Scott Eyman to Visit the SSO on 5/8 & 5/9

Past chats with our guests.
moira finnie
Administrator

Scott Eyman to Visit the SSO on 5/8 & 5/9

Post by moira finnie »

The Silver Screen Oasis is pleased to welcome author Scott Eyman on May 8th & 9th to discuss his recently published biography, John Wayne, The Life and Legend (Simon & Schuster). This book has been one of the most anticipated biographies in recent years by many readers.

Why the excitement?

There have been several biographies of the iconic actor, but none of them quite captured the humanity of the individual whose remarkable journey over seventy-two years took him from a hard-scrabble boyhood to worldwide fame. In details large and small, Scott Eyman's recounting of the story of Wayne's life illuminates the comment made by the actor in his later years: “The guy you see on the screen isn’t really me. I’m Duke Morrison, and I never was and never will be a film personality like John Wayne. I know him well. I’m one of his closest students. I have to be. I make a living out of him.”

As known by those who relished the recent week-long observation of John Wayne's career on Turner Classic Movies with Robert Osborne & Scott Eyman introducing many films, the author's insight into this actor's legacy is notably lacking in cant, but he has a keen eye for Wayne's abilities, ambitions, and foibles as an actor and a man. As well as covering the major films, the colorful individuals, and often unexpected aspects of the actor's life, the author touches on the impact of his presence on the shifting American cultural landscape and his enduring effect on people of every ideological stripe as Wayne shaped a strong, yet often remarkably vulnerable definition of American masculinity.

The keen anticipation of this book is hardly surprising, considering the incisive quality of Eyman's previous books such as Ernst Lubitsch: Laughter in Paradise, John Ford: Print the Legend, Mary PIckford - From Here to Hollywood and The Speed of Sound: Hollywood and the Talkie Revolution 1926-1930. Each of these were enriched by our guest's meticulous and insightful research, gifted storytelling, and a welcome eye for the humorous element in these accounts. (Please click on the image below for more about these books)

In his previous visit to our message board in 2007, Scott Eyman discussed several of these rich topics with us. This opportunity to explore this definitive Wayne biography also allows us to ask the author about the books released since his last visit. These include his compulsively readable and unprejudiced assessment of a legendary mogul in The Lion of Hollywood: The Life and Legend of Louis B. Mayer and his take on a legendary films and life, Empire of Dreams: The Epic Life of Cecil B. DeMille, among others. This sojourn also comes at a time when another book that Scott has since co-authored, the just-released memoir You Must Remember This: Life and Style in Hollywood's Golden Age, a follow-up to his earlier work with Robert Wagner, Pieces of My Heart. The recent book, documenting the sea change in Hollywood in Wagner's time, has been described by reviewers as providing a "convincing sense of what it was like in the glittering firmament a half-century or more ago" and is told with "great affection and a twinkle in [the] eye" within its pages.

(Please click on the above image for more information about these books)

Please join us on Thursday, May 8th & Friday, May 9th for this rare opportunity to share in an online Q & A with Scott Eyman.
Below are links to reviews of John Wayne: The Life and Legend as well as Scott Eyman's other books and appearances online and in the media:

[youtube][/youtube]

Scott Eyman's website: http://www.scotteyman.com/

Scott Eyman's Previous Q & A at the SSO

Reviews of John Wayne: The Life and Legend

Scott Eyman on NPR's Diane Rehm Show
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Rita Hayworth

Re: Scott Eyman to Visit the SSO on 5/8 & 5/9

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I have to start thinking of questions - really quick and thanks for the heads up Moira! :)
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

SQUEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cannot wait!!!!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Needless to say, I'm thrilled.
Thank you so much, Moira!
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

I can't wait for his visit!
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

My kitty Massimo looks forward to it, too! He's really "into" the book! :D

-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

See if you can get Massimo to post an insightful question, will you, Miss G.? Queries about the off-camera antics of General Sterling Price stepping on The Duke's line readings will not be taken seriously.

[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

BRILLIANT! So glad you found that video! I have to share it. :D

Judging from his size and laid back attitude, GSP looks like he was the "John Wayne of cats". In other words, Massimo would be mincemeat if he stepped out of line. :D
-- Will Rogers
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Cute!
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor