TCM's Scott McGee to visit the Oasis May 30th-June 1st

Past chats with our guests.
Lzcutter
Administrator

TCM's Scott McGee to visit the Oasis May 30th-June 1st

Post by Lzcutter »

TCM's own Scott McGee, Buster Keaton fan, TCM staffer and just all around great guy, will be our next guest at the SSO.

Scott will be joining us to take your questions from Friday, May 30th - Sunday, June 1st.

Scott is a senior writer/producer for TCM’s Programming and Studio Production departments. He created the Essentials, Jr. franchise in 2007, a summertime lineup of classic movies to introduce to kids that is now in its eighth season. Scott is also part of the TCM Classic Film Festival and TCM Classic Cruise planning and programming. He has introduced films and interviewed guests on stage at each. Scott also hosts TCM’s online video podcast.

In addition to his other Film Festival duties, he moderates the The Meet the Staff panel and he produces the discussions/panels in Club TCM (where I tend to spend the majority of my time, it seems). Last year, he had a terrific panel on stunt work in the movies and is currently working on a book on the subject.

He has produced a number of TCM interstitials including the one for Kim Novak:

[youtube][/youtube]

"The Look of Saul Bass":

[youtube][/youtube]

And this memorable one on Lauren Bacall:

[youtube][/youtube]

The TCM podcasts he produces can be found here:

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/podcast.html

So, I hope you will join us this weekend and welcome Scott McGee to the SSO family!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Lzcutter
Administrator

Re: TCM's Scott McGee to visit the Oasis May 30th-June 1st

Post by Lzcutter »

Ever wonder what goes into producing a great TCM Star of the Month promo (like the one for Kim Novak or Lauren Bacall, for example) or what goes into producing Essentials, Jr every summer, or how guests are chosen for the monthly TCM podcast?

Find out beginning Friday, May 30th through Sunday, June 1st, when TCM's own Scott McGee (who produced the Novak and Bacall SOTM promos among many others, came up with the idea of Essentals, Jr and produces the monthly podcasts) visits the Silver Screen Oasis and takes your questions!

So join us beginning this Friday to find out the answers to these and other questions you might have!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I'm looking forward to this event, Lynn. Here's Scott McGee in 2011 introducing his pick as a guest programmer, The Searchers (1956) and talking a bit about his role at TCM with Robert Osborne:

[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Moira,

I remember him talking about The Searchers with Robert O. One of the reasons I remember it so fondly is that one of the posters over at the TCM message boards posted that someone at Turner must have put Scott up to saying what he did about the film, specifically the part about Ethan being a racist (because there is no way Ethan Edwards was racist according to this particular poster) and then went on to cast aspersions on Scott's film knowledge.

The next time I saw Scott, we had a good laugh over that one!

I didn't call that place Crazytown for nothin'!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

So glad Scott McGee will be joining us! He is always busy at the festivals, and is very popular with pass holders because of his accessibility and congenial nature. Welcome, Scott!
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Do you like Buster Keaton and want to know more about him?

Did you enjoy the TCM Mack Sennett month and want to learn more about the films shown?

Do you ever wonder about the behind-the-scenes work that goes into producing promos, interstitials and regular spots like "Word of Mouth" of "TCM Extras?

Ever wonder what the difference is between choosing films for The Essentials and Essentials, Jr are?

Bring your questions to Scott McGee beginning tomorrow for a three-day funzapalooza Q and A session!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I have many Buster Keaton questions for Scott to answer ... I will try to submit them by tomorrow am ...