WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
feaito

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by feaito »

I saw "The Tree of Life" (2011). I'm still digesting and assimilating all what I saw in this highly unique film. This movie is about experience, love, growing, frustrations, sensations, life....grace and nature....told through images and symbolism...a tour-de-force with awesome, moving sequences...not a film to understand, but to "feel" and "perceive". I understand why many people did not like it or were bored by it. One has to be "prepared" and in the right mood; concentrated and open... An amazing experience. Arguably one of Brad Pitt's best performances to date.
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

I watched "You Were Never Lovlier" again for the 6th time and enjoyed it immensly. Rita and Fred make a great couple. I did not like the title song but the dance to it was beautiful. Rita Hayworth was, in that movie, as beautiful as ever. It was easy to fall in love with her.

I read somewhere that Rita Hayworth was picked out as Fred Astaire's permanent partner but it was nixed by Fred because Rita was too tall.
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

feaito wrote:I saw "The Tree of Life" (2011). I'm still digesting and assimilating all what I saw in this highly unique film. This movie is about experience, love, growing, frustrations, sensations, life....grace and nature....told through images and symbolism...a tour-de-force with awesome, moving sequences...not a film to understand, but to "feel" and "perceive". I understand why many people did not like it or were bored by it. One has to be "prepared" and in the right mood; concentrated and open... An amazing experience. Arguably one of Brad Pitt's best performances to date.
So you're saying if I watch it, don't expect to see a linear narrative with a beginning...middle...end? If I know that going in, I can have a different frame of mind. I heard reviewers praise newcomer Jessica Chastain, as the mother. Was she really that good? Brad Pitt. Hopefully he'll get the recognition he deserves for being a good solid actor. His turn in "7even" was excellent.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
feaito

Post by feaito »

Uncle Stevie wrote:I watched "You Were Never Lovlier" again for the 6th time and enjoyed it immensly. Rita and Fred make a great couple. I did not like the title song but the dance to it was beautiful. Rita Hayworth was, in that movie, as beautiful as ever. It was easy to fall in love with her.

I read somewhere that Rita Hayworth was picked out as Fred Astaire's permanent partner but it was nixed by Fred because Rita was too tall.
Hi Uncle Stevie, This is one of my favorite musicals and I watch its musical numbers every once in a while (thank God for DVDs and its chapters!). I love the "Chiu Chiu" (a Chilean song by Nicanor Molinare) which features the Xavier Cugat Orchestra and the extremely lovely Lina Romay. All the numbers with Rita and Fred are top-notch.
feaito

Post by feaito »

CineMaven wrote:
feaito wrote:I saw "The Tree of Life" (2011). I'm still digesting and assimilating all what I saw in this highly unique film. This movie is about experience, love, growing, frustrations, sensations, life....grace and nature....told through images and symbolism...a tour-de-force with awesome, moving sequences...not a film to understand, but to "feel" and "perceive". I understand why many people did not like it or were bored by it. One has to be "prepared" and in the right mood; concentrated and open... An amazing experience. Arguably one of Brad Pitt's best performances to date.
So you're saying if I watch it, don't expect to see a linear narrative with a beginning...middle...end? If I know that going in, I can have a different frame of mind. I heard reviewers praise newcomer Jessica Chastain, as the mother. Was she really that good? Brad Pitt. Hopefully he'll get the recognition he deserves for being a good solid actor. His turn in "7even" was excellent.
Yes indeed Theresa, do not expect a linear narrative at all and "rational" coherence Re. the plot....well, don't expect plot either...just snippets of life.... Jessica Chastain gives a superb performance. I loved her as the mother. The images from the film still linger in my mind today...
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I'm behind on my movie watching. I've been watching old TV shows instead! I did watch some "extreme B" features somebody gave me. Nothing worth discussing! When the new super hero films come to video, I'll probably watch them. Probably. I like the comic book format. But it's getting pretty old!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u][color=#4040BF]FEAITO[/color][/u] wrote:Yes indeed Theresa, do not expect a linear narrative at all and "rational" coherence Re. the plot....well, don't expect plot either...just snippets of life.... Jessica Chastain gives a superb performance. I loved her as the mother. The images from the film still linger in my mind today...
Got it. Thanks. This helps. Well...it goes on the list for me to see "the movie everyone hated." You've given me a frame of reference to watch it. Thx!

MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I loved "Tree of Life." I agree that Brad Pitt was superb. In another type of movie, his character would have been a stereotype, but Pitt made the viewer feel the character's struggle.

I did like Jessica Chastain here, but I am a little mystified at all the praise for her in "Tree of Life." Her role is really rather small. I was far more impressed by her work in "The Debt," the Nazi-hunting movie that came out last fall. Still, she is a wonderful actress.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I saw "The Debt" and she was very good in it....but then there's Helen Mirren.

charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I watched Blast of Silence a movie I'd never heard of before but was recommended to me, directed by Allen Baron, starring him in the lead role as the assassin Frank Bono with Molly Maccarthy as Lori and Larry Tucker as Big Ralph, both who get in the way of the assassin carrying out his hit. I've never seen Larry Tucker in anything before and he certainly dominated the screen, in more ways than one, I loved his depiction of Big Ralph. Allen Baron as the lone assassin brought waves of sympathy from me, the orphan, the loner, finally wanting to leave his profession behind to make a go with Lori but he's misunderstood. The Bogey like voice over was chilling, a throw back to Bogey's era. I loved how Baron shot New York featuring it so prominently as back drop.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I'm not at all familiar with this one, Chaplin Fan. When was it made?
feaito

Post by feaito »

WHIRLPOOL" ( 1934 )

”I’ll be living this week the rest of my life.”

I watched "WHIRLPOOL" Sunday afternoon in my effort to continue exploring JEAN ARTHUR, someone beneath my radar for far too long.
Theresa, I watched "Whirlpool" (1934) last night and I was impressed by its quality; a good, involving plot, noteworthy performances and a touching finale.

What can I add to all that you wrote in your thorough post? Jean Arthur is so natural as the daughter; she gives such a honest perfromance and her chemistry with Jack Holt as her long-lost-father is so good; they convey truthfulness in their dialogue and corporal language. I did not care much for Donald Cook; he's just OK. Lila Lee, on the other hand, gives a luminous performance as Holt's wife and Arthur's mother (she was a bit younger than Arthur actually!). A big discovery for me. Sometimes films from smaller studios and/or lower budget productions carry a truthfulness and a heart-warming quality absent in glossier or most expensive productions, in which the so called "production values" tend to overshadow everything else.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Hi there Feo,

So glad you watched "WHIRLPOOL." (I see I wrote down the wrong actor...Cook no Woods. Woods I like). Lila Lee was quite interesting; made me think of Colbert a little. You're so right about what smaller studios / productions can elicit. Even today, studios throwing gi-normous sums at something like "The Avengers" or "Battleship" ugggggh! Sometimes too much spoils a director. I don't think James Cameron can make a simple story interesting anymore (if he ever). I dunno man. I dunno.

charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

RedRiver wrote:I'm not at all familiar with this one, Chaplin Fan. When was it made?
1961, it's not a film I'd heard of before I got a recommendation, it's worth checking out, it's a Criterion release.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

charliechaplinfan wrote:
RedRiver wrote:I'm not at all familiar with this one, Chaplin Fan. When was it made?
1961, it's not a film I'd heard of before I got a recommendation, it's worth checking out, it's a Criterion release.
The thread:

http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... f=1&t=3372