WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
feaito

Post by feaito »

I taped it off Cinecanal Classics and now that I have a DVD Recorder I'm waiting it to be scheduled again to have a nice digital print of it (with subtitles of course). Since I know you do not mind Spanish subtitles, I would be willing to make a copy for you :D ... I hope it'll be scheduled again soon :roll:
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I just ordered a dvd recorder myself, and if it comes today this weekend I'll be taking my first baby steps to making my own dvd-r recordings. I will finally be able to make copies of my movies to trade! I'll let you know, thank you about No Time for Love, Feo. Many thanks.
feaito

Post by feaito »

MissGoddess wrote:I just ordered a dvd recorder myself, and if it comes today this weekend I'll be taking my first baby steps to making my own dvd-r recordings. I will finally be able to make copies of my movies to trade!
Congratulations for that!! :D :D
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I've seen a lot of stuff recently. I saw "Sweeny Todd" at the theater and liked it very much. In some ways, this is Burton's best movie. Certainly it should silence all those who say that he can't handle plot. Johnny Depp is very good as Todd, but I thought Helena Bonham Carter was outstanding as Mrs. Lovett. I thought it was brave of her to take such a grotesque role.

As for classics, I saw "What's up doc?" for the first time and thought it was the missing link between "The producers" and "Young Frankenstein." Really, I kept thinking it was a Mel Brooks film. I thought Streisand was terrific and that Ryan O'Neill was not quite right for the part. but then I couldn't think of who in 1972 would have been right for that part. I thought that Bogdanovich handled the physical comedy wonderfully, even if the film itself hewed a bit too closely to "Bringing Up Baby" in plot.

I watched "Bitter Tea of General Yen," which really impressed me. I thought it was better than "The General Died at Dawn." Stanwyck was good, but the cast was impeccable and the film moved quite strongly.

Then I watched von Stroheim's "the Wedding March," which surprised me in that von Stroheim played such a sympathetic character. this is a very romantic movie, but it has grotesque moments (such as the early morning scene of the aristocrats and their beauty aids and how the proletarian lover expresses himself by spitting) that mark this as a film only Erich von Stroheim could have made. both this and "Foolish Wives" made me wish that von Stroheim had made a horror movie as a director.
feaito

Post by feaito »

I watched Paul Verhoeven's "Black Book" (2006) a very entertaining, engrossing film set in the Netherlands during WWII. Good performances, absorbing plot, well set. 8 out of ten.

I also watched a Brazilian comedy-drama titled "A Donha da Historia" (2004). Highly enjoyable. Good actors.
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

Well this movie I watched a TV movie from 1979 called BOGIE it was about his relationship with the two loves of his life. It was more or less a lionization of Bogie as it seemed he never did anything wrong. Heck, they made his affair and marriage to Becall look like sunshine and lollipops 24/7. I know they were one of the great couples of all time but every marriage has its rough spots.

Aside from the relationship stuff it was quite superficial. Truth be told it was a bit of a cheesy film for the most part. The lead (Ken O'Connor) couldn't even keep his Bogie voice intact throughout the movie. At least the actress that played Becall looked a lot like her in a way.

Anywho it wasn't BAD but it wasn't great either.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I watched Night and The City with Richard Widmark and what is almost a cameo from Gene Tierney.

This may be th emost detestable group of people I've ever seen in a movie. Everybody is seedy, dirty or falt out nasty save for Gene and Hugh Marlowe. Maybe it's me but I find it hard to enjoy a movie where you hate nearly everyone in it. That doesn't mean it was bad, in fact Widmark is quite good but you can't stand the character. It certainly has a depressing atmosphere. Everyone is scamming.

It's ok but it was tough to watch for me.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
feaito

Post by feaito »

I have not been able to watch as many films as I would have liked. I've been terribly busy & tired.

Today I finished watching a very insipid, dull romantic 1958 musical "Mardi Gras", starring Pat Boone and Christine Carère. Seldom I feel something I've watched has been a waste of time, but this time I feel it was. I agree with the assesment written on one of my fellow posters here in that "the worst movie is no movie at all", but I found this film quite poor, uneven and badly acted by the two leads.

