Tell Me About Your Hobbies/Interests

Chit-chat, current events
markfp

Post by markfp »

I don't usually tell too much about myself on the web, but since we are all friends here.....

Of course, my main interest and hobby is film. I watch films and collect them on DVD and still a few on VHS. At one time, I collected 16mm films, but that got a little too pricey for me.

I love to travel. In fact, tomorrow, my wife and I are leaving for 9 days in Ireland.

Reading. I love mystery books and and will also read just about anything else.

Animals. Am very much interested in animal rescue and I help support a large animal rescue organization that was the lead rescue group during Hurricane Katrina.

Music. I'm really into American folk music and after a couple of trips to Ireland am developing an interest in Irish music also. I like listening to Jazz, but don't have much knowledge of it.

Those are my main hobbies and interests.
sugarpuss

Re: The Blues Are Brewin'

Post by sugarpuss »

benwhowell wrote:Seriously, I have a huge t-shirt collection that may (someday) become a quilt...with a curious story.
Ben, this idea intrigues me. What kind of t-shirts are you talking about - rock music t-shirts? The kind you get when you visit a different state? Ones with funny slogans?

I've never thought about doing something like that. I have about 75-100 different rock/indie music t-shirts from high school that I can't part with, yet I wouldn't wear them now because that's not my style anymore (My opinion: I feel once you reach your late 20's, it's hard to wear shirts of bands you don't even listen to anymore or rock music shirts in general).
movieman1957 wrote:She also likes chess (as do I) but we don't play too often. The basic moves are easy but to learn the game is so complex.
Learning to play chess has been on my docket for about 3 years. I first became interested in it when I was watching Joan of Arcadia. I'm not sure if anyone else watched it, but there was a whole episode where God told Joan to play chess and I thought, "Hey! Learning to play chess sounds like fun!" I went out to Borders the next day, bought my self a book on playing chess, hit Target and bought myself a little chess set and...I still don't know how to play it. A few weeks ago, I finally cracked open the book and opened the game up. The next step is to read the book and put the pieces on the board. Baby steps!
"Some of the best parts of life are frivolous." - Arthur Kennedy in A Summer Place
-----
The Roadshow Version: A Modern Take on Classic Movies
knitwit45

t shirt quilt

Post by knitwit45 »

Ben, I have a friend who took her daughter's old t shirts and made a memory quilt from them. It was such a success, her daughters friends have all begged for her to make one for each of them.
Wish I'd saved my 2 sons' shirts!

Good luck
Nancy
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: The Blues Are Brewin'

Post by movieman1957 »

sugarpuss wrote:
Learning to play chess has been on my docket for about 3 years. I first became interested in it when I was watching Joan of Arcadia. I'm not sure if anyone else watched it, but there was a whole episode where God told Joan to play chess and I thought, "Hey! Learning to play chess sounds like fun!" I went out to Borders the next day, bought my self a book on playing chess, hit Target and bought myself a little chess set and...I still don't know how to play it. A few weeks ago, I finally cracked open the book and opened the game up. The next step is to read the book and put the pieces on the board. Baby steps!
Look for the movie "Searching for Bobby Fisher." A fine film about a young chess prodigy. It stars Ben Kingsley among others.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I grew up with chess as my father plays and used to enter tournaments and has always played postal chess (he actually was chosen to represent the U.S. in international competition), but he has been playing by email the last 10 years or so.

It's an interesting game that requires one to not just think of his next move, but actually calculate moves and countermoves in advance. One of the best films I saw repesenting this idea was The Luzhin Defence (2000). While the film is not my favorite, the concept of how they showed the players minds working during the game was very well done and came the closest I have yet seen in reperesenting how the game is actually thought out and played.
benwhowell

How To Make A T-Shirt Quilt...

Post by benwhowell »

sugarpuss, my t-shirt collection is quite eclectic. I had to limit it to the most "unique" ones for lack of storage space. The ones that I treasure the most are my "Wizard Of Oz," various Stanley DeSantis "Passing4sane" designs, "obscure" celebrities and cows. (I collect cows.) I can't remember if I saved many music t-shirts.
BTW-I wear my Peanuts t-shirts proudly...and I'll be in my late '40's next month! :D
I can't remember what magazine I first saw instructions on how to make a t-shirt quilt...It may have been the cool "Budget Living" (now defunct) or "Ready Made." (I collect magazines too!) I saw a book at Target recently. Here's a link for a "twelve-step program" in making a t-shirt quilt.
http://www.ehow.com/how_18557_make-t-shirt.html
Of course, it would be more fun (and inspiring) to watch "How To Make An American Quilt" first. Great movie!
Loved your chess story. It reminded me of a couple of projects that are still in a "holding pattern" for me-origami and yoga. I bought the books and the materials needed-including a great yoga mat found at Target (on clearance,) but there's never enough hours in the day...
Moraldo Rubini

Re: How To Make A T-Shirt Quilt...

