WHAT FOREIGN FILMS HAVE YOU WATCHED LATELY?

sandykaypax

Re: WHAT FOREIGN FILMS HAVE YOU WATCHED LATELY?

Post by sandykaypax »

Wanted to repsond about A Royal Affair--I really liked it, too! I also watched it on Netflix streaming--I saw that Swedish actress Alicia Vikander was in it, and since I enjoyed her performance greatly as Kitty in Anna Karenina, I watched it with interest.

Very well done historical drama concerning the Danish court.

Sandy K
Lucky Vassall

Post by Lucky Vassall »

Doing some digging in the Foreign Film Forum, I found Kingrat’s description of La Promesse and was intrigued enough to watch it. It was even better than I expected. My reaction reminded me a lot of my reaction to the French New Wave when it first started. Like those films, I couldn’t believe how their technique made the story seem so real.

That film led me to seek out the Dardenne brothers later film, The Son (Belgium 2002), which is easily the best film I’ve watched this year. Like the earlier film, they use a hand-held camera, lots of close-ups, and keep you guessing as to the meaning of the action. You’ll find lots of other similarities as well, such as the two principals being a grown man and a teenage boy and the fact that we are kept waiting until the climax to find out “will he or won’t he.”

The entire first third of the film leaves you wondering what the principal character is doing, and why. He is played by the actor who played the father in La Promesse, Olivier Goumet, who won the Best Actor Award at the 2002 Cannes Film Festival. The story is told from his point of view, so he is in every scene. We quickly learn that he teaches carpentry at a vocational training center and is divorced, but it’s clear there’s considerably more to his back story than that. Even when we learn more, we are still kept in the dark as to why he does what he does. In fact, in a moving scene, his former wife asks him, “Why?” And his response, “I don’t know,” sums up the entire picture. No wonder he won; how many actors get to play “I don’t know,” for an entire film, and how many could do it and still keep our interest?

I note that Roger Ebert included The Son in his 2002 ten best list, and I certainly have to agree with him. I urge any Foreign Film lover to seek out this film. I guarantee, it’s one you won’t soon forget.
[size=85]AVATAR: Billy DeWolfe as Mrs. Murgatroid, “Blue Skies” (1946)

[b]“My ancestors came over on the Mayflower.”
“You’re lucky. Now they have immigration laws."[/b]
[i]Mae West, The Heat’s On” (1943[/i])

[b]:–)—[/b]
Pinoc-U-no(se)[/size]
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'm totally with you on the Jeanne Moreau day. I would not only get down on bended knees, I'd actually prostrate myself in front of TCM headquarters and/or any of the staff to thank them for that incredible lineup!

You still have some of the best films to see! I agree about La Notte, but it's a dense movie...one I think I could go back to and find more in. Of course, just training the camera on Moreau's face for two hours one could find a wealth of mystery and revelation. I'm beginning to agree with Orson Welles that she is the greatest film actress.
Masha

Post by Masha »

Even Dwarfs Started Small (1970)

This movie was written, produced and directed by Werner Herzog.

I believe that statement is all the description necessary. I believe it explains also why it is such a difficult movie to describe. He has said in interviews that it came to him as a fully-realized nightmare. I consider the movie a great success in that it does let us look into a perverse genius's nightmare. It is nearly as disjointed as any dream and it scratches at the scabs of primal fears.

Inmates take over the asylum. Then what? They realize it would be pointless to escape because they would be quickly caught. It is obvious that there is no place for them in the bleak landscape. This lack of place is truly why they are there in the first place. The situation quickly devolves into tiny debaucheries of juvenile violence and impotent sexuality.

I found the movie as fascinating as it was disturbing. The implications re: unfettered human behaviour are as deep and as far-reaching as it is superficial and shortsighted.

I believe this is one of those movies which a person will either love or hate with very little middle ground. I hesitate for that reason to recommend that any watch it but I do hope that all do watch it at least once for it is a unique experience.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

Watched this film yesterday. The director uses the Bible for some of his story telling and symbols. 8 out of 10 rating for me. Viewed it on the Criterion
DVD. The commentary on the film is very good.
Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow.
D. W. Griffith
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

Masha wrote: December 17th, 2018, 11:36 pm Even Dwarfs Started Small (1970)

This movie was written, produced and directed by Werner Herzog.

I believe that statement is all the description necessary. I believe it explains also why it is such a difficult movie to describe. He has said in interviews that it came to him as a fully-realized nightmare. I consider the movie a great success in that it does let us look into a perverse genius's nightmare. It is nearly as disjointed as any dream and it scratches at the scabs of primal fears.

Inmates take over the asylum. Then what? They realize it would be pointless to escape because they would be quickly caught. It is obvious that there is no place for them in the bleak landscape. This lack of place is truly why they are there in the first place. The situation quickly devolves into tiny debaucheries of juvenile violence and impotent sexuality.

I found the movie as fascinating as it was disturbing. The implications re: unfettered human behaviour are as deep and as far-reaching as it is superficial and shortsighted.

I believe this is one of those movies which a person will either love or hate with very little middle ground. I hesitate for that reason to recommend that any watch it but I do hope that all do watch it at least once for it is a unique experience.

I just watched this one for the first time a few days ago. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I've been watching a lot of Herzog's films lately, including Signs of Life (1968), Fata Morgana (1971), Land of Silence and Darkness (1971), The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser (1974), and The Great Ecstasy of Woodcarver Steiner (1974).

I also finally got around to Pasolini's Trilogy of Life : The Decameron (1971), The Canterbury Tales (1972), and Arabian Nights (1974). I really enjoyed all three.

Today I finally watched Bunuel's The Phantom of Liberty (1974), and loved it.
Watching until the end.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

I watched "A Fine Pair" a few days ago. It has Claudia Cardinale in it as a jewel thief who uses the NY police chief (Rock Hudson) to help her rob an Austrian villa under the pretense that she is returning jewels that someone else stole. It was a really cheesy heist, B film you would expect from Europe at this time. I liked how the plot point was that the villa's alarm was heat sensitive so that they would need to get the heat above 195 degrees and take their clothes off to get inside the villa without triggering it. This was just an excuse to show Cardinale in her panties.

Even Mr. Hudson was probably aroused filming that scene.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Huh, apparently it was scored by Morricone too. I just learned that. Not his best work honestly...

Masha

Post by Masha »

LawrenceA wrote: November 14th, 2022, 5:23 pm
I just watched this one for the first time a few days ago. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I've been watching a lot of Herzog's films lately, including Signs of Life (1968), Fata Morgana (1971), Land of Silence and Darkness (1971), The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser (1974), and The Great Ecstasy of Woodcarver Steiner (1974).

I also finally got around to Pasolini's Trilogy of Life : The Decameron (1971), The Canterbury Tales (1972), and Arabian Nights (1974). I really enjoyed all three.

Today I finally watched Bunuel's The Phantom of Liberty (1974), and loved it.
I consider his: Where the Green Ants Dream (1984) as his most accessible. I have made several attempts but I simply find I can not connect with: The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser (1974) and bail early.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

My opinion of non-Kinski collab Herzog films is not as shining as the two of you but I have to say Stroszek is the film which most perfectly encapsulates life outside Chicagoland. Everyone here are exactly like the oddballs in that film. Leave it to a German to capture Wisconsin perfectly.
Masha

Post by Masha »

LostHorizons wrote: November 15th, 2022, 12:05 pm Everyone here are exactly like the oddballs in that film.
I am sorry to have to tell you that I take great exception to that remark! I am most certainly an oddball like no other.