Administrator

Re: Seen and Heard on the Blvd- TCM Film Fest 2014

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Thank you for such a great article about Thelma Schoonmaker! :D
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

We had to move out of our Reserved Seating box for Hollywood Home Movies.

This is the third year of presentations by Randy Haberkamp and Lynne Kriste of the Academy of Motion Pictures, Arts and Sciences. As always, it was standing room only with people hanging from the rafters!

Because the theme this year was family, they curated a series of home movies taken by the stars themselves.

Highlights included:

Florenz Ziegfeld and Billie Burke's Family Films (1921-1924), which are some of the Film Academy's earliest home movies.

The Hitchcocks at Home (1929-1936) which included shots of Alfred, Alma and daughter Pat along with their pets. Restored color footage, too!

Jean Harlow's Dressing Room (1931) where the actress smokes, chats and strikes dramatic poses.

Hollywood Visits Hearst Castle (1931)with WR Hearst, Marion Davies and a host of happy guests.

Relaxing Aboard the Invader (1931) included rare color footage that Gilbert Roland shot of his future wife, Constance Bennett and several friends as they sailed around the coast of Southern California. Best shots of all, the ones of Gilbert Roland without a shirt!!!!

Behind the Scenes of Gone With the Wind (1939) rare 8mm footage from the set of the epic film. Shots included Vivien Leigh, Clark Gable, Victor Fleming and the enormous Technicolor camera.

It's a Wonderful Wrap, the wrap picnic party for It's a Wonderful Life includes Frank Capra participating in a potato sack race.

Walt Disney Rides the Rails shows Disney and animator Ward Kimble with their elaborate backyard train set-ups. Kimble's son talked about the footage.

Oklahoma! on Location director Fred Zinneman took home movies of both the Cinemascope and Todd A-O cameras shooting scenes. Zinnman's son talked about the footage and Gene Nelson's widow talked about the dance numbers featuring Nelson in the footage.

Tashlin and Lewis on Hurry Up and Wait shows director Frank Tashlin and Jerry Lewis cutting up on the set.

Another great collection of home movies from the Academy's collection!

They announced the Academy Museum is to open in 2017!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

We moved over to one of the non-reserved comfy tables for Leonard Maltin's talk with composer Richard Sherman which followed Hollywood Home Movies.

What a treat! Especially since we had missed him talking at the end of Mary Poppins earlier in the day.

Management had kept the keyboard from the previous event (Michael Motilla had accompanied the Home Movies on it).

Leonard walked Sherman through his life from a young boy growing up with his brother Robert and their father, Al Sherman, who had been a songwriter as well.

The Powerpoint presentation was quite good and Sherman sang songs through every phase.

He talked about how he and his brother had become "rock and roll" writers with their first big hit, You're Sixteen and began writing songs for Annette Funicello to sing. They over dubbed her voice to give it a bigger sound.

From there they began writing songs for Disney animation and features. After Walt gave them the book, Mary Poppins to read, they put together the outline that would become the movie.

Sherman credited everyone for making that film so memorable. He talked a bit about how difficult P.L. Travers was to work with.

He sang a bit from Tuppence a Bag before moving onto the The Jungle Book.

He talked about writing the song King of the Jungle. When Walt heard the song, he asked who did they have in mind to sing it and Sherman said there was only group- Louie Prima, Sam Butera and the Witnesses. They had to travel to Las Vegas, wait until after they finished their lounge act at the Sands to play the song for the musicians.

The musicians, alerted that these guys were from Disney, sat there stone-faced until the song was over. Asked what they thought, they "acted like a bunch of university professors". Finally unable to keep the gag going, they broke down and started playing tunes and told the Shermans they were in.

Richard Sherman is in his 80s and still going strong! MrC wondered what is that keeps some people so young. I told him it must be a combination of being creative and living in Southern California! After all, we ain't exactly spring chickens these days!

Here's hoping he has many, many more years!

Afterwards, it was dinner time. We were thinking about going to see Sorcerer and see Friedkin introduce the film. But our stomachs were hungry (you can't live on breakfast and popcorn alone).

We ended up at the California Pizza Kitchen with Christy and Alexa.

By the time we were done eating, we figured Mr. Bo would appreciate it if we went home.

Home we went and he was so happy to see us. His earlier sullen mood was gone and he and MrC went for a walk.

Just as we were getting ready to turn in, Jon asked about Gone with the Wind. Was it a restoration? I said it was.
Why weren't we going to that tomorrow.

I replied that we would have but the 20 Years of TCM On-Air panel was at the same time. Since I had been such an advocate for the idea, I felt I really ought to be there.

He agreed and said he had never seen GWTW on the big screen. I told him well that was new information and since he had only seen the film on television, VHS and DVD, he should go.

He agreed.

Lights out.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

Vienna

Post by Vienna »

These Hollywood home movies sound fabulous.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Lzcutter - I am enjoying reading of your time at the film festival. You and your merry band certainly made the most of things. There was a lot to do and you seemed to cover much of it. A whirlwind.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Terrific stuff, Lynn. I enjoyed reading your recollections very much. You captured the zest and fun of the festival. The images were outstanding.
CineMaven, I'm surprised we didn't hear more from you as we did at the last event. I gather that you got o see Maureen O'Hara?
Joseph Goodheart
Mrs. Osborne

Post by Mrs. Osborne »

Dear Miz Liz-

I have one addition:
for the Meet TCM Panel, it was I that said the old fogey quote and the Munchkin story but Darcy was right there with me.

What a wonderful time we all had!!!

Mrs. O.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Gosh, you guys are making this the most vivid experience (second hand!). Thanks to all of you who are contributing your comments to this section.

BTW, is there any talk of sharing the Hollywood Home Movies on TCM someday. They always sound great.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Dateline: Hollywood- Sunday, April 13th

The Final Day

Where the heck did the last four days go? They flew by in a whirlwind. It should only be Friday but, alas, it was Sunday, the final day of the Festival.

Other Festivals have whirled by but this one seemed to rush by at the speed of sound.

MrC had decided he was going to see Gone with the Wind on the big screen. I wanted to hear author John Fricke talk about the legendary Judy Garland.

As we stood in line to get into Club TCM, I caught sight of the "button" man from Canada. I had seen a glimpse of him while in line at Mary Poppins but this time we actually got to talk.

For those wondering, the "button" man is this terrific young guy from Canada whom we met last year in line for Cinerama Holiday. He has small buttons made up each year to pass out at the Festival. Last year he gave me a "I heart TCM" button and one for It's a Mad, Mad, Mad World.

This year I scored a button with Robert O's face, Ben's face and one for Blazing Saddles. We talked for a few minutes and then he was off to get in line for a movie!

MrC and I also talked to a young man from Pennsylvania who was at the Festival again for the fourth time. His wife gets him a pass each year for his birthday.

He had been at the Nutty Professor screening the evening before and said it was terrific. The discussion with Jerry Lewis went almost 45 minutes and Jerry was in rare form, gracious and enjoying talking with his fans.

At the handprint ceremony in the forecourt of Graumans, earlier on Saturday, Quentin Tarantino surprised Lewis by showing up.

So, it sounds like Jerry had a good time!

Once we were inside Club TCM, we were able to score a comfy table. Texas Theresa was going to join me as soon as Fiddler on the Roof finished up.

MrC went off to see GWTW and John Fricke took the stage to talk about Judy Garland.

He had a terrific presentation and had some great stories to share. He had the good fortune to meet Judy Garland when he was 16 and she was performing. He went to dinner after the concert and she was there with Sid Luft. He worked up the nerve to go over and talk to her and she was very gracious.

He signed books afterwards and Theresa wanted to get one but the store was sold out. I encouraged her to go talk to him anyways and she did:

Next up was the presentation of 20 years of TCM On-Air. TCM's own Scott McGee brought Director of the department, Pola Chagnon to the stage as well as producer Tim Reilly.

It was a terrific presentation full of wonderful moments from the last 20 years:

Bill Cosby's noir homage that he did to help publicize the channel:

[youtube][/youtube]

The "Win Tony Curtis for a Day" (where he comes to your house to hang out - an homage to an old Flintstones episode) was lots of fun!

"Sunny Side of Life":

[youtube][/youtube]

The Big Band roll film promo:

[youtube][/youtube]

"You will never want to leave this place" promo

"Everybody's Most Wanted" promo.

As Tim Reilly said, "We wanted to establish a place more than a network. A destination, a place to go to escape to this other world."

They succeeded very well!

Other promos included:

Star of the Month Jean Harlow's promo:

[youtube][/youtube]

Ride the Rails theme promo that included a salute to James Wong Howe,
The infamous telescope girl promo that blew up the TCM Message Boards in September, 2006
"Every Western but Shane" promo

Directed by John Ford promo:

[youtube][/youtube]

The always wonderful 2008 31 Days of Oscar promo:

[youtube][/youtube]

A wonderful retrospective that showed just how talented and creative the folks at TCM can be!

After that presentation, I waited for MrC to get out of GWTW and met up with the usual suspects for one last dinner together at Public Kitchen:

I had thought of going to see The Great Gatsby or The Wizard of Oz but decided spending the time with people I usually only get to see once a year was more important.

After dinner, MrC hit the road as he had to work the next day. Texas Theresa and I hung out in Club TCM talking till others started finding their way back:

When Club TCM got too crowded we headed down to the pool area and sat by one of the fire pits.

We talked well into the night. Other friends stopped by including TCM's own Shannon Clute and Sean Cameron.

We had one final toast to the Chief and it was time to hit the road.

Peter graciously gave me a ride home and as if it had all been a wonderful dream, the TCM Film Festival, 2014, ended on a high note.

But there will a sequel in 2015!

And we will gather with Larry for another great dinner, see some wonderful movies and hear great talks but most of all, TCM Nation will gather again and we will be able to spend five days with good friends!

Can't wait!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Fabulous! :D
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Thanks Lynn. It almost seems like you did everything but watch movies.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Thanks for all the kind comments, everyone!

Chris,

Yes, we didn't see too many films. But I have been a Club TCM discussion fan for the last few years. Scott McGee puts together a terrific line up and living in the City of Angels, we often have opportunities thanks to the Academy, the Arclight, the Cinefamily and the American Cinemateque to see films but we don't always get the chance to hear from the people that Scott programs.

And this year especially, with the theme being family, it just seemed right to spend more time with our TCM family than in a darkened movie theater.

We know we missed some terrific movies but we wouldn't trade the memories!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Lynn,

Wonderful report again and great to see a photo of Christy, Theresa and David once again.

Larry
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Thank you, Larry!

Lynn, my absolute favorite promo is "The Sunny Side of LIfe" with Chet Baker!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Hi,Lynn. Thanks for this thread, it was almost like being there...almost...

What was the "infamous telescope girl" promo? I am completely blank, I was a newbie on the TCM Boards, didn't post, only lurked....
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard