WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
RedRiver

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by RedRiver »

I almost rented WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN from Red Box, but the machine wasn't working. Anybody know this one?

Oh, and Klinger...nice outfit!
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

RedRiver wrote:I almost rented WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN from Red Box, but the machine wasn't working. Anybody know this one?
All the Kevin's of the world agree,
you'd be better off with Transformers 3.
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
feaito

Post by feaito »

Watched the intriguing and thought-provoking 2011 film "The Adjustment Bureau" which uses a premise that reminded me of a Twilight Zone Episode from the 1970s or 80s. Matt Damon and Emily Blunt do a good job in altogether satisfying film.

I also watched the BLU RAY release of the restored print of "Lady for a Day" (1933), a great sentimental comedy by Frank Capra with May Robson as Apple Annie. I was introduced to the story when I watched the 1961 version as a kid, but this one is superior.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

CineMaven wrote:MR. A., how can I trust what you say about Giallo when your fashion sense is all screwy
You must have missed this:

http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... 39#p103539

Those are all seventies films btw. 8)

Seriously though, from the way this question was posed and answered, it seemed most people have the idea that films of the seventies are not on par with the previous decades and there were fewer (perhaps only ten?) good ones to choose from. This is a point on which I would strenuously disagree. Films of the seventies were not the same as what had come before (there was no longer a production code in America for one thing and the theater chains were collapsing), as you had many different types of films to choose from. Sure, there were plenty of lemons in there, but you'll find the same in the thirties or forties if you're honest and objective.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u]feaito[/u] wrote:Watched the intriguing and thought-provoking 2011 film "The Adjustment Bureau" which uses a premise that reminded me of a Twilight Zone Episode from the 1970s or 80s. Matt Damon and Emily Blunt do a good job in altogether satisfying film.
I enjoyed that film very much. I think Matt Damon is really becoming a fine actor doing different interesting things (stay away from the Oceans, Matt). Emily Blunt is very very good ("Devil Wears Prada" "Dan In Real Life" "The Wolfman"- though I didn't really care for the film), and makes me think of Vivien Leigh (a tall order, I know) b'cuz of her depth. "The Adjustment Bureau" brought me to tears. Forget "Men In Black." Beware of Men with Hats. And look out for another up & comer: Anthony Mackie. I say to him, keep on keepin' on brutha. And stay away from Tyler Perry.
[u]Mr. Arkadin[/u] wrote:...Seriously though, from the way this question was posed and answered, it seemed most people have the idea that films of the seventies are not on par with the previous decades and there were fewer (perhaps only ten?) good ones to choose from. This is a point on which I would strenuously disagree. Films of the seventies were not the same as what had come before (there was no longer a production code in America for one thing and the theater chains were collapsing), as you had many different types of films to choose from. Sure, there were plenty of lemons in there, but you'll find the same in the thirties or forties if you're honest and objective.
I agree with you. It's sort of the "accepted" general consensus that the 70's were blehhhh. (That would be the 80's). No seriously, I'm partial to the 30's & 40's and am not objective about it but filmmaking and plots really broke free in the 70's. I looked at a list of 100 "best" films of the seventies and found thirty-one that I really enjoyed. I'll list them here since I'm not sure where else to put that list. As I thought about the films on my list, I thought...yeah... Yeah, the 70's rocked. At least for me.

And by the by Mr. A., I loved the Filmbar 70 YouTube video shown here. Very well done. Those films look so stylized. Nice!
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
feaito

Post by feaito »

feaito wrote:
Watched the intriguing and thought-provoking 2011 film "The Adjustment Bureau" which uses a premise that reminded me of a Twilight Zone Episode from the 1970s or 80s. Matt Damon and Emily Blunt do a good job in altogether satisfying film.

I enjoyed that film very much. I think Matt Damon is really becoming a fine actor doing different interesting things (stay away from the Oceans, Matt). Emily Blunt is very very good ("Devil Wears Prada" "Dan In Real Life" "The Wolfman"- though I didn't really care for the film), and makes me think of Vivien Leigh (a tall order, I know) b'cuz of her depth. "The Adjustment Bureau" brought me to tears. Forget "Men In Black." Beware of Men with Hats. And look out for another up & comer: Anthony Mackie. I say to him, keep on keepin' on brutha. And stay away from Tyler Perry.
Theresa, I enjoy smart plots that tackle these type of subjects very much and I forgot to mention that Mackie as a "Guardian Angel" gives a sensitive performance. What made the difference with this film is that the strong performances aren't overshadowed by the special effects. What makes you remember this film is the well told plot due to the superb performances; the special effects are absolutely secondary and not the pivotal item like in so many other films.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Sure, there were plenty of lemons in there, but you'll find the same in the thirties or forties if you're honest and objective.

Absolutely. We remember the good ones. We enjoy discussing them. The truth is, in any era, there were probably more bad movies than good. In the studio era, they churned them out too fast. In later years, they simply had weird ideas as to what was entertaining. I know people who really like 70's films. It's their special interest. I'm not aware of a paricularly negative reputation.

It's the efforts of the last two decades that don't impress me. Sinking ships, flying robots, exploding zombies. There must be a story in there somewhere!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I owe myself a couple of movies. Yes, the obvious blockbusters: ("The Avengers" "Snow White & The Huntsman") but it looks like I better get to the Marigold quick, fast & in a hurry. One good thing about being retired...you can have a gigantic 1000-seat theatre ALL to yourself!

Yay!

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Let's not forget the story of our 16th president's little known avocation. ABRAHAM LINCOLN, VAMPIRE HUNTER! I understand it opens soon. And Obama thinks he has problems!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I will probably see the new Spider-man movie. I'm a little tired of super heroes (as opposed to vampire chasing presidents), but The Lizard is my favorite Marvel villain. His image harkens back to the cheezy old horror films we like! I still haven't seen THE AVENGERS.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

KR, did you watch Downton Abbey? Penelope Wilton was brilliant as Isobel Crawley, Maggie Smith's nemesis. She does disagreeable very well, doesn't she?

T, get thee to the Marigold!!!!!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

KR, if you know anyone who has the DVDs of Season 1 and 2, beg borrow or steal them! Ok, beg or borrow... Just the barbs between Lady Violet (Maggie Smith) and Isobel Crawley (Penelope Wilton) are marvelously witty. Actually, every time Lady Violet opens her mouth.....look out!

I assume the season 2 episodes will be shown just before season 3 begins (that's what they did with the season 1 episodes). Trust me, :wink: :wink: you'll be glad you did!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u][color=#4000BF]RedRiver[/color][/u] wrote:Let's not forget the story of our 16th president's little known avocation. ABRAHAM LINCOLN, VAMPIRE HUNTER! I understand it opens soon. And Obama thinks he has problems!
I must have had the brain of a seventeen year old boy melded onto my own, because I definitely am putting ABE LINCOLN on my list.
[u][color=#800080]feaito[/color][/u] wrote:Theresa, I enjoy smart plots that tackle these type of subjects very much and I forgot to mention that Mackie as a "Guardian Angel" gives a sensitive performance. What made the difference with this film is that the strong performances aren't overshadowed by the special effects. What makes you remember this film is the well told plot due to the superb performances; the special effects are absolutely secondary and not the pivotal item like in so many other films.
You’re right Fernando. It all boils down to the story wrapped around these sfx. By the by. Anthony Mackie will be in “Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter.” Hey...an actor’s gotta make a living too.
[u][color=#008000]knitwit45[/color][/u] wrote:T, get thee to the Marigold!!!!!
Yes ma’am. I heard the worst news...that Dame Judi is losing her eyesight.
[u]RedRiver[/u] wrote:I will probably see the new Spider-man movie. I'm a little tired of super heroes (as opposed to vampire chasing presidents), but The Lizard is my favorite Marvel villain. His image harkens back to the cheezy old horror films we like! I still haven't seen THE AVENGERS.
Red River, get thee to "The Avengers."