WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
RedRiver

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by RedRiver »

An underrated movie that is very enjoyable.

I couldn't find fault with COWBOY if I tried!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I did watch a video Sunday. My issue is not with the movie, but with Red Box. You're only allowed one day before late charges kick in. If the machine is out of order, what do you do? Driving to another location is one thing. But I'm living without a car right now. I walk! I called customer service. They graciously awarded me two free rentals. But the call from my pre-pay cell phone cost more than the late fee! Not worth it.

Even the movie was disappointing. EXTREMELY LOUD AND INCREDIBLY CLOSE is a post 9/11 story, focusing on the loss suffered by a young boy. An important story about relevant issues. Unfortunately, little of it works. Slow moving. Unpleasant, as people mistreat each other. Dialogue that takes too long to get to the point. I certainly respect the efforts of filmmakers to address the trauma that resulted from that day in 2001. It will, and should be, the subject of movies for many years. This movie fails in its attempt to translate that responsibility into effective drama.

Now I can't even return it!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I'm so glad you got to watch Night Flight, I've enjoyed the reviews, it sounds like TCM has had been hard to leave alone over August, so many good movies.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Alison, it's one of the ones I've recorded for you. Package on it's way by end of week! :lol: :lol:
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Today I watched "Cobb" (1994) directed by Ron Shelton.

I had heard nothing but bad things about this movie, which is why I waited about 20 years to see it. I came away greatly impressed. "Cobb" isn't a movie you 'like.' Tommy Lee Jones plays Ty Cobb as a guy who was mad, bad and dangerous to know. Robert Wuhl, the ostenstible hero, a sportswriter who is working on Cobb's biography, can be seen as a two-faced weasel. Some of the scenes of Cobb being ill are difficult to watch.

And yet, "Cobb" gives the sense of catching life and American culture on the screen to a far greater degree than most movies ever try. "Cobb" opens with a newsreel about Ty Cobb, so I suppose this movie is begging to be compared to "Citizen Kane," but I think "Cobb" can stand in "Kane's" company as a film that says something about the national character. I had to keep thinking of my grandfather as I watched this film. "Cobb" doesn't look away from the fact that people in the past acted and thought differently than we do.

Wasn't 1994 the year of "Pulp Fiction"? I guess everyone was too busy worshipping at the shrine of St. Tarantino to pay attention to this film, which is a shame.
charliechaplinfan

knitwit45 wrote:Alison, it's one of the ones I've recorded for you. Package on it's way by end of week! :lol: :lol:
Bless you, I can't wait :D :D
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

COBB is not a bad movie. It's not one I'd watch over and over. But Jones' characterization is interesting. So is Wuhl's. It's worth watching.
feaito

Post by feaito »

I saw John Huston's "Across the Pacific" (1942) and I enjoyed it very much. Not a legendary Noir like "The Maltese Falcon" (1941), but a WWII Espionage Thriller with Noir and comedy elements, in which Bogey plays a more human character and Mary Astor displays the comedic skills she used in "Midnight" (1939) and "The Palm Beach Story" (1942).

Astors' chemistry and rapport with Bogey in their tongue-in-cheek scenes together is huge. I enjoyed their interplay much more than in TMF (pardon me experts :roll: ). I also liked the scenes in which Bogey compared his gun with Greenstreet's and stated twice "Mine is bigger"....Only Huston coulg get away with that! :D

A highly enjoyable film.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

:-)
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

feaito wrote:I saw John Huston's "Across the Pacific" (1942) ... Astors' chemistry and rapport with Bogey in their tongue-in-cheek scenes together is huge. I enjoyed their interplay much more than in TMF
( pardon me experts :roll: ).
Fernando, I'm so happy you got to see "Souls At Sea." If I'm quick about it, I hope to see it as well. As for Astor's and Bogie's chemistry in "Across the Pacific" I agree that it was much much more in this film than in the "...Falcon" movie. And it's not b'cuz one is a comedy and the other a drama. They looked like they were both having such fun with each other in the "...Pacific." Were they even acting? :-)
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
feaito

Post by feaito »