I recall seeing Ms. Carère many years ago in "A Certain Smile" (1958), which I remember being much more entertaining than "Mardi Gras", but then, that film had Joan Fontaine and Rossano Brazzi to carry things on.

I also saw the second half of "Ma and Pa Kettle on Vacation" (1953), an amiable, harmless entry of the series and had many good laughs.

I began watching "Ramrod" (1947), with Joel McCrea and Veronica Lake, but I quit because I really wasn't in the mood for it... besides, I did not find it a very appealing western. It's directed by Lake's then husband André DeToth, who also directed, among others, "The Other Love" (1947) with Stanwyck and Niven, which has been aired quite a few times lately but I haven't gotten around to watching it (it hasn't good reviews in general).
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I've seen "Ramrod" as well and it's certainly not great. Lake seems all wrong.
Don DeFore is pretty good though.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

Went to the Charles to see Saboteur with Bob Cummings, surely not the first person you'd think of for a Hitchcock hero (but then neither were Stewart or Grant). It's not a great movie, and it seems pretty paranoid in retrospect, with its visions of high society in the pockets of the Nazis, but it's entertaining and if nothing else has the lovely Priscilla Lane to look at.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Many people in the upper echelons of American society were backers of Hitler including Prescott Bush granddaddy of the current President, and Joe Kennedy as US Ambassodor to the Court of St. James certainly graved the approval and appreciation of the Pro - Nazi ' Cliveden Set ' :cry:
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Ken123:

Whoa, before I begin seeing the Kennedys in a whole new light, tell me please, what exactly is the 'Court of St. James'. I hear it all the time, and just imagined it to mean British court, but if that were the case, why wouldn't it be 'Court of King George or Edward' (whoever it was during the war)?

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Anne,

I really have no idea why it called the Court of St.James . maybe something about the Royals ( especially those with Stuart Blood ) being related to Jesus. I am not kidding :wink:
ken123

Post by ken123 »

The Bush family ties to fascism & Wall Street interests are a well known, as well as their connection to Secret Societies ( Skull & Bones ), the CIA and opium . Skull & Bones is financed by The Russell Trust founded on monies gotten through the Chinese opium trade, controlled by the Boston Brahmans.

The Kennedys, even though old Joe was a bootlegger have no such connections. In fact IMHO the Kennedy brothers were killed by
" ultra right " ( fascist ) forces. The same forces that are leading the USA headlong into a totalitarian state.

In fact Poppa Joe links to organized crime may have had something to do with his sons being murdered. Many organized crimes figures linked to JFK - RFK political opponents were involved in the killings. " Kid Cann "* , leader of the Minnesota mob had close ties with Humphrey, Mickey Cohen and Moe Dalitz with Nixon, Goldwater with the Chicago and Phoenix mobs.Cohen and "Cann " winding up in prison.

*aka Isidor Blumenfeld
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Yesterday I watched a Borzage picture: Living On Velvet (1935) with Kay Francis, Warren William & George Brent. Around that period, Borzage was under contract at Warner's. I don't think he was very happy within the studio and it's reflected in this film. But, overall, this is certainly the best Warner film he made. The storyline has some wonderful bitter accents that are not achieved completely on the screen alas.... George Brent is supposed to be a devil-may-care pilot who lost all will to live after the death of his parents and sister in his own plane. Until he meets Kay Francis who is doing her best to 'wake him up' to reality...
If it weren't for lovely Kay Francis, the film would be really boring. The main problem is George Brent. He is so dull and bland, it looks as if the expression 'wooden acting' was made for him.... :roll: The part called for a skilled comedian. In the background, Warren William has little to do. That's a shame because he is a far better actor than Brent. Apparently, Warner had the film script modified so that Kay would stay with Brent rather than William who had terminated his contract at Warner's.....the studio policies are just mind-boggling sometimes!!!! :?