Game of Thrones

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
Lzcutter
Administrator

Re: Game of Thrones

Post by Lzcutter »

Klon,

There's a reason this show keeps gaining viewers is because it just keeps getting better. Arya's teacher discovers that today is death but not before teaching her skills that will likely keep her alive.

And never underestimate your dire wolf for keeping you out of trouble or warning you to horrible things come back to life. And never underestimate a cowardly steward to be the smartest guy on the Wall.

I am hoping that the Imp decides to double cross his siblings but that's very doubtful.

In the meantime, while Ned's oldest daughter continues to be all starry-eyed about Prince Joffrey, his other children, including Jon Snow, continue to step up to the plate.

And here's hoping Ned has some allies at King's Landing.

There's only two more episodes left but bring it on!!!!!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Klon,

I'm watching last night's eppy on an encore showing. Have I mentioned how much I love this show. I shall be broken-hearted to have it gone for a year. Along with Justified, it is my favorite hour of television.

The shot of all the ravens leaving and heading north, what a great shot, spreading the word that the Starks are on the move.

And Catelyn's creepy sister, Lysa, needs a really good smacking. She started this whole mess by sending the letter to Ned and Catelyn accusing the Lannisters of killing John Arryn and now she refuses to help the Starks? There's a word for her but I can't print it here. Isn't she the daughter of Lord of Riverrun or one of the lowlands now being overrun by Tywion Lannister? And she won't help either her sister or her father? She deserves more than a good smacking.

And here creepy eight year old, Robin, trying to undo her top because he is hungry? Ultra-creepy and he deserves a good smacking or at least to find himself at the end of Arya's rapier.

So, if Cercesi makes Jamie head of the Gold Cloaks (or whatever they're called) and they are a group one pledges their life to, does that make the Imp next in line for the throne should something happen to Joffrey?

And Dany, who started out as the most cardboard of characters has turned into quite the little powerhouse. Who knew?
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

So, if Cercesi makes Jamie head of the Gold Cloaks (or whatever they're called) and they are a group one pledges their life to, does that make the Imp next in line for the throne should something happen to Joffrey?
Joffrey's younger brother Tommen is the heir. But since neither Joffrey, Tommen or their sister Myrcella are Robert's biological children, then technically speaking Robert's brother Stannis is the real heir. Although the youngest Baratheon brother, Renly, thinks HE should be king. More about THAT brotherly dispute in the second book. :) Or on TV, the second season. ;)

We've barely seen Tommen though, but he is in the series. He's played by Callum Wharry. Myrcella is played by Aimee Richardson.

I have to say that the actor playing Renly, Gethin Anthony, is not at all my idea of what Renly should look like. Renly, as described in the books, is tall, handsome, dashing, and has flowing black hair -- the spitting image of Robert before he fell into dissolution.
klondike

Post by klondike »

pvitari wrote: I have to say that the actor playing Renly, Gethin Anthony, is not at all my idea of what Renly should look like. Renly, as described in the books, is tall, handsome, dashing, and has flowing black hair -- the spitting image of Robert before he fell into dissolution.
Too true, Paula; my thoughts exactly!
I guess the telling weight to that balance-rod will be when we finally behold Stannis, and judge the finesse of that bit of casting.
For myself, I'm chomping to see the players chosen to portray Theon's family, the Greyjoys (yarrrr!), and feast our eyes upon the austere grandeur of the Iron Isles!
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Oh my freaking god!!!!

**********************There be SPOILERS**********************************

I was not expecting to lose Ned this early or that way.

I am still processing all that happened in the episode.

But before the series concludes, I hope Aryia kills that weasel Joffrey.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

I really enjoy your posts, Lynn. It's refreshing to hear comments from someone experiencing this story for the first time. Most of us have read the entire series and are watching to see how true to the written word the productions stays. Your reactions remind me of how I felt when I first read the books. Thanks for bringing it all back.
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

CharlieT,

I am so glad that I have managed to stay spoiler-free all season, if only for last night.

***************************************There Be Spoilers****************************************************

By the time they were taking Ned to the Sept, I was sitting straight up and as the action progressed (though I have no recollection of them moving), my hands moved to my mouth. I was stunned by the time the action was over and overwhelmed by sadness.

I have enjoyed my fair share of television for over fifty years and dealt with the loss of characters over the years but this episode and this death, I suspect, will be one of those pivotal television moments that will stay with me for a long, long time. I am a big Sean Bean fan and his face has been plastered all over bus-stops and more in the marketing of the show, so it never dawned on me that he would be taken out before the first season ended.

I had no idea it was coming and expected a raven to arrive and announce that Robb and the bannermen had Jamie. When I realized how it was actually going to play out, I began to realize that the story is not about the adults but about the children (all of them, the Stark, the Lannister/Baraithans, Dany, etc) and how they deal and grow with the tragedies that befall them and their families.

