WHAT FOREIGN FILMS HAVE YOU WATCHED LATELY?

JackFavell

Re: WHAT FOREIGN FILMS HAVE YOU WATCHED LATELY?

Post by JackFavell »

I had trouble with La Bete Humaine the first time around too, Mike. I am going to try again, because some of my favorites have been slow starters for me.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Mr. Arkadin wrote:
charliechaplinfan wrote:Thank you, I'm going to watch that one all the way through tomorrow, hopefully :wink:
Very good! I assume it is available in R2 over there with subtitles, or perhaps you speak Italian? My print is excellent, but it's a fandub, where someone has placed English subtitles on an Italian print. I'll be interested to know what you think of the film.
Alas it isn't avaialble as a region 2, I just expected to be able to watch it on youtube without thinking about the language. Hopefully one day they'll release it subtitled, starring Gassman and Deneuve it has a lot to recommend it. I consoled myself with Big Deal on Madonna Street a movie I've seen before starring Marcello Mastroianni and Vittorio Gassman. Reading about the movie the producer didn't want Gassman to play the boxer, he was considered too elegant to play the boxer, he wore thick makeup and a false nose to portray him, another source I read about him not being wanted for the role was because he was only considered a serious actor and had no experience with comedy. Whatever the story, he was cast and a new avenue of comedy parts was open to him. The film is a whole lot of fun, inept burglars who mess up at every turn. Along with Gassman as the boxer there's Mastroianni as an unemployed photographer, looking after the baby whilst his wife is in jail for selling cigarettes, Claudia Cardinale is the sister of one of the criminals who is kept under lock and key to keep her pure, Renato Salvatori, Memmo Carotenuto and Carlo Pisacane provide wonderful supporting roles. The italian title means 'persons unknown' which comes into it's own at the end of the movie in one of the funniest crimes of all time. So many good moments in this movie, stealing a camera in the market place with a fake arm, playing dodgems, the missing key, everything Vittorio is in. I love the contrasting characters that Mastroianni and Gassman play two fine actors of similar ages. Many of the jokes seems to be in jokes on Italian manhood or regions which I'm getting better at picking up on.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
charliechaplinfan

I watched Big Deal on Madonna Street 20 years later today. It's not a patch on the original, but thanks to Marcello Mastroianni's character, changed quite a bit from the original, it's worth watching. He ranks as an actor worth watching whatever he's in, some of the other original actors come back to the sequel including Vittorio Gassman who perhaps because of his character's fraility, looked quite frail and thin in his role as Peppe. The scenes between Mastroianni and Gassman were the funniest, especially Mastroianni in drag, frightening Gassman into a heart attack. I'm not sure about the storyline of Marcello's son who thinks he's gay but is suddenly converted.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
feaito

Post by feaito »

I saw the cartoon animated film "L'Illusionniste" (2010), based upon an original screenplay by Jacques Tati and starring the Tati character as the illusionist of the title. It's a beautifully told bittersweet tale of love and loneliness. If you enjoyed "The Triplets of Belleville" (2003) (loved it), also by Sylvain Chomet, you'll like this animated film.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Yesterday I watched "Salvatore Giuliano" (1961), directed by Francesco Rosi, about banditry in Sicily after WWII.

I liked the movie, although I don't have the context to fully understand it. (I noticed that in two scenes, the bandits flew an American flag. I remember that Giuliano supposedly wrote to Truman asking that he make Sicily a state of the union.) However, the movie was so well made that I didn't have to know all the ins and outs of postwar Italy to "get it."

The first hour of the movie reminded me of "The Battle of Algiers," which was made a year or so later. I'm sure "Algiers" could not exist without the example of "Giuliano." some scenes, such as soldiers coming to town, rounding up the men and putting down a protest of women, could easily be passed off as scenes from "Battle of Algiers." The gritty black-and-white photography here made me feel as if I were watching real events, not their re-enactment.

The second hour of the movie is essentially a courtroom drama. Confessions are made, retracted, promised, denied, all building up an atmosphere of real paranoia that leaves the viewer feeling trapped. Oddly, the shift from the action-oriented first hour to the talky second hour works. We come away feeling we understand the atmosphere of betrayal and lies that drove the action in the first hour.

One other benefit of "Salvatore Giuliano" is that it reminded me of "The Sicilian" a Michael Cimino film of the late 80s. Cimino attempted to turn this story into something operatic in glorious technicolor, and it didn't work. I don't usually like bad reviews, but "The Sicilian" was the target of one by Louis Giannetti, professor of film at Case Western Reserve University. "The Sicilian" clearly offended Giannetti, and he tore it to shreds. I remember his description of John Turturo as "running about like a crazed supernumerary in a Verdi opera" with great fondness.
charliechaplinfan

That sounds fascinating, I'll keep my eye out for it Mike.

