WHAT FOREIGN FILMS HAVE YOU WATCHED LATELY?

EP Millstone

Re: WHAT FOREIGN FILMS HAVE YOU WATCHED LATELY?

Post by EP Millstone »

LostHorizons wrote: November 14th, 2022, 8:29 pm I watched "A Fine Pair" a few days ago . . . This was just an excuse to show Cardinale in her panties.
Did the title perchance refer to a specific part of Cardinale's anatomy?
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

EP Millstone wrote: November 15th, 2022, 3:47 pm
LostHorizons wrote: November 14th, 2022, 8:29 pm I watched "A Fine Pair" a few days ago . . . This was just an excuse to show Cardinale in her panties.
Yes, the fine pair is Cardinale’s tits but also the duo of Cardinale and Hudson.
laffite

Post by laffite »

LostHorizons wrote: November 15th, 2022, 4:21 pm
Yes, the fine pair is Cardinale’s tits but also the duo of Cardinale and Hudson.
Deuces wild, eh?
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

laffite wrote: November 15th, 2022, 4:38 pm
LostHorizons wrote: November 15th, 2022, 4:21 pm

Deuces wild, eh?
This is from IMDB’s trivia page:

> The literal English translation of the originally titled Italian film, is the less provocative, "Steal From Your Neighbor".

“Steal from your neighbor” is a title more indicative of the film but it doesn’t have the bawdy double entendre of the American title. I’ll give this one to the US market distributors.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

After I listened to the music of A Fine Pair that you posted in the Classic Movie Soundtracks thread, LostHorizons (thank you!), my interest in seeing the movie was piqued.

So I watched it, and enjoyed it. For me, the best thing about A Fine Pair was Ennio Morricone's bouncy score. The cinematography, I thought, was off-key for a romantic comedy. Director of photographer Alfio Contini gave the movie the gritty, grimy look of a downbeat low-budget independent movie or a grim poliziottesco.

Another, to me, incongruity was the very Italian-looking Tony Lo Bianco as "Office McClusky."

The chemistry between Rock Hudson and Claudia Cardinale was surprising to me. I consider Hudson's casting as Captain Mike Harmon a warm-up -- or trial run -- for his role as Police Commissioner Stewart McMillan in McMillan & Wife.
Last edited by EP Millstone on December 3rd, 2022, 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

IL VANGELO SECONDO MATTEO (1964)
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

EP Millstone wrote: November 16th, 2022, 9:03 pm After I listened to the music of A Fine Pair that you posted in the Classic Movie Soundtracks thread, LostHorizons (thank you!), my interest in seeing the movie was piqued.

viewtopic.php?p=166419#p166419

So I watched it, and enjoyed it. For me, the best thing about A Fine Pair was Ennio Morricone's bouncy score. The cinematography, I thought, was off-key for a romantic comedy. Director of photographer Alfio Contini gave the movie the gritty, grimy look of a downbeat low-budget independent movie or a grim poliziottesco.

https://www.grindhousedatabase.com/inde ... ime_Cinema

Another, to me, incongruity was the very Italian-looking Tony Lo Bianco as "Office McClusky."

http://www.tonylobianco.com/biography

The chemistry between Rock Hudson and Claudia Cardinale was surprising to me. I consider Hudson's casting as Captain Mike Harmon a warm-up -- or trial run -- for his role as Police Commissioner Stewart McMillan in McMillan & Wife.
I'm glad you enjoyed it. I thought the quick jump cuts and fast editing were awkward too. Another thing that took me off guard was the poor sound editing for the English dub. It was about the same tier as a Shaw Brothers Kung fu movie at times. At one point Rock Hudson is mocking Cardinale's character and a guy off screen goes "she sounds great!" That voice was edited in so awkwardly. LOL
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

I watched “RoadGames”, an horror/ suspense film from Australia. It’s worth watching for the lovey soundtrack by Brian May and the beautiful cinematography of the Outback. Plot wise it is basically Rear Window except the suspected murderer is a driver of a green van in the desert. Something which struck me as odd is the age gap between Stacy Keach and Jamie Lee Curtis whom are paired together on screen in this movie. In fact, at one point Keach even jokingly refers to himself as being her father’s age. I didn’t mind it but it just struck me as the sort of thing which would get “cancelled” nowadays. Older male + younger female relationships in films are criticized much more heavily today with Leo DiCaprio being the most obvious example. Anyways, back to the film, I would rate it 7/10.
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

11/30/2022
GC
Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow.
D. W. Griffith
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

09/02/22
GC
D. W. Griffith
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

Good Flick 10/2022
D. W. Griffith
Arsan444

Post by Arsan444 »

Africa Express (1975). Directed by Michele Lupo. With Giuliano Gemma, Ursula Andress, and Jack Palance.
An American trader in Africa (Gemma) meets a beautiful spy (Andress) and fights an animal trafficker (Palance).
Ok movie that I think is funny and engaging. The highlights are Gemma's goofy performance and his interactions with a crafty priest and a local tribe. Ursula Andress is beautiful as always.
After my computer underwent a successful memory-chip transplant and hard drive surgery, I found two versions of this movie on YouTube, one dubbed in English and one dubbed in Spanish.
When in doubt, have another one.
j.lunatic

Post by j.lunatic »

This past weekend I saw EO (2022)--it is heavily indebted to Au Hazard Balthazar (1966), but tries to show much of the picture from the donkey's perspective. Warning: while the closing credits emphasize that the filmmakers made every effort to protect the animals appearing on the screen, EO's journey takes him to some very grim places (a fur farm, a forest full of poachers, a slaughterhouse in the closing sequence).

Corsage (2022): A revisionist and nonliteral story of Elizabeth of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. She clearly wants to break free from the constraints of her life as the Empress, yet keeps having herself laced into her corsets and doing her duties. If you can accept the plot's anachronisms the production and art direction are gorgeous.
Avatar: Madalynne Field (1907-1974)
Formerly known as Peg of the Precodes on the TCM forums.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/PollyPrecoder/
Arsan444

Post by Arsan444 »

Les Vedettes (The Wannabes). 2022. France. Directed by Jonathan Barré. With Grégoire Ludig, David Marsais. Comedy.

Two coworkers hate each other, but decide to team up to participate in game shows to pay their debts.
Very entertaining and sometimes hilarious movie about two men who can't seem to get a break in life. The movie takes a few jabs at social media stardom, and keeps the satire light and pleasant, which works.
When in doubt, have another one.