I do like Tyrion and despite his being a Lannister, I suspect he will turn the tables on his cut-throat family when the right opportunity presents itself, especially considering what his father and Jamie did to him when he was 16.

As for the Starks, the one thing Joffrey has done is bring on the very war his mother warned him to avoid. I hope we get to see her reaction to the news that her beloved brother and lover is a prisoner of the Starks.

It was interesting to learn that Dany's right hand is the son of the Night Watch commander and the Master of the Citadel of the Watch is a Targareyen.

With winter coming, I have no idea what happens in the finale, but I suspect it will be a great ride.

Can't wait for Sunday!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

*************************************THERE BE SPOILERS*******************************************************

MrCutter and I loved the finale! What a great way to end this season with one last rejigger of the chess board as all the pertinent players take new spots on the board.

Loved, loved, loved the scene between Catlyn and the men acknowledging her grief followed by her scene with Robb.

Best scene, Robb being declared the King of the North.

Favorite scene, Tywion discovering that his son Tyrion is smarter than he ever realized. Here's hoping that the Imp smacks Joffrey at least three times per episode they appear in next season.

Jamie Lannister doesn't seem to quite believe all his bravado and does he know that his dearly beloved sister is stepping out with their young cousin?

I do hope and pray we get to see the look on Cerci's face when she gets the news that Jamie is the prisoner of the Starks.

Also, really liked that Ned visited via dreams both his young sons and kudos to the Master of the Watch for a rousing speech about the real war that is coming. Kudos as well to Jon Snow's buddies for going after him.

Dragons! I knew there was something to those eggs. Dany paid way too much loving attention to them all season long.

Now I understand why there was no battle last week. Had to spend the $$$ on the babies! Well worth it!

And is Jorah a Targaryen? "Blood of my blood" he tells the Khalessi when he finds her among the ashes.

The show finished out as it began, hitting on all cylinders and full of character development and great performances.

Come next Spring, winter can't come soon enough!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

Just wondering if you've been following the new season of Game of Thrones, Lynn? Three episodes down and plenty of action.

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

CharlieT,

I am! The run up to and the Festival itself kept me low-key and busy, but as soon as I watch this week's episode, I'll be posting more in this thread! I promise!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Well, three weeks into the second season of Game of Thrones and all I can say is WOW!. This show picked up right where season one left off and despite adding a few new characters, continues to build on the foundation it built last season without missing a beat.

Prince Joffrey deserves a comeuppance (and death) worthy of retribution at the hands of Sansa and Arya.

I originally thought the series was going to be about the Starks, especially Rob, Arya and Jon Snow but now am starting to realize that the show is about Tyrion Lanister, aka the Imp, which is fine with me because Peter Dinklage the actor playing Tyrion is a joy to watch.

Jorah, the right hand man to Dany Targaryan is still terrific. And Stannis Baratheon now has a right hand man, Davros, who equals Jorah. Speaking of Stannis, his witchy woman is scary.

Catelyn Stark continues to be the one woman of power who understands the strength and draw of power. She raised her children well and I hope they are able to make her proud.

The best news, HBO has renewed the show for a third season (which takes some of the sting out of the loss of Luck -I could have easily watched Dustin Hoffman and Dennis Farina for another season).
Lynn in Lake Balboa

MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

[youtube][/youtube]
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

I can not believe the season comes to an end tomorrow evening. It has been a terrific ride all season long with a couple of twists and turns

*****************************************THAR BE SPOILERS************************************************

(The Kings Guardsman who attacked Tyrion during last week's Blackwater battle, what has happened to Davros and his son, what the heck was Catelyn was thinking sending the Kingslayer back to the Lannisters and what terrible comeuppance awaits Theon now that everyone thinks he burned Bran and Rickon to death? Did Sansa go with the Hound or did she stay in King's Landing?)

All I can imagine is that a cliff-hangers galore await us tomorrow night but there's solace in knowing that HBO has done right by this show and already renewed it for another season.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

SPOILERS

DON'T READ UNTIL YOU WATCH THE PENULTIMATE EPISODE OF SEASON 3- THE RED WEDDING

******************************************************************************************************************************************

This episode officially broke my heart again!!! (Which I didn't think was possible after the death of Ned in Season 1).

Arya's revenge may take many seasons but it will be bloody and it will be total. (and thanks to the Hound, who stopped to eat, she missed being part of the massacre at the wedding).

The Lannisters, except for Tyrion and Jaime, must die horribly as must Walter Frey.

Brienne will be devastated to hear the news. How will it affect her burgeoning friendship with Jaime (though he had no say in what happened).

Tryion is right, "the North will never forget".

My head is reeling.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

I've heard a lot of outrage expressed at the violence in this episode, but it is following the books more closely than other sections of the mini-series. My daughter and I are watching this together... don't worry - she's 28. We've already speculated as to what the final episode has in store for the remaining characters and their individual storylines. It will be comparable to many cliffhanger finales that we've become used to since we wondered "who shot J.R.".