Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by MissGoddess »

I love this movie (Until They Sail).
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I've never seen "Until They Sail" from beginning to end. I have it playing in the background and I'm just marvelling at what the gist of the story is. Had "BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT" on a little earlier...and I gotta say, BARBARA NICHOLS was an absolute hooooot in that movie. AND she got to work with the great Fritz Lang.

They don't make B girls like they used to. But as we've all noted in our "SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS" discussion...Barbara Nichols was, of course, much much more.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Barbara was a lot of fun in all her pictures. And you should watch all of Until They Sail...it has your boy Paul in it!
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Paul Douglas? :D

I really liked Until They Sail, it's another Jean Simmons film I really enjoy. I like all the different stories, how the girls are all so different in their reactions.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

JackFavell wrote:Paul Douglas?
That's my Paul...unless you want to share him. :D :D
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Hey... OK. :D
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

You guys are all over the map here, but...

ImageImage

I can see how you would get these two mixed up.

I watched all of "UNTIL THEY SAIL" and was shocked to see how it all ended for Piper Laurie! I think she really paid the price for those four years of Yanks she perused. Shocking. And I did see Newman, Paul Newman. Very sedate he was. Again I was shocked when I heard him say "I don't love you. And I don't want to marry you." He was a far cry from Hud alright. Wow! Oh, and four years later he would do "THE HUSTLER" with Piper. Jean Simmons...a doll.

charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I have been watching movies, I've just been posting them all on the Spencer Tracy thread. To highlight the hugebut brilliant biography of Spencer I've tried to watch movies I've not seen before 20,000 Years at Sing Sing, San Francisco, The Seventh Cross and The Sea of Grass. Wonderful actor.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Jean Simmons and Audrey Hepburn were the same person. Most people don't know that. Piper Laurie is terrific in THE HUSTLER. So is Newman. Close call that it is, I consider that his best work. It's also one of my favorite movies. Nobody likes that film as much as I do!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u][color=#FF0000]RedRiver[/color][/u] wrote:Jean Simmons and Audrey Hepburn were the same person.
HA! You mad man! Well at least vocally they were the same person.

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

RedRiver wrote:Most people don't know that. Piper Laurie is terrific in THE HUSTLER. So is Newman. Close call that it is, I consider that his best work. It's also one of my favorite movies. Nobody likes that film as much as I do!
Well, you haven't met my brother. He was so influenced by this movie and Ocean's Eleven (the original with The Rat Pack) that my parents were worried that he was going to become an honest to gosh traveling pool hustler, or worse. During this stage he only spoke to me (addressing me as "squirt") with those hooded, Paul Newman eyes and patented "nobody knows the trouble I've seen" shrug of indifference. In short order, my big bro found the only pool hall extant in our small city and hung around so much that the guy who ran it gave him a job! My brother was only 13 or 14 at the time. Fortunately, my father "had a talk" with the proprietor (who was--fortunately--a decent enough guy, for a small-time bookie). The result: the son and heir was newly unemployed...but he now spent every waking moment imitating Steve McQueen instead. You guessed it. My brother had now seen The Cincinnati Kid (1965). :roll:
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I hope he didn't watch LOST WEEKEND!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I love your story Moira, what did he settle down to eventually? Something sensible or did he follow his dreams? That pool hall guy was a descent person, did your brother ever realise what had happened to his job?
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

RedRiver wrote:I hope he didn't watch LOST WEEKEND!
Nah! We saw that one in real life all around us back then in my parents' generation, and fortunately, have somehow avoided falling down the alcoholic well of loneliness (*knock on wood*). Besides, Ray Milland's Don Birnam was many things...but cool? Not exactly.
charliechaplinfan wrote:I love your story Moira, what did he settle down to eventually? Something sensible or did he follow his dreams? That pool hall guy was a descent person, did your brother ever realise what had happened to his job?
Oh, he's calmed down a wee bit since then. He is an engineer now, but he heard the siren song of the illicit for several years (don't get me started on the influence of Jim Morrison that came along later in that benighted decade). Being a parent looks hard enough, but I suspect that it was really a sleigh ride to sorrow and worry back in the '60s and '70s.

The wheel of life spun 'round a bit about a decade ago. Just as my brother's son entered puberty, the high stakes world of poker playing was spotlighted in the media and began to be a fad among kids. We all breathed a sigh of relief once he got past that phase. He's a great young man, with a strong relationship with his Dad (though I hope his grandfather is somewhere smiling with bemusement over that ironic coincidence). *whew*
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

have somehow avoided falling down the alcoholic well of loneliness

Glad to hear it, as I continue to struggle with a devastating chocolate chip habit!