Kingrat's Festival Notebook

Rita Hayworth

Re: Kingrat's Festival Notebook

Post by Rita Hayworth »

kingrat wrote:Public transit? What's that?
Buses, Light Rail, Monorail, and anything other than cars and trucks on the road.

BTW, Excellent Festival Reporting ... Kingrat!
The Ingenue

Post by The Ingenue »

MARY CARLISLE! Wow.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

kingrat wrote: Word is that several of the rarities shown will eventually make their way to the network: On Approval, Hat Check Girl, The Stranger's Return, Her Sister's Secret. Perhaps the 1940s Great Gatsby will, too.

More about some of these films later.

Another special moment: as those of us who watched The Lady from Shanghai as our final film filed out of the theater, the people who'd been handling the crowd lined up on each side of us and applauded and high-fived the audience as we exited. Many thanks to whoever came up with this idea.

Kingrat,

Please do ... I would love to hear more about these films in red in your quote above and I'm wished I could had seen The Lady From Shanghai at the Festival too ... sounds that you are having a ball down there.

The Ingenue wrote:MARY CARLISLE! Wow.

It's must been a thrill for you to meet her in person ... :)
Lucky Vassall

Post by Lucky Vassall »

kingrat wrote:I’d like to add some Kevin Brownlow quotes to the write-up by lzcutter from his interview by Cari Beauchamp:

3. For a while Kevin Brownlow showed silent films in a small theater in London under Waterloo Bridge: “The wind blew through the air conditioning system, which was effective for The Wind.”
Can't help wondering if this was the source of the great British comedy The Smallest Show on Earth with Peter Sellers and Margaret Rutherford?
[size=85]AVATAR: Billy DeWolfe as Mrs. Murgatroid, “Blue Skies” (1946)

[b]“My ancestors came over on the Mayflower.”
“You’re lucky. Now they have immigration laws."[/b]
[i]Mae West, The Heat’s On” (1943[/i])

[b]:–)—[/b]
Pinoc-U-no(se)[/size]
The Ingenue

Post by The Ingenue »

kingrat wrote:... as the rich guy who wants to move in polite society, which isn’t that polite after all.
Oooh. Yes, I believe Ladd could play that very well.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

The Ingenue wrote:MARY CARLISLE! Wow.

It was kismet that night! We were sitting at our table listening to Larry and his stories when I noticed someone walk by and immediately recognized my friend, fellow mid-century modern and City of Angels lover, Charles Phoenix whom I hadn't seen in awhile.

I excused myself from the table and went to say hello to Charles. While we were talking, I looked up to see one of my dearest friends, Eric Lynxwiler, (fellow City of Angels, midcentury modern and neon lover) walking towards with, helping an elderly, spry lady.

Erik, surprised as I was, introduced me to Mary Carlisle who just turned 100 in February. She took my hand and said, "I see we both love big glasses!"

After talking a few minutes with Erik, Charles and Mary, I let them get back to their evening and went back to join the others still be regaled by Larry!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

The Ingenue

Post by The Ingenue »

Lynn, thank you for answering my squeal of amazement with a personal account of meeting the lady. She sounds as much a charmer now as she was in Double or Nothing (1937), where Bing Crosby set his hat ablaze — while wearing it — in order to make her acquaintance.

I'd sent a fan letter to her last year, and wondered then if she was well and happy and aware of how much we still value her. By your account and Larry's, I think she is. I'm so very glad.
Last edited by The Ingenue on April 18th, 2014, 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Dear Ingenue,

Believe me, Mary Carlisle is very well; and at 100 is far more fit than many of us decades younger.
She looked marvellous and only about 50 - and walked upright, unaided and seemed to be holding "Court" as only a 'Grand Dame' could & should!!!
We all were in awe of her and this is one time when the words 'amazing' & 'awesome' were appropriate.....

Larry
The Ingenue

Post by The Ingenue »

Dear Larry,

Thank you. This is wonderful news; I appreciate your telling me.

Sincerely,
Carrie
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Kingrat ... I wished someday that ZULU will be on TCM - I completely agree with your assessment here!