story as any. The sickly Elizabeth (Norma Shearer), after publishing some poems was contacted by Robert Browning (Fredric March). He was initially welcomed by her father Edward (Charles Laughton), a stern Disciplinarian who did not at once realise that Elizabeth and Robert were attracted to on another. Her sister Henrietta (Maureen O`Sullivan) also had an admirer Captain Surtees Cook (Ralph Forbes). Edward has forbidden any of his children to marry. Inspired by Robert, Elizabeth leaves her sick bed. Learns to walk again and evens goes downstairs to meet Robert.
In an attempt to keep her under his thumb, Edward orders her to bed and persuades her that she is ill. Despite medical advice that Elizabeth should go to Italy for the winter,Edward refuses permission.

Elizabeth elopes with Robert, Henrietta takes great delight in telling her father, implying that she will also leave.

Beyond the Movie
The marriage lasted fifteen years till her death at age 55. She suffered four miscarriages, and had a son at age 43. Henrietta married Captain Cook. Both were disowned by their father. In 1845, after meeting Robert, Elizabeth wrote a poem which was published in 1850.

How Do I Love Thee?

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of being and ideal grace.
I love thee to the level of every day's
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for right.
I love thee purely, as they turn from praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints. I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life; and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.
Last edited by Fossy on October 1st, 2013, 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That was lovely. This is one of my favorite 1930's dramas.

Every member of the cast is fabulous, but Laughton is a stand out. He's absolutely terrifying as Edward Barrett. Perhaps I'm reading into his characterization too much, but the way he plays it, it's almost an incestuous relationship with Elizabeth. I think the father's fear of his own (possibly degenerate) feelings is what causes him to behave the way he does, to shut down his daughters lives so forcefully. And so he hides in the bible, uses it as punishment, a block against those who would come between him and his daughter but also as a link to keep her near him. It's an extremely modern performance, and it blew me away.

Norma Shearer is just great in this movie, it's one of my favorite of her performances. She and Maureen O'Sullivan are perfect as older and younger sister. I guess Shearer really had to be good, knowing that people would compare her to Katherine Cornell, the great actress who played the part on stage. I find her totally believable and quite moving in this picture, very sad, old beyond her years. I usually like Shearer when she's naughty best, but there's something very intelligent about the way she plays the role, very graceful - the young woman inside longing to get out, to see the world. March is ingratiating, warm, like fresh air coming into the closed off home. The staging by Sydney Franklin is excellent, not stodgy at all as one might fear of a historical drama. The costumes and lighting are perfect, though again, the stage play was the model. Franklin was able to get each of the characters to retain their individuality, to use their own voice and traits, which makes the combinations of different characters very pleasing, exciting when they meet one another or clash. It's one of the best costume dramas.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

That Laughton amazes me. Was there a type he couldn't play? Thin, I guess. But I wouldn't surprised to see him pull that off! A REAL actor.
feaito

Post by feaito »

A couple of days ago I revisited "12 Monkeys" (1995) and was blown away by it. I've watched "Flight for Freedom" (1943), "The Silver Cord" (1933), "High Fidelity" (2000) and "Hysteria" (2011), all very good in their own categories and styles.

Recently I have also seen: "Dark Shadows" (2012), "Ocean's Eleven" (1961), "Four For Texas" (1963), "Robin and his Seven Hoods" (1964), "Carne Trémula" (Live Flesh) (1997), "Tango!" (1933), "Largo Viaje" (1967), "Bel Ami" (2012), "The Mad Miss Manton" (1938), "The King and the Chorus Girl" (1937), "It Started with Eve" (1941), "First Love" (1939), "Hotel Berlin" (1945), "Zoo in Budapest" (1933), "The Late Mathias Pascal" (1926), "The Castle of Cagliostro" (1979), "Threesome" (1994), "Splendor" (1999), "A Stranger in Town" (1943), "Melody" (1971), "The Conjuring" (2012), "Princess Mononoke" (1997), "Liliom" (1934), "Liliom" (1930), "La Reine Margot" (1994), Buñuel's "Abismos de Pasión" (1954), "The Sex of the Angels" (2012), "The Ages of Lulú" (1990), "Broadway" (1929)......I have been on quite a binge, but have only written small opinions on my FB wall ....

Currently I am revisiting "Take a Letter Darling"(1942), because I enjoyed so much Flight for Freedom, that I had to see Roz & Fred again... :wink:
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I really liked 12 Monkeys when it came out, fer. Now I find that it was based on the earlier short subject, La Jetee, which was just on TCM and was fascinating. Watching the earlier film made me want to go back and see 12 Monkeys.

And I think you know how I feel about Liliom. :D
feaito

Post by feaito »

JackFavell wrote:I really liked 12 Monkeys when it came out, fer. Now I find that it was based on the earlier short subject, La Jetee, which was just on TCM and was fascinating. Watching the earlier film made me want to go back and see 12 Monkeys.

And I think you know how I feel about Liliom. :D
There is a long documentary about the making of 12 Monkeys on its DVD edition and it's very enlightening. La Jetee is discussed to a certain length in it and I found it most interesting.....and yes, I know how you feel about Liliom :wink:
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Rare Movie Watch at My Hotel

While waiting for the popular restaurant (to join the Hairdressers and friends) to open at 8am - I watched the comedy classic Bringing Up Baby again on TCM today and it was a hoot. I was having a great time of a team of Katherine Hepburn and Cary Grant entertaining me again ... and it's one of the funniest comedies of all time. Loved it.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I watched Together Again with Charles Boyer and Irene Dunne. I enjoyed it very much, though I don't think it's as good as their other films. The two stars really bring out the best in each other, and that is the sole reason to see the movie. Dunne has never looked as pretty to me as when she's with Boyer, and her outfits in this one are lovely (that hat!)!

I could have done with less of the two young people, I wasn't crazy about Mona Freeman or Jerome Courtland here, though they did everything right for the characters. Their section of the plot felt like a dry run for The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer, or that episode of I Love Lucy where guest star Elinor Donahue falls for Ricky and Richard Crenna falls for Lucy. The plot was just an excuse to get Boyer and Dunne....Together Again.

Though the story is a warmed over Theodora Goes Wild, the two stars really do a good job, and it's a pleasant way to spend an hour or so, thanks to their ingratiating charm. I think the story would have been better had the townspeople lived up to what Dunne thought of them, though it was kind of refreshing that the stereotype of uptight citizens got a rest. It kept me watching. The script was better than the story deserved, but when is story that important in classic film? After having heard two widely differing comments on this film, I was pleasantly surprised by it.

It has lots of great sets to look at! I am in love with Dunne's cottagey home, with the stone facings inside and the chintz. Throw me a movie with good costumes, good actors and a cottage and you've already got me halfway to liking the film :D

Bottom line, while it isn't a great film, I would watch it again on a rainy day, when I want to feel cozy and warm.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Glad you liked it. In the hands of two others not up to Boyer and Dunne it isn't near as much fun.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I agree. I don't think I've seen Dunne any more charming than here. Boyer makes her seem girlish and very feminine, just like he brought out those qualities in Jean Arthur in History is made At Night.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Loving your new avatar Jaxxxon. And enjoyed your review of "Together Again." It in itself is cozy and warm and makes a person want to check out the film. Of course a movie starring Dunne and Boyer helps too.