CineMaven wrote:
feaito wrote:I saw John Huston's "Across the Pacific" (1942) ... Astors' chemistry and rapport with Bogey in their tongue-in-cheek scenes together is huge. I enjoyed their interplay much more than in TMF
( pardon me experts :roll: ).
Fernando, I'm so happy you got to see "Souls At Sea." If I'm quick about it, I hope to see it as well. As for Astor's and Bogie's chemistry in "Across the Pacific" I agree that it was much much more in this film than in the "...Falcon" movie. And it's not b'cuz one is a comedy and the other a drama. They looked like they were both having such fun with each other in the "...Pacific." Were they even acting? :-)
I know what you mean Theresa; Astor was so relaxed, playful, sexy, aware of her charms and Bogart responded so well to them...it didn't seem forced or calculated, it flowed. When she got seasick, when she got sunburnt, etc.... especially in all the scenes on board the ship. Superb! Very sexy indeed.

As for "Souls at Sea" (1937), I wrote my mini-opinion on the Raft thread, since I felt that this film belonged to him in a way. He's terrific in it. Thanks again for pointing out to me its availability on youtube.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

You've nailed it, Feaito. The Huston film is fun. Is it as memorable as "Falcon"? No. As thorough as ASPHALT JUNGLE? Maybe not. But the pace and the playfulness never let up. The sense of adventure, both personal and on the larger scale, is infectious. Directors always tell young actors, "If you have fun with it, the audience will."

"Souls at Sea"...the Raft thread

There's gotta be a pun in there somewhere!
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Today I watched "Applause" (1929) directed by Rouben Mamoulian.

It took me a while to get into the movie. The sound seemed distant in the opening scenes, (which made me feel like I could not connect with the characters and story) and there were some "arty" shots that seemed to be the work of a director yelling "Hey, look how clever I am!" But as the movie went along, it grew on me. "Applause" will never be a favorite of mine. The Helen Morgan character is way too passive and can't see what everyone else in the theater knows at first glance (that her boyfriend is a real jerk). But the stylistic hijinx settle down, and the frankness of the movie about sexual desire and sexual politics won me over. Also, "Applause" moves in a powerful and creative way that later, more famous films, such as "Little Caesar" and "Dracula," utterly fall short of. (Those films are carried by the performances of Robinson and Lugosi, not by their filmmaking skill.) While it is in English, with characters speaking American slang with ease, "Applause" hardly seems like a Hollywood film. This is a classic that deserves its reputation.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u]feaito[/u] wrote:I know what you mean Theresa; Astor was so relaxed, playful, sexy, aware of her charms and Bogart responded so well to them...it didn't seem forced or calculated, it flowed. When she got seasick, when she got sunburnt, etc.... especially in all the scenes on board the ship. Superb! Very sexy indeed.
I like how you expressed that. And I agree with your assessment. Yeah, I remember the seasick scene. They were a very sexy duo. Comedy can bring out the sexiness in a relationship. When I recently watched "IN A LONELY PLACE" for an upcoming "MovieCHAT" with Bob Reagan, I remember remarking to myself, how slyly funny Bogart was with his scenes with Mildred, the HatCheck Girl. I sort of forgot how wonderfully wry my sweet little Bogie can be. As for Mary Astor...sexy? Yes. Yes, indeed. Not in a va-va-va-voom way, but in an intelligent, smart way. As Bogie might say, "...she's a good guy!"
As for "Souls at Sea" (1937), I wrote my mini-opinion on the Raft thread, since I felt that this film belonged to him in a way. He's terrific in it. Thanks again for pointing out to me its availability on youtube.
You're very welcome, Fernando. I did see your "mini"-review over there on the Raft thread, and will be sure to add my thoughts there if I get to see the movie sooner than later. Alison was very impressed with the film, so that's my cue to check it out.
RedRiver wrote:"Souls at Sea"...the Raft thread
There's gotta be a pun in there somewhere!
And if it's a corny one...it's a cinch you'll find it.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
charliechaplinfan

I'm looking forward to your Moviechat on In A Lonely Place, one of Bogart's best roles and most unsettling ones I think.

I haven't watched Souls at Sea yet, I watched Spawn of the North which was made around the same time, I'm looking forward to Souls at Sea though, I'm glad you enjoyed it Fernando. I'm finding both my film viewing and postings on this site have been hit this week by a case of new puppy, which reminds me of potty training and toddlers roled into one but I'm assured that service will resume soon.