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

benwhowell wrote:Of course, it would be more fun (and inspiring) to watch "How To Make An American Quilt" first. Great movie!
I'll never forget the moment Jonathon Schaech appeared on the screen in that movie. "Who's he?!" The sexiest screen presence I'd ever seen. Too bad his career's been fizzling. He recently divorced Christina Applegate, and I think he's been relegated to B-horror movies. I had such high hopes...
knitwit45

How to make a T-shirt Quilt

Post by knitwit45 »

Ben, when you mentioned Music t-shirts, it reminded me of one I would have committed severe damage to own.... I saw it "walking" down the street in Lawrence KS (home of Kansas University-rock chalk Jayhawks!!!)

It was a PINK shirt with a picture of Floyd the Barber (Andy Griffith show). I asked the guy where he got it, but the shop had been told rather impolitely to cease and desist. Seems there were copyright issues, both for the Barber, and Pink Floyd. Phooey.
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

Moraldo Rubini wrote: I'll never forget the moment Jonathon Schaech appeared on the screen in that movie. "Who's he?!" The sexiest screen presence I'd ever seen. Too bad his career's been fizzling. He recently divorced Christina Applegate, and I think he's been relegated to B-horror movies. I had such high hopes...
Christina is single now? Oh good...
benwhowell

"Then what did Calvin Coolidge say?"

Post by benwhowell »

Nancy, that sounds like a t- shirt I would have "committed severe damage to own" too! I've always loved Pink Floyd and have a strange obsession with Floyd Lawson. Walter Baldwin played Floyd in one episode and then, of course, Howard McNear made him one of the most beloved characters on the show. McNear joked that he was playing Floyd Lawson, Jr. Unfortunately, McNear spent most of his run on "The Andy Griffith Show" sitting down-as a result of a massive stroke. I'm always thrilled when an episode comes on with him walking around. Either way, he had brilliant comic timing.
sugarpuss

Post by sugarpuss »

benwhowell wrote:BTW-I wear my Peanuts t-shirts proudly...and I'll be in my late '40's next month! :D
Hey, I still wear my Peanuts shirts too, except that I usually sleep in mine! They're still making lots of Peanuts/Snoopy sleepwear and everytime I see something new, I buy it. I keep telling myself, "It's for my collection!"

I've done a lot of cleaning in the past few weeks (I'm not sure if cleaning would be an interest or a hobby, but I've become obsessed with it as of late and I'm sure the neighbors are curious to the massive amounts of trash I've beeen throwning out) and I'm amazed by all the Peanuts stuff I've amassed over the years. Toys, games, figurines, coloring books--even a Snoopy doghouse snowcone machine! I have the "talking" Snoopy doll from the 80's (with cassettes). I never got the "talking" Charlie Brown to go with it though. I can't part with any of it. I'm thinking about buying a nice cabinet to display it all, because it's a shame to keep it all tucked away in Rubbermaid containers.

Chris and Mr. Arkadin, thank you for the chess movie recommendations. When I start playing, I'll be sure to check them out. Maybe it will make learning easier for me.
"Some of the best parts of life are frivolous." - Arthur Kennedy in A Summer Place
-----
The Roadshow Version: A Modern Take on Classic Movies
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Other than my obvious fixation (my spouse says obsession) on movies (and quality televison series) I am most recently concerned with helping my new bride adjust to her new household. It's never easy for someone entering a household with children from a previous marriage, no matter how much they all like each other. That's priority/hobby number one right now, and the best possible investment of my energies.

Next in line would be my love of sports. I love to watch and play. And since I'm getting a little older and more easily injured I spend more time coaching Jeremy's sportsteams than actually playing. Usually soccer 8 months out of the year and basketball the other 4 months. He is usually involved with 4-5 teams a year so this uses up much of what little free time I have left. Throw in some homework help with Tina and I'm good.

If there's any time left over after a job that requires 50-60 hours a week I try to sneak a little shuteye!
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.