*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
mongoII

Re: *CANDIDS*

Post by mongoII »

I see said the blind man. Thanks, Larry.
It's Irene Dunne that surprises me. I would have never thought.
Last edited by mongoII on June 3rd, 2012, 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
TONY CURTIS (1925 - 2010)

COLLEEN DEWHURST (1924 - 1991)

LEO GORCEY (1917 - 1969)

ELLEN CORBY (1911 - 1999)

PAULETTE GODDARD (1910 - 1990)
Joseph Goodheart
feaito

Post by feaito »

mongoII wrote:Larry, when I saw the image I thought the same thing about Velez. However I didn't realize that Cooper's wife was a b-i-t-c-h. In fact I use to feel for her since her husband was such a b-a-s-t-a-r-d.
If you know what I mean.
Adrienne Amès is by far the most beautiful lady of the three, I saw here recently in "A Bedtime Story" and she had the most incredible eyes, looks and figure. Joe, Veronica Balfe aka Sandra Shaw a b-i-t-c-h? Gary a b-a-s-t-a-r-d? I would have never thought they were such. I knew Gary tended to be unfaithful and had affairs, but I thought they were basically a happy couple and nice people. I know Rocky Cooper came from a more affluent or "high society" background. Wasn't she related to Cedric Gibbons? Maybe I should read Maria Cooper's Bio on her dad if there's any...
I never knew Rocky or Gary Cooper; but I did know Dorothy DiFasso and Rose Douras, who knew Gary quite well, before the wedding!!!!! They hadn't a good word for Rocky.
I also knew Irene 'vaguely' and stayed away from her as much as possible. Judy Lewis and I thought she exuded all the charm & fridgidity of "the wicked witch from Snow White".....
Irene Dunne? That's a surprise. I only know about her that she had low profile as Hollywood star, that she was a staunch Republican (like Loretta and Gary) and very conservative.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Birthday boy Tony Curtis, wife Janet Leigh & daughters Jamie and Kelly
Joseph Goodheart
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Joe & Fernando,

In defence of Irene Dunne and just so you all don't think I'm all negative about her:
I have always thought Irene Dunne was the best all-round actress Hollywood ever had; and I told her so at Marion Davies funeral. She smiled and put her hand on my shoulder and said, "Thank you, dear"... The thank you was warm and with a smile; the dear was cool to cold and with a straight face. That's the closest I ever got to her; unlike Paulette Goddard, who's today's birthday girl. Or Marion, Pola, Mae or Merle Oberon, who were all huggy and kissy women. Or Elaine Stewart or Lana or Dolores Gray. Even Agnes Moorehead was an affectionate person......

Back to Irene:
She could sing, dance, act in comedy drama, tragedy or farce - and on stage too as well as her movie career. I have the greatest admiration for her as a great star!!!

Larry

PS - I don't think she was comfortable around children, even though she had two girls. I think they were "her husband's children" and were adopted?????
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Robert Walker and wife Jennifer Jones study a script in their home
Joseph Goodheart
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I'd read the Rocky Cooper set herself apart from others and looked down her nose at some of the community. Was Cooper a b-a-s-t-a-r-d because he had affairs or did he have other faults as a husband? Unfaithful husbands weren't a rarity in Hollywood. I thought Bruce Cabot was a bit of a b-a-s-t-a-r-d too because of what he did to Errol Flynn? Adrienne Ames does look beautiful, quite the prettiest there. The painting in colour might have over shadowed the ladies.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

The lovely Adrienne Ames (1907 - 1947)
Joseph Goodheart
feaito

Post by feaito »

How stunning.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
BRUCE DERN is 76 today

JOHN DREW BARRYMORE (1932 - 2004)

NAN LESLIE (1926 - 2000)

DENNIS WEAVER (1924 - 2006)

ROSALIND RUSSELL (1907 - 1976)

RUSSELL HICKS (1895 - 1957)
Joseph Goodheart
feaito

Post by feaito »

Vecchiolarry wrote:Hi Joe & Fernando,

In defence of Irene Dunne and just so you all don't think I'm all negative about her:
I have always thought Irene Dunne was the best all-round actress Hollywood ever had; and I told her so at Marion Davies funeral. She smiled and put her hand on my shoulder and said, "Thank you, dear"... The thank you was warm and with a smile; the dear was cool to cold and with a straight face. That's the closest I ever got to her; unlike Paulette Goddard, who's today's birthday girl. Or Marion, Pola, Mae or Merle Oberon, who were all huggy and kissy women. Or Elaine Stewart or Lana or Dolores Gray. Even Agnes Moorehead was an affectionate person......

Back to Irene:
She could sing, dance, act in comedy drama, tragedy or farce - and on stage too as well as her movie career. I have the greatest admiration for her as a great star!!!

Larry

PS - I don't think she was comfortable around children, even though she had two girls. I think they were "her husband's children" and were adopted?????
Thanks for your feedback Larry.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Today's birthday gal Rosalind Russell clinches it with Hedy Lamarr
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Spencer Tracy visits birthday gal Rosalind Russell
Joseph Goodheart
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

One noticeable problem I have is that my great love, Deanna Durbin, is almost never seen with other celebrities other than stars of her own pictures. Do I detect either she was not popular or too aloof to be in public crowds. I am startlelingly upset but curious for the answer.
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
PEGGY STEWART is 89 today

ROBERT LANSING (1928 - 1994)

HERB VIGRAN (1910 - 1986)

JOHN ABBOTT (1905 - 1996)

WILLIAM BOYD (1895 - 1972)