WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
Ann Harding

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by Ann Harding »

I guessed I have never been very attracted by the 'Latino type'. My type is more the witty, educated Anglo-Saxon or the tall brooding type like William S. Hart.

I recorded Bonjour Tristesse (1958, O. Preminger) recently. This adaptation of Françoise Sagan's novel boasts a very starry cast: Jean Seberg, David Niven and Deborah Kerr. But I find the Sagan plot rather weak. The destiny of Seberg and her philandering father (Niven) didn't really interest me beyond the gorgeous cinematography by Georges Périnal. Deborah Kerr is a bit wasted as a putative mother-in-law that Seberg is doing her best to get rid of. Seberg is lovely, but I found the film overall a bit weak.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh, I love Bonjour Tristesse! Perhaps the plot is weak, the story itself is so short, the book, I mean. But Preminger captures it faithfully, also the feeling of ennui and laziness inherent in this lifestyle. I just love the movie more and more each time I see it.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I read the book, I quite liked it, I haven't watched the movie. The book is very short, I finished it very quickly. I could picture David Niven and Deborah Kerr so much in the roles.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

JackFavell wrote:Oh, I love Bonjour Tristesse! Perhaps the plot is weak, the story itself is so short, the book, I mean. But Preminger captures it faithfully, also the feeling of ennui and laziness inherent in this lifestyle. I just love the movie more and more each time I see it.
It is one of my favorite David Niven's movies ... and one's of Preminger's better works.
charliechaplinfan

I'm going to have to watch it then.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

It's my second favorite Preminger movie. It didn't really move me the first time I saw it. But the milieu and the acting drew me back again and again and now I think it's brilliant! :D

It is extremely well cast, although Jean Seberg looks nothing like Francoise Sagan. I always thought the girl in To Catch a Thief was more the right type, but of course, one of the draws for me is to watch Seberg. I like her tremendously, and I think it was very canny of Preminger to cast her. We totally understand her emotions, she's very clear in her confusion, frustration and unhappiness, and even though she does some horrible things, we still like her. David Niven is perfection as Raymond, and somehow Deborah Kerr enters the mix and totally skews everything, just by her prim manner. This role is one of her finest I think, she's so suited to it.

I think Seberg got a bum rap, she's a very modern actress, less is more, and because of this many thought she couldn't act. She has something indefinable about her, in every film I've seen, I don't exactly know what it is, a mystique, but it makes you watch her.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u]Ann Harding[/u] wrote:I guessed I have never been very attracted by the 'Latino type'. My type is more the witty, educated Anglo-Saxon or the tall brooding type like William S. Hart.
Who would those be Ann? I can only think right now, of Leslie Howard. But you've made some fans with your Western pick.
I recorded Bonjour Tristesse (1958, O. Preminger) recently. This adaptation of Françoise Sagan's novel boasts a very starry cast: Jean Seberg, David Niven and Deborah Kerr. But I find the Sagan plot rather weak. The destiny of Seberg and her philandering father (Niven) didn't really interest me beyond the gorgeous cinematography by Georges Périnal. Deborah Kerr is a bit wasted as a putative mother-in-law that Seberg is doing her best to get rid of. Seberg is lovely, but I found the film overall a bit weak.
I have great fun watching that film. It's a psychoanalyst's dream.

[u]charliechaplinfan[/u] wrote:I read the book, I quite liked it, I haven't watched the movie. The book is very short, I finished it very quickly. I could picture David Niven and Deborah Kerr so much in the roles.
Alison, I hope you do watch it. You'll see how "BRILLIANT" it is.

FATHER & DAUGHTER

ELECTRA GOES WILD - is that the classic triangle or what...

...And once you see it you'll know why some of us around here laughingly use the word "brilliant." At the very least it's a gorgeous looking movie.
[u]JackFavell[/u] wrote:It's my second favorite Preminger movie. It didn't really move me the first time I saw it. But the milieu and the acting drew me back again and again and now I think it's brilliant! :D ...I think Seberg got a bum rap, she's a very modern actress, less is more, and because of this many thought she couldn't act. She has something indefinable about her, in every film I've seen, I don't exactly know what it is, a mystique, but it makes you watch her.
Here here Jaxxxon. I'm a Seberg fan too. I remember a late movie of hers...or was it a tv-movie called "MOMENT TO MOMENT." Married...has an affair... ( I always liked Arthur Hill's voice. Maybe that's why I like Senator Joe Sestak. He reminds me of Arthur Hill. Seberg had a beautiful clean American face.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Here here Jaxxxon. I'm a Seberg fan too. I remember a late movie of hers...or was it a tv-movie called "MOMENT TO MOMENT." Married...has an affair... ( I always liked Arthur Hill's voice. Maybe that's why I like Senator Joe Sestak. He reminds me of Arthur Hill. Seberg had a beautiful clean American face.

