WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
RedRiver

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by RedRiver »

I watched the religious testament, THE MIRACLE OF OUR LADY OF FATIMA. As the library computer system just wiped out my entire post, I'll just say I liked it! Lord help me.
DavidLanceRoten

Post by DavidLanceRoten »

[vimeo][/vimeo]

I dig Elizabeth Taylor. What can I say :D
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u][color=#0000BF]KING[/color][/u] [u][color=#0000BF]RAT[/color][/u] wrote:A note about Richard Long, who’s delightful as the older daughter’s fiancée who dances the Bunny Hug with Stanwyck:
Ahhhhhh, didn't realize they worked together before "THE BIG VALLEY."

...couldn’t he have played most of the big roles that Universal gave to Rock Hudson and John Gavin? I have no trouble seeing him in Magnificent Obsession, All That Heaven Allows, Imitation of Life, or in either the Rock Hudson or Robert Stack parts in Written on the Wind.
Fine actor, great voice. Believable. Really enjoyed Richard Long with Loretta Young in "THE STRANGER." But Brother Rat, why deprive us girls of looking at the tall dark and extremely handsome Rock Hudson. (( :shock: ))
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I read he was married to actress Suzan Ball for fourteen months before her death from cancer. And then later he married the beautiful Mara Corday. They had three kids and were married for seventeen years until Long's death from a heart attack.

Yes, a fine actor. A successful one. He reminds me a little of Gig Young and a little of Robert Goulet. No, definitely not shabby in the looks department.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I always saw the Gig Young resemblance. A little less worn perhaps!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I re-watched NORTH BY NORTHWEST late night on TCM (it was on last night) and I learned more about the film itself understood Leo G. Carroll's role (as the Professor) was and I learned to appreciate this fine film even more. I had a ball watching it last night.
DavidLanceRoten

Rita Hayworth wrote:I re-watched NORTH BY NORTHWEST late night on TCM (it was on last night) and I learned more about the film itself understood Leo G. Carroll's role (as the Professor) was and I learned to appreciate this fine film even more. I had a ball watching it last night.

One of my favorites. Probably seen it about 24, 25 times now. But to me, never gets old. Great Hitch film. 8)
DavidLanceRoten

[vimeo][/vimeo]

I've had this on the DVR for months. Finally watched it. I like Priscilla Lane. And I am fond of the light hearted 30's and 40's comedy films. It's a cutesy film. Wayne Morris steals the show.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

DavidLanceRoten wrote:
Rita Hayworth wrote:I re-watched NORTH BY NORTHWEST late night on TCM (it was on last night) and I learned more about the film itself understood Leo G. Carroll's role (as the Professor) was and I learned to appreciate this fine film even more. I had a ball watching it last night.

One of my favorites. Probably seen it about 24, 25 times now. But to me, never gets old. Great Hitch film. 8)

Thanks for sharing this ... :)
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Brother Rat and a Baby - I have to find this movie and I was surprised to see both Ronald Reagan and Jane Wyman in this movie. Sounds like a winner - DavidLanceRoten!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

There's even a movie that features Reagan and Nancy Davis (Reagan). HELLCATS OF THE NAVY. That must have been a hit with the college crowd in the 1980s!
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Today I watched "Under the Volcano" (1984) directed by John Huston.

I had never seen the movie before. I only knew about "Under the Volcano" because a professor I detested said it was the greatest novel about alcoholism ever written. So I skipped the movie.

I'm glad I finally gave it a chance. It took a while to get started, but I thought Albert Finney gave a terrific performance and really threw himself into the role as the doomed Englishman. Jacqueline Bisset could not have been better as the wife, and Anthony Andrews rounded out the triangle quite nicely.

There was a valedictory air to the movie, and at times I thought of "The Misfits" and "Treasure of the Sierra Madre," but "Under the Volcano" had its own identity and strength. (Loved the fact that it included clips of Peter Lorre in "Mad Love.") Still, as good as this was, I'm glad Huston was able to make "Prizzi's Honor" and "The Dead" after finishing this.
DavidLanceRoten

[vimeo][/vimeo]

DVR'ed this off Fox Movie Channel and watched it. I like Ginger. Not the biggest Menjou fan but he was entertaining enough here with the courtroom antics :D