WHAT FOREIGN FILMS HAVE YOU WATCHED LATELY?

charliechaplinfan

Re: WHAT FOREIGN FILMS HAVE YOU WATCHED LATELY?

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Is Tristana the film where Catherine Deneuve stands on a balcony and bares her body for the field hands standing below her? If that's all I remember of it I agree it's not one of Bunuel's best.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
charliechaplinfan

It might have spiced it up some what if you had.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Tristana is, perhaps, my favorite Bunuel film. Great acting, and cinematography, as well as lots of themes, symbols and motifs telling a story about, about among other things, independence; sexual (the balcony scene) and otherwise. Great film.
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

We did not see many of the 2011 cohort of films, but A SEPARATION (Asghar Farhadi 2011) was easily the best. Every character, at some point, elicits the viewer's sympathy and empathy, but each is also flawed and acts in a way that is not admirable. Except...each lie, each deception, each ill-advised choice is, at some level, justifiable. People whose lives are bound together through love, family and money, but whose desires work at cross-purposes, is universal. Only the language is "foreign."

And even though the movie is gripping throughout, the last 5-10 minutes is one of the best payoffs I have ever seen. I love it when that happens.

Prediction is always a dangerous game, but this could be the movie from 2011 that is still talked about 20 years from now.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
charliechaplinfan

I watched Il Sorpasso or The Easy Life thanks to Christine, it was in Italian with French subs, thank heavens for them, my French is pretty poor but my Italian is none existent despite my language barrier I understood enough to be completely won over by this movie. It gives Vittorio Gassman a cracking role to get his teeth into that of Bruno a fortyish womaniser with an easy going lifestyle who makes a phone call from a shy law student Roberto's appartment one morning and then starts one of the best road movies I've ever watched, scenery from Rome to Tuscany. The law student is played by Jean Louis Trintignant, the men are opposites and Roberto is drawn to Bruno and accompanies him on his travels which includes stopping at both men's families. It's when stopping with Bruno that Roberto realises that Bruno's life isn't as carefree as he thought. Both men learn something from the other, the ending is unforgettable. A must see, I hope TCM plays it one day.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I saw "The Easy Life" about 25 years ago. It didn't do anything for me, but then I seem to have some kind of block when it comes to the films of Dino Risi.

This afternoon I watched "Il Postino," (1995) directed by Michael Radford. It is about the friendship between the exiled Communist poet Pablo Neruda and an Italian mailman. It took a while for me to get into this film, and there were moments when I almost turned it off in the first half-hour. However, I am glad that I stayed with the movie, because it eventually became rather funny (as the poet gives the mailman confidence to pursue the woman of his dreams) and then becomes tragic. It is an interesting film, if not one that completely worked for me. Still, I am glad that I saw it.
feaito

Post by feaito »

charliechaplinfan wrote:I watched Il Sorpasso or The Easy Life thanks to Christine, it was in Italian with French subs, thank heavens for them, my French is pretty poor but my Italian is none existent despite my language barrier I understood enough to be completely won over by this movie. It gives Vittorio Gassman a cracking role to get his teeth into that of Bruno a fortyish womaniser with an easy going lifestyle who makes a phone call from a shy law student Roberto's appartment one morning and then starts one of the best road movies I've ever watched, scenery from Rome to Tuscany. The law student is played by Jean Louis Trintignant, the men are opposites and Roberto is drawn to Bruno and accompanies him on his travels which includes stopping at both men's families. It's when stopping with Bruno that Roberto realises that Bruno's life isn't as carefree as he thought. Both men learn something from the other, the ending is unforgettable. A must see, I hope TCM plays it one day.
I also enjoyed this film very much Alison, I'm happy that you were able to see it :)
charliechaplinfan

I did really like it, I think it helped a great deal that I really enjoy watching Vittorio Gassman and Jean Louis Trintignant. I'll be investigating more Dino Risi.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Today I watched "The Leopard" (1963) directed by Visconti.

Maybe I wasn't in the mood for a three hour movie. But by the time it ended, I was really glad it was over. The ball went on and on and on, and I kept thinking of movies like "The Deer Hunter" and "Age of Innocence" that had scenes that went on and on and on or seemed to be more about furniture and clothing than people. I had to think of the cynic's definition of "heritage film" -- a movie about furniture you wished you owned.

The movie came to life when Claudia Cardinale first appeared. Then that spark of life got smothered.

I would much rather watch Wajda's "Promised Land" (about 19th Century industrialists), Bergman's "Fanny and Alexander" or the Soviet "Quiet Don" (six hours about the Cossacks in WWI and the Russian Civil War) than watch "The Leopard."
feaito

Post by feaito »

It's a pity you did not enjoy it Mike, it's one of my faves and I think it's a masterpiece.
charliechaplinfan

This is one film I've promised to watch again, we're off to Italy tomorrow I'm hoping the experience will help me viewing The Leopard the second time as I'm afraid my first impression was the same as Mike's.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I'll agree with Fernando. One could view The Leopard as The Magnificent Ambersons transplanted to Italy. An amazing epic about the slow erosion of a family, who must change with the times or become extinct, but unlike George, Don Fabrizio is a man who has character and is now forced to compomise his ideals and standards for the good of his family.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I know a lot of people love "The Leopard." Martin Scorsese is one. I just could not warm up to the movie, particularly in the final hour. And, coincidentally, I've never warmed up to "The Magnificent Ambersons" either. Must just be me.