That's very well put!I wonder if that film is available?

I would say that there is something beyond the fresh beauty, something that Capucine also had, a nervous, unknowable quality. I remember reading a book on Buster Keaton that had a chapter called "The Keaton NO." It was all about how at certain points in his movies, Keaton would (sometimes literally) put his hand up over the camera lens and not let you look any further, leaving whatever was there up to your imagination. No going back to it either, it was simply off limits, which makes something all the more intriguing. I get that feeling with Seberg and Capucine, that there is some great feeling under those beautiful faces, but that they are holding back from you, they don't want to let you see the vulnerability. Of course this draws you to them rather than away as they would wish.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I am not the least bit familiar with this movie. How have I missed it?
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Maybe you missed the thread over at TCM city - "Bonjour Tristesse... AGAIN????"

:D :D
charliechaplinfan

Ann Harding wrote:I guessed I have never been very attracted by the 'Latino type'. My type is more the witty, educated Anglo-Saxon or the tall brooding type like William S. Hart.
I missed your quote Christine. As you well know my Anglo Saxon taste is predominantly for French (Boyer, Chevalier, Gabin)or Italian( Mastroianni, Gassman) :wink:
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Today I watched "Magnolia" (1999) directed by Paul Thomas Anderson.

I had mixed feelings about it. While it was well executed, it seemed like a quasi-remake of "Short Cuts," and I just kept thinking the Altman film was better. There could have been a compelling film made about the little boy game show contestant, maybe even including the older, screwed up former child prodigy as well, but all the stories in "Magnolia" didn't work together for me.

I really thought Tom Cruise was great as the sex guru. Again, his story would have made for a compelling film, but linking it to these others didn't quite work for me.

John C. Reilly got on my nerves. He sounded like the old Bugs Bunny foe Pete Puma here, and even when he said stuff that made sense, I wanted to laugh at him. Julienne Moore seemed as if she had nothing to do in this film but spew profanity to cover up how little she had to do.

I thought "Boogie Nights" was good, but not the greatest American film since "Citizen Kane." I came away really disliking "There Will Be Blood." "Magnolia" between those two for me.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I reacted to MAGNOLIA just as you did, but for different reasons. I kind of liked John Reilly's insecure police officer ("They call me Barney Fife!), could not stand the Tom Cruise character. I understand we're not supposed to like him. Are we supposed to walk out of the theatre? I almost did! Some modern filmmakers seem to think art must be revolting. I'd just as soon it not be, thank you!

Still, much of the intelligent story did intrigue me. The interweaving of subplots was nice. This is a concept P.T. Anderson shows talent for. I appreciated that it was all thoughtful. Not violent, action-packed or explosively visual. All in all, I recommend the movie. But not with a lot of enthusiasm.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[color=#4000BF][u]charliechaplinfan[/u][/color] wrote:
[color=#804000][u]Ann Harding[/u][/color] wrote:I guessed I have never been very attracted by the 'Latino type'. My type is more the witty, educated Anglo-Saxon or the tall brooding type like William S. Hart.
I missed your quote Christine. As you well know my Anglo Saxon taste is predominantly for French (Boyer, Chevalier, Gabin)or Italian( Mastroianni, Gassman) :wink:
SPICY...
ImageImageImageImageImage

...and not a fish & chip in the bunch.

During LI0N POWER the promo chockfull of trailers of upcoming 60's movies, ( which came on this morning between "The House of Seven Corpses" and "House 0n Haunted Hill" ) I saw the most frightening thing I've seen in a good long while. Edward G. Robinson is dancing with Raquel Welch in the trailer for "The Biggest Bundle of Them All." There he was, wiggling and shaking his arms & fingers. Yeah...this was the end of Rico.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com