I've been watching some Sacha Guitry films, I watched The Pearl in The Crown a few weeks ago but both films I've watched recently are drawing room comedies, a little like Noel Coward who may be something of England's parellel to Guitry on a professional level. I watched Faisons Un Reve which starred Guitry along with his wife Jacqueline Delubac and Raimu, it's a love triangle with Guitry being in love with Raimu's wife, Jacqueline, a love that is passionate, sudden and rather funny. Guitry talks to the camera rather a lot, fretting and convincing himself of her fidelity and his feelings. He talks so much I'm not quite sure how he sweeps her off her feet but he does and in to a compromising position. Fretful the day after they try to concoct an excuse for the wives staying out over night (how refreshing they are seen waking up together, an unmarried couple) Raimu arrives only to reveal his own secret. The drama doesn't really move very far, it's charm is down to the three leads, Raimu playing a rather drab but ironic figure, Jacqueline looking lovely and Guitry as the flustered lover.

Quadrille involves Debulac and Guitry but this time with Gaby Morlay and Georges Grey. Guitry's love interest in Morlay this time and Debulac is a journalist, Grey is an American matinee idol who everyone is going nuts over. Morlay is a theatre star, Guitry a newspaper editor. This time it's a love square if such thing exists. With Morlay falling for Grey but edgeing her bets with Guitry, Debulac is the freind who provides both the shoulder to cry on, alibi and a very good freindship with Morlay's long time boyfriend Guitry. Everyone knows what is going on, no secrets seem to exist and again it is quite wordy and lots of discussions and motives but it's utterly charming. Two things to look out for that made me laugh, a pigeon or bird of some sort on Debulac's hat whilst Guitry talks about her style and Georges Grey glimpsed by the maid in the buff, we're treated to quite an eyeful too.

Finally away from Guitry but with Gaby Morlay and Charles Boyer is Le Bonheur directed by Marcel L'Herbier a very original story with Boyer playing an assassin who fires a gun at Morlay's musical and cinema star. A trial ensues, with Boyer getting tried for his crimes but it feels at the same time that Morlay and her life is being tried too. She's tired of her life, the falseness and when Boyer is released they grow close. I watched the French version with no subs so I'm bound to have missed most of the nuances but just watching and catching what I could it's compelling. Boyer gives an earnest, heartfelt performance, his first as a romantic idol from a role he's played on stage which was a huge success for him, a new career was launched as a romantic leading man. Morlay also played her role on stage is given more chance with emotion than in the Guitry film, a big French star of the time it is good to be given the chance to watch this movie. Thanks Christine :D
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh that's fantastic, Alison! You finally got to see the L'Herbier film! I'm so happy for you!

The Guitry movies sound wonderful. I've got them in my queue coming up after I play catch up with some other movies.
charliechaplinfan

It was worth the wait Wendy. I might not have been able to understand every word but I appreciated the depth of his acting. I'm sure you'll like the Guitry films once they get sent to you.
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

I am glad to see that you enjoyed the films, Alison. :) I find Le Bonheur particularly interesting as it shows Boyer in a very ambiguous part. At the beginning he is an anarchist (and caricaturist). He decides to shoot a famous movie star, Gloria Stuart (G. Morlay) as a gesture of defiance. But his motives are blurred. He wants his gesture to create a lot of noise, hence the choice of a movie star. But, at the same time, it seems that he was attracted by her, even before shooting. During Gloria Stuart's performance in the music-hall, he looks at her with more that just interest. And during the prosecution -as you guessed- Gloria's attitude toward him changes completely. She arrives at first dressed up to the nines, playing the 'Great Movie Star'. But then, she decides to be more natural and shows what she really thinks when she asks the jury to be lenient. Her love story with him is doomed from the start. But, it allows them to reveal their inner feelings. The film is also an amusing look at the motion picture industry. Gloria is surrounded by an effeminate manager played by Michel Simon and also a penniless aristocratic husband, played by Jaque-Catelain who was a favourite of L'Herbier, especially in silents. The film constantly juxtaposes the fakeness of the motion pictures to real life. Boyer decides to leave when he realises their love story has become the plot of her next film. I find the ending again very bittersweet as Boyer goes to a cinema to see again Gloria.

