'Round the World Weather Report

Chit-chat, current events
JackFavell

Re: 'Round the World Weather Report

Post by JackFavell »

We have two goldfish. My daughter won one at the fair, and the other came from the school fish tank when they were giving them away at the end of the year 3 years ago. They actually do have personalities, which surprised me. Swimmy, the first one, is mild mannered and a little bit shy. He likes to hide, and hates the filter/bubbler. Nemo is bold and excitable, and always hungry. Two years ago, I thought Swimmy had ich, but it turned out he was changing color - he was all orange, now he is white blending into an orange tail. He's absolutely beautiful! Nemo is deeply orange, almost crimson-orange.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I can't believe it, we're having the dog conversation at the moment, our house is divided. We have three cats one who is 16, so there is no new arrivals going to come and hasten his end but my hubby has decided he wants a dog, so does Joe, Libby and I don't, we want another cat. I've never had a dog and although I like dogs I can't see myself living with one, I don't feel that I like them enough but if Chris turned up home with one I'd never turn it away. My problem is why get a dog apart from taking it for walks when I could have a cat instead. Perhaps when my health picks up I'll feel differently, the thought of something else that's going to be noisy in the house is one of the things that's putting me off, Joe hasn't learned to speak any lower than a booming, exciteable level, sometimes just dealing with him is enough. I wouldn't like to deny them a dog if it's their hearts desire.... but I'm the one home most of the time, perhaps by the time Claude the 16 year old cat goes we'll have resolved the issue.

If I was a betting woman I'd put money on us replacing Claude with puppy and kitten.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I was never a dog person until my mom got Sugar. In spending a lot of time with Mom, I became fond of Sugar. When Mom left us in 2008...Nobody can say I didn't inherit anything! This is my first dog. Maybe my last. True love!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Wendy:

We have one that is blind and one that is deaf. Thankfully, they are passed the excited stage.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Chris is winning me around, not that I'm any keener on having a dog but I don't want to deny him something that he wants, I grew up in a house without pets and spent twenty years nagging my parents for a pet, preferably a cat or dog but would have settled for a hamster, finally they gave in and got a rabbit and everyone realised that a cat would have been far easier to look after, shortly after the demise of the rabbit a young cat found my us and was not going away or being deterred and she had a very happy home for 12 years, she's passed now and my parents will never replace her, they never really wanted a pet but she won them over but they won't take another cat even though they know it will never be homeless if it outlives them, they'll never find another animal to replace her.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

We've been under a wind advisory for the last 12 hours. The winds started up last week, have been strong for days. I remember reading a book while in my teens about a woman who lived on the prairie, isolated of course, from other families. Her husband was gone all day, working the land, while she tended the home fires. The wind constantly blew, and finally drove the poor woman mad. (she was unstable and unsuited for pioneer life to begin with).

I remember thinking "How weird, and how silly that woman was." I am beginning to understand her madness.... :shock:
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh I feel for you! I tend to be the type to faint every now and then from heat if the humidity is too high....so with wind I don't know how I would react. It must be annoying at the very least. We've been rather windy here too for the last week or so, now that you mention it, though the temp has been up and down. Today is mild, but there is a good brisk wind up. I am sure it's nothing like your weather though... we have too many trees stopping the wind from really picking up.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

The wind constantly blew, and finally drove the poor woman mad.

Look at all the crazy people in Chicago!
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

I wanted to pop back in and say hello, after having been off for so long, what better place than the weather thread? I usually look to Nancy to tell me what's headed my way. Sure enough, it is wind. And more wind. Whistling through my upstairs like a herd of ghosts minus the chains. (I will NOT be watching Silent House.)

We were lucky to escape the severe storms of last week but did have hail twice on Friday. I hope all of you fared as well.

While a continued fan of old movies, TCM and SSO I have not been a fan of looking at a computer screen. I have to use a computer at my job under horried and glaring fluorescent lights and have had trouble with my eyes in the last year. That all seems to be lined out now so I am hoping to get back to discussing films with old friends. See pre-code thread!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Gwennie, how lovely to see you!!!!
The wind has finally died down, after 3 days (I think, I've lost count) and though rain was forecast to follow, so far just cloudy skies.

I agree about Silent House. It looks awful, and after numerous repeats of the trailer, I finally realized I could hit the mute button and not have to endure it anymore. (wish there was a 'mute' button for that dratted wind!)
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

So glad you're back, Birdy.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

How wonderful to see you back, Birdy!

My daughter is terrified of our house now, thanks to that trailer for Silent House, which pops up at the most inopportune times on her kids channels.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Here comes the wind.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Jacks, hang on tight to anything that isn't nailed down! It finally stopped blowing last night about 8 or so...just in time for a huge temp drop and rain. My 2 back windows on the car were open about 1/2 inch......sigh....... :cry: :cry: :roll: :roll:

This morning when I let the dogs outside, there was 'crackly' stuff on the deck...thought it was roofing material from the shingles, but it was ice pellets. Just LOVE early spring. Birdy, it's skirt alert weather for sure! :shock: :shock:
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

We've been so mild it's ridiculous! Till today. I keep picking up the trash can and putting it back up in the corner, but so far nothing else has blown away. Last year our big grill actually blew over during a Nor'easter. Luckily, it's in the garage right now.