In the news...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Moraldo Rubini

It's vast! Let's litter it!

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Space. Earthlings' final frontier. Today a fellow dressed as Star Wars' Chewbacca handed over one of the original props -- specifically the lightsaber -- from the 1970's space fantasy to NASA. The crew of the Discovery has plans to take it on their next trip (October 23, 2007) and jettison the prop into the abyss in honor of the 30th anniversary of the movie. It's a romantic gesture, I suppose; but golly, I think I'd rather see this prop in a museum devoted to movies. Maybe we can send Debbie Reynolds in a space shuttle to retrieve it?
Moraldo Rubini

Zuzu's Petals

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

I just learned that the San Jose Repertory Theatre is going to present This Wonderful Life November 24 - December 23. This one-man show traverses the world of Frank Capra's It's a Wonderful Life. The actor plays every character in George Bailey's town. Wait a minute, this piece is contagious! It's also playing in Boston, Pittsburgh and who knows where else? Has anyone seen this homage to Bedford Falls?
Moraldo Rubini

I Love Luce

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Filming continues on Boston's Newbury Street for the upcoming remake of The Women. Co-produced by Mick Jagger and directed by Diane English (the gal behind tv's Murphy Brown]. Reportedly, the casting looks like this:

Mary Haines (Norma Shearer) = Meg Ryan
Crystal Allen (Joan Crawford) = Eva Mendes
Sylvia Fowler (Rosalind Russell) = Annette Benning
Miriam Aarons (Paulette Godard) = Jada Pinkett Smith
Edith Potter (Phyllis Povah) = Debra Messing
Mrs. Morehead (Lucille Watson) = Candace Bergen

According to the attached article (see underscored text above), this project will return to the conceit of having only women in the picture (including the extras). Though it adds an intriguing hint about the appearance of the male species...
Moraldo Rubini

Was PickFair?

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

The Oscar people (Motion Picture Academy of Arts and Sciences) are suing to stop the public sale of two Academy Awards given to the legendary Mary Pickford. She won the Best Actress Oscar in 1930 for playing Norma Besant in Coquette. In 1976 she was awarded an honorary award "in recognition of her unique contributions to the film industry and the development of film as an artistic medium".

When she died in 1979, the awards went to her husband, Charles "Buddy" Rogers. Rogers, then willed the Oscars to his second wife, Beverly, who died last January. She left the statuettes to her heirs, and now they're attempting to sell them. The lawsuit names three of the heirs, in their roles as co-executors. It alleges "anticipatory breach of contract".

Academy bylaws (dating from 1950) and agreements signed by Oscar winners upon winning the awards, give the Academy first chance to buy the statuettes for $10.00 each if they ever go on the market.

Since Ms. Pickford was one of the founders of the Academy, it seems especially meaningful to have a tug-o-war over these gold-plated action dolls. Surely, Buddy Rogers knew of the stipulations. How odd that he would will them to his new family. With added inflation from 1950, the Academy might want to consider a higher price (maybe $100.00) to be paid for turning them over.
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

So, the infamous remake of The Women is finally a reality? Not a bad cast, although I don't picture Debra Messing as Edith Potter. Messing is stick-thin, and the ever-pregnant Edith seems an odd fit.

Eva Mendes is gorgeous, but can she be a bad girl? I've only seen her in nice girl roles.

I think that Annette Bening and Jada Pinkett Smith could be fantastic. We shall see!

Either way, I will be recording the original tonight at 3:45am on TCM to enjoy again.

Sandy K
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

This smacks of disaster. I've only heard of 3 of those people so can't really comment on the acting chops of them. But, if it's got Mick Jagger involved then it will sink like a rock (concert!!)........

And, holy ringlets Marco, poor Mary's Oscars should go back to the Academy and be displayed along with other Oscars at the Kodak Theater.

I often wondered what became of Mercedes McCambridge's Oscar. She had no remaining family when she died.

Larry
Moraldo Rubini

The Old Switcheroo

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

I wrote:Mary Haines (Norma Shearer) = Meg Ryan
Crystal Allen (Joan Crawford) = Eva Mendes
Sylvia Fowler (Rosalind Russell) = Annette Benning
Miriam Aarons (Paulette Godard) = Jada Pinkett Smith
Edith Potter (Phyllis Povah) = Debra Messing
Mrs. Morehead (Lucille Watson) = Candace Bergen
The peaceful Sandy wrote:So, the infamous remake of The Women is finally a reality? Not a bad cast, although I don't picture Debra Messing as Edith Potter. Messing is stick-thin, and the ever-pregnant Edith seems an odd fit. Eva Mendes is gorgeous, but can she be a bad girl? I've only seen her in nice girl roles. I think that Annette Bening and Jada Pinkett Smith could be fantastic. We shall see!
Larry wrote:This smacks of disaster. I've only heard of 3 of those people so can't really comment on the acting chops of them.
Well, "disaster" might be a little strong... It's not like remaking Psycho shot-for-shot or remaking Sabrina, but I have to admit to being disappointed with the choice of Meg Ryan as Mary Haines. I think I'd rather have Charliez Theron there, with Meryl Streep as her mother (though Candace Bergen is an interesting choice as the mother, and a shoe-in for the role considering the producer). I think Debra Messing would be better as Sylvia Fowler, though I suppose Annette Benning is a little old to play the ever-fertile Edith Potter. And I think Jada Pinkett Smith would make a swell Crystal Allen! She's gorgeous and has a cold edge to her. I would add Cameron Diaz in the Joan Fontaine role and Heather Matarazzo as a the manicurist...
Moraldo Rubini

Klaatu Barada Nikto

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

In further remake news, Twentieth Century Fox has announced the retelling of Robert Wise' sci-fi classic The Day the Earth Stood Still starring Keanu Reeves. Did I just hear Michael Rennie turning over in his grave? Who knows? People are always complaining that Mr. Reeves is wooden; and that would work fine in this role, no?
Moraldo Rubini

Bravo!

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Star of Yes Giorgio and the movie version of Verdi's Rigoletto, Luciano Pavarotti's health is failing due to pancreatic cancer. Nearly buried by his own hype and now widely famed because of a series of dreadful Three Tenors concerts, it's nearly forgotten that he was sincerely one of the greatest lyric tenors of the 20th century. Sometimes foiled by his own stage antics, his instrument was amazing and his performances in La Bohème, La Fille du Régiment reached the apex of tenor artistry.

We're saying prayers for you, Sr. Pavarotti.
klondike

Re: American Treasure

Post by klondike »

Moraldo Rubini wrote:With the recent release of Capote and Infamous, To Kill a Mockingbird author Harper Lee has risen in the public conciousness. Ms. Lee was a close friend of Truman Capote's, and her character was played by Catherine Heener and Sandra Bullock in those two movies. Last Monday, the reclusive writer broke her silence and made a rare public appearance in Alabama to induct new members of the Alabama Academy of Honor. It's nice to see that she's still well and sassy!
No disrespect to the subject(s) of this fine thread, but here must I wax tangential (at the risk of sounding like Yoda's attorney), and point out, as you mentioned the name of the shimmering Dark Star of Hollywood Fringe, Catherine Keener, that she is one cool & minxie dame that I could gladly spend a lot of time seeing more of, on screen or (should I turn-up in Aladdin's will) in person.
Next to the visually stunning (but sadly, as yet, undertalented) Eva Mendes, I personally find her to be one of the most viscerally attractive women currently performing in motion pictures today.
I'm sure there are all of 2 or 3 dozen other sane men in America who'd agree with me, and I will admit I'm hard-pressed to defend or expound on this opinion of preference, but there's just a whole bunch of ways that Ms. Keener (and yes, I know she's married; I'd put a "hit" on her hubby 'cept I can barely afford to pay my legal employees!) just reaches me, on several different deep, profound levels, that get touched by so few other (living) actresses.
Ah well; that's just what makes horse races, & political campaigns, so much fun, right?
Moraldo Rubini

Re: American Treasure

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

klondike wrote:
Moraldo Rubini wrote:With the recent release of Capote and Infamous, To Kill a Mockingbird author Harper Lee has risen in the public conciousness. Ms. Lee was a close friend of Truman Capote's, and her character was played by Catherine Heener and Sandra Bullock in those two movies. ...
No disrespect to the subject(s) of this fine thread, but here must I wax tangential (at the risk of sounding like Yoda's attorney), and point out, as you mentioned the name of the shimmering Dark Star of Hollywood Fringe, Catherine Keener, that she is one cool & minxie dame that I could gladly spend a lot of time seeing more of, on screen or (should I turn-up in Aladdin's will) in person.
Next to the visually stunning (but sadly, as yet, undertalented) Eva Mendes, I personally find her to be one of the most viscerally attractive women currently performing in motion pictures today. ...
It would seem, I need to get the H out of there! Sorry about that (and relieved that I'm free of Cinesage's ire here). I hope you noticed that Ms. Mendes was mentioned in a recent post in this thread too.

I'm sorry to see that the link to the Harper Lee article no longer includes her picture. I wonder if any of her fans here saved it to their hard drive? If so, maybe you'll be good enough to post it here...
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

Luciano Pavarotti has died this morning, aged 71.
While never really one of my favourites, he did bring opera and classical music to the forefront.

I am all for popularizing good music and aiming it toward the young.
In this light, Luciano was at the vanguard. That's why I don't begrudge "The Three Tenors" and even "Il Divo" their fame....

R.I.P. Maestro Pavarotti......

Larry
benwhowell

Soon to be "released"

Post by benwhowell »

klondike, forget about raising funds to put a hit on Dermot Mulroney. I read that Catherine has filed for divorce. :wink:
Catherine is one of my favorite contemporary actresses. I've been a fan since "Johnny Suede" in '91. She's got great "indie cred." I think some of her best work is with writer/director Nicole Holefcener-"Walking And Talking," "Lovely And Amazing" and "Friends With Money."
And, of course, her other Oscar nominated performance ( before "Capote") in "Being John Malkovich."
Moraldo Rubini

Cyd Charisse

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Tony Martin was scheduled to sing at Michael Feinstein's nightclub on New York's Park Avenue, October 21 & 22. But today I found this item:
Tony Martin has canceled his plan to do dates in the fall at Feinstein's at the Regency. It has nothing to do with his age (94) but with some health issues wife Cyd Charisse is having.
Anyone know more?
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Marco,

Wow, this is news to me and not very good either......
What with losing Jane Wyman yesterday, we can't afford to lose Cyd Charisse. She always seems so healthy in all her movies and in recent pictures (about a year ago).....

It would have been great to see Tony Martin have a triumph with a comeback performance.
Lana Turner always said he was such a gentleman and had a wonderful sense of humour......

Larry