As for Guitry, he was first of all a great playwright. And nearly all his films are adaptation of his plays, like Noël Coward. The long speeches with their wit are his trademark. He was a great charmer and was married 5 times and all his wives worked with him on stage or/and in films. I find Jacqueline Delubac (The 3rd Mrs Guitry) delightful.
charliechaplinfan

I forgot to mention Michel Simon's role, it was obvious that he was effeminate, he's a fascinating actor, his characters always stay with me. I picked up the ambiguity and also that he was drawn to her but I wasn't sure why he had targeted her. Gaby Morlay has featured in two of the movies I've watched recently, I'd like to see her in more too. I share your liking of Jaqueline Dulebac, she's charming and seems to be the perfect foil for Guitry.
charliechaplinfan

I watched my favourite Guitry movie so far, The Story of a Cheat it stood out for me straight away as instead of having credits, Guitry introduces everyone in a mini film, which is a really charming touch. The cheats story begins with the cheat as a young boy, living in a house of twelve, what happens to him touched my funny bone, the way he tells it, deadpan and what happens, it's funny. The story continues to be funny, it appears that when he is trying to live honestly his life takes a wrong turn and everything goes wrong for him, when he either tries to cheat or is caught up in deception everything goes well. Two funny episodes involving the three women in his life, two younger women who turn up in his life as he's older the other a countess who seduced him when he was a youth and she forty. It is in the way he tells them and how he tells this story that made me laugh and find it charming at the same time.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Today I watched "I Was Nineteen" (1966) directed by Konrad Wolf.

The movie is based on Wolf's own experiences. HIs father was a German Communist who moved to Moscow in 1933. Konrad grew up in Moscow and entered Germany with the Red Army in 1945 as part of a psychological warfare program. (He was to speak to German soldiers over a loudspeaker and appeal to them to surrender.)

It is an interesting movie, but a movie of scenes rather than one with a plot, because things are disjointed. The protagonist is sent here; he is sent there. He meets people who then vanish from the film entirely. An interesting film, and I'm glad that I saw it, but Wolf made better movies (such as "The Sun Seekers") and there are better East German films out there.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

does anyone out there remember LAURA ANTONELLI?
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

CineMaven wrote:does anyone out there remember LAURA ANTONELLI?
I seen quite of few of her movies CineMaven ... and I have many Italian friends in Vancouver B.C. that loves her movies ... I seen (out of 45 ... here the complete list below in bold) quite of few of her movies and she has a huge following in Canada especially in British Columbia. Many of my friends managed to get a hold of her movies and we all a big fan of this sexy charming Italian (retired) Actress.

Malizia 2000 (1991), Angela
L'Avaro (1989), Frosina
Rimini Rimini (1987), Noce Bove
Roba da ricchi (1987), Mapi Petruzzelli
Grandi magazzini (1986), Elèna Anzellotti
La Venexiana (1986), Angela
La Gabbia (1986), Marie Colbert
Tranches de vie (1985), Monica Belli, la star

Sesso e volentieri (1982), Carla De Dominicis / Supermarket client / The Princess
Porca vacca (1982), Mariana
Viuuulentemente mia (1982), Anna Tassotti
Passion of Love (1981), Clara
Casta e pura (1981), Rosa
Il Turno (1981), Stellina
Mi faccio la barca (1980), Roberta

Inside Laura Antonelli (1979)
Tigers in Lipstick (1979), the Businesswoman
Il Malato immaginario (1979), Tonina
Gran bollito (1977), Sandra
Wifemistress (1977), Antonia De Angelis
The Innocent (1976), Giuliana Hermil
The Divine Nymph (1975), Manoela Roderighi
Simona (1974), Simone

Till Marriage Do Us Part (1974), Eugenia di Maqueda
Sessomatto (1973), Various roles
Malicious (aka Malizia), Angela
Peccato veniale (1973), Laura
All'onorevole piacciono le donne (1972), Sister Hildegarde
Dr. Popaul (1972), Martine Dupont
The Married Couple of the Year Two (1971), Pauline

Il merlo maschio (1971), Costanza Vivaldi
Sans mobile apparent (1971), Juliette Vaudreuil
Incontro d'amore a Bali (1970), Daria
Gradiva (1970)
A Man Called Sledge (1970), Ria
The Archangel (1969)

Le Malizie di Venere (1969), Wanda
Un Detective (1969), Franca
Satyricon (1968)
La Rivoluzione sessuale (1968), Liliana
Scusi, lei è favorevole o contrario? (1967)
Dr. Goldfoot and the Girl Bombs (1966), Rosanna
16 Year Olds (1965)
feaito

Post by feaito »

Laura Antonelli was very popular during the 1970s and early 1980s in Chile, especially due to her sexy roles in some Italian films. I did not see any of them because the local Censorship in those days usually rated Ms. Antonelli's film for people over 21 years old :roll: