Tell Me About Your Hobbies/Interests

Chit-chat, current events
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

Mr. Arkadin wrote:I am learning quite a bit though and trying to find ways to make a film sound exciting with a few words instead of a couple thousand. Recently, the website lady deleted 100 articles I wrote without any warning! I had some of them saved, but still lost stuff. Arrgh! :x I think it's time for me to get my own site.
I can set you up a blog on SSO if you like. I've been wanting to start something along those lines. I guarantee your stuff won't be deleted.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Jon thanks for the offer. It's very kind of you. I am not sure if I want to open up another site on Delphi at this point or not. If you want to PM me with details (or just lay them out right here) that would be great.

I'm always amazed at the generosity and kindness of the people that make up this site and you are no exception! 8)
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

The blog for SSO sounds great!

Thanks for Canteloupe Island, Mr. Arkadin. Tonight I was listening to Duke
Robillard. One of my favorites is his rendition of "Exactly Like You."
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
sugarpuss

Post by sugarpuss »

jondaris wrote:I can set you up a blog on SSO if you like. I've been wanting to start something along those lines. I guarantee your stuff won't be deleted.
You know, I think that would be a great idea. It would be fun to have it like the Movie Morlocks blog over at TCM with multiple posters, except they'd all be from SSO. I'm not sure if this is the kind of thing you have in mind, but it would be fun. I used to LJ a long time ago, but I gave it up when I realized that everyone on my friends list wasn't interested in classic movies. It was as though one day, I woke up and started speaking French.

But it would be interesting to have a rotating cast of posters where we could talk about certain movies or actors we love, or what's coming up on TCM, etc. Just an idea.

As for the hobby question: Writing is mine I write short fiction and I've been trying to work on a novella, but I keep it to myself. It's just something I do for fun although one day, I wish I could turn it into something more.

I also collect martini glasses. Exciting, I know. In the future, I'm going to try and learn chess and learn how to knit. My mother has all her old knitting supplies just sitting in the corner and collecting dust. I'm getting sick of spending $30 for scarves when I could probably learn how to make my own for next to nothing.
"Some of the best parts of life are frivolous." - Arthur Kennedy in A Summer Place
-----
The Roadshow Version: A Modern Take on Classic Movies
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Sugarpuss:

My daughter crochets scarves for her friends. Some have asked her to crochet some so they can give them to others and they'll pay her a little. She also likes chess (as do I) but we don't play too often. The basic moves are easy but to learn the game is so complex.

The blog idea is pretty interesting. Maybe we could we could throw a few topics out and people could write about that or anything movie related thing they want.

Speaking of blogging of a sort, I wonder what goes on at the Cinema College? It's been pretty quiet there.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Be still my heart! Sugarpuss, just the thought of all those old knitting things sitting in the corner make me weep! If you can find a good yarn shop, I'm sure you can take a lesson or two. I teach on Monday nights, and it's so much fun to introduce my passion to new knitters. Kind of like getting someone interested in Classic Cinema. Sure hope you can get started on this. One of the best things about most knitting is, you can watch TCM while you knit.

:lol: :lol:

Good Luck
Nancy
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

Let's see, I'm a pretty simple guy. I collect comic books. In fact I have about 5 titles on my pull list and while it can sometimes be an expensive hobby I enjoy reading the comics and keeping them in my comics bin.

I am into history, especially the Third Reich and World War II area. In fact one year in High School I had a 100% on a test dealing with that time frame. I think that was one of my happiest memories of HS. So I spend a lot of time reading the Asix History message board. It's interesting to get a first hand (at times) view of what really went on as a few of the posters there lived in Europe during that dark time.

Obviously i'm into old movies :D

I like listening to soul music from the '60s and '70s. In fact I scour youtube for vids to keep for my personal viewing and listening pleasure.

I'm also an afficianado of old sporting events. Mainly NFL football games of the past which I have a small collection of.

I also am a bit of a political junkie tho I don't get too revved up on it. I just like to observe what's going on and keep it in my head for future reference.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Old films, politics, baseball, and being kind and loving.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

[quote="SPTO"]
I like listening to soul music from the '60s and '70s. In fact I scour youtube for vids to keep for my personal viewing and listening pleasure.
/quote]

Have you checked "Dewey's Record Party"? He, and others, will have done a lot of work for you.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Yea! Dewey's Record Party!
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

movieman1957 wrote:
SPTO wrote: I like listening to soul music from the '60s and '70s. In fact I scour youtube for vids to keep for my personal viewing and listening pleasure.
/quote]

Have you checked "Dewey's Record Party"? He, and others, will have done a lot of work for you.
Nope, I'm very particular about my choice of music and besides I got more then enough on my youtube account to watch :) I will probably check out that thread tho.
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Christy sed: "Yea! Dewey's Record Party!"

Bless you, baby, bless you!
-Dewey
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Danke Schoen! (Wayne Newton's version!)
benwhowell

The Blues Are Brewin'

Post by benwhowell »

When I was growing up there were several relatives and friends of the family who would crochet and knit. (My mother never really got into that-she prefered reading and gardening.) We did reap the benefits of these talented women. All of our chairs, sofas and beds were draped with colorful afghans and our tabletops protected by doilies. I've missed that, as an adult, but I do haunt thrift stores to rescue these discarded pieces and give them a loving home. I also love quilts-especially story quilts. They are a little out of my budget...so I've considered forming a quilting bee. :wink: Seriously, I have a huge t-shirt collection that may (someday) become a quilt...with a curious story.
I LOVE '60s/'70s soul music too, SPTO. Being from Memphis, I'm partial to anything from the Stax label-especially Otis Redding and Carla Thomas.
Lately, I'm really into blues-especially Bessie Smith and Skip James.
Of course, Billie Holiday is my favorite. I could listen to her every day...and still feel like I'm hearing it for the first time.
inglis

Post by inglis »

I Like Chris play and write music.My Mom bought me a guitar and that's where I started. I would love to have a little recording studio just to put some of my songs down . I am married with 2 kids so my life is pretty busy.When I do get alone time I love to watch old movies of course and play guitar . I used to do photography years ago but don't really have the time it seems anymore. I still have my Minolta X7A and all my lenses. It is a great little 35mm camera.Maybe one of these days I will have to brush the dust off and get out and do some shooting.