This week on SVENGOOLIE...

RedRiver

Re: This week on SVENGOOLIE...

Post by RedRiver »

I don't know that episode. Wish I did. I've only seen ROUTE 66 a few times, but based on that limited exposure, I consider it one of the great TV dramas. It had a quiet, literary quality.
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

It's from season 3. The episode is called Lizard's Leg and Owlet's Wing.
[youtube][/youtube]
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
intothenitrate

Post by intothenitrate »

Thanks for the link, MJ. I had to just stop what I was doing and watch all the installments. To my modern eyes, some moments are a little bit cringe-worthy, but it was such a treat to see Karloff, Lorre, and Chaney alive and kicking, I didn't care. Chaney does most of the heavy lifting -- monster wise -- but what a kick to see Karloff reprise "old flat-top" at the end of the episode.

While I was there (at youtube), I had to watch the "This is Your Life" segment with Boris Karloff. What a sweet man, what an accomplished human being! While the rigors of stardom seems to have left so many people in shreds, he emerges with his humanity intact...and then some. There's almost a kind of Buddhahood about him.
"Immorality may be fun, but it isn't fun enough to take the place of one hundred percent virtue and three square meals a day."
Goodnight Basington
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

intothenitrate wrote:While I was there (at youtube), I had to watch the "This is Your Life" segment with Boris Karloff. What a sweet man, what an accomplished human being! While the rigors of stardom seems to have left so many people in shreds, he emerges with his humanity intact...and then some. There's almost a kind of Buddhahood about him.
I recently watched that, too, and "Buddahood" is a pretty perfect description. (Loved seeing Jack Pierce!)
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

The interesting back story to Karloff's appearance on "This is Your Life" is that he was rather upset with Evie for helping to plan the "surprise". He did enjoy himself, however, though once the post-show party was over, he was rushed to the hospital with, I believe, pneumonia.

NAME-DROPPING ALERT

Robert Stack told me the same thing about "This is Your Life". He would not speak badly about Ralph Edwards, whom he liked, but said the program and the way the "guest" was approached was an intrusion and often in bad taste. Apparently Stan Laurel was so annoyed by this that he had to be coaxed into joining in on the "This is Your Life" Laurel & Hardy tribute. If the YouTube is still up, Lou Costello doesn't look so thrilled, either.

BTW: Watch Bud Abbott on the telecast. He was totally . . . liquified.
intothenitrate

Post by intothenitrate »

The people posting at the bottom of the youtube videos aren't quite as polite as Mr. Stack. Just watched the Buster Keaton tribute. Buster was great (everyone agrees). Ralph Edwards doesn't inspire quite the same affection.
"Immorality may be fun, but it isn't fun enough to take the place of one hundred percent virtue and three square meals a day."
Goodnight Basington
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I knew about Boris Karloff not being thrilled at his appearance, I didn't know about Stan Laurel and the others. It's not broadcast here anymore but even as a child I wondered what happened if a guest refused to go on. Did anyone refuse in America? The only person I ever heard of refusing was Cyd Charisse.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Well, I think Robert was really being polite. He was a nice guy who didn't want to speak poorly of anyone. But I picked up the undercurrent that he wasn't very fond of Mr. edward's intrusion into his life. He didn't care much for the program itself, either.

The only highlight of the telecast, he told me, was the surprise appearance of his "High and the Mighty" director William Wellman, who, he also said, kept him and the cast terrified (and on their toes) all during the time of filming that airborne epic.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

So Lon (Mr. Jr. as I call him) is back in bandages tonight in THE MUMMY'S TOMB. I'll watch at least a little of it. I tend to fall asleep in front of the TV. I don't care all that much about seeing these movies again. It's just fun to share the experience with other fans.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Don't get this program up in Winnipeg, but I own all the classic Universal DVDs.

Some years back it was suggested that it really wasn't Lon under all those wrappings - at least for a good part of the time. Merely a couple of shots to justify the use of his name in the credits. I must confess that in some shots I do wonder whether it truly is Chaney Jr. as Kharis.

RedRiver, I have the tendency to do the same thing, fall asleep in front of the TV while sitting through a movie - particularly an old classic. And it's happening more frequently. What the heck is going on, amigo!

Are we (gasp) growing older?
charliechaplinfan

For me, it's not that I haven't the inclination to watch at night but the time that I've settled the kids, tidied up and seen to the pets is getting later every night, the much longer for film I've wanted to watch all day goes on my body starts thinking, hang on I'm shattered now but I try to persevere, it doesn't always work.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Oh come on, Alison, let's just admit that we're gettin' older . . .
charliechaplinfan

I can't do that, I still only feel 25, the mirror tells another story. I want to be one of these dotty old ladies who are young at heart and have bags of energy. I'll be dissappointed one day but for now I'll dream.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

I know. I just turned 55 but feel no older mentally or emotionally (if only a little physically) than I did at 17. Heck I've outlived my dad by three years and he seemed so much more mature than I think I am.
charliechaplinfan

I know, I'm a much happier person at 41 than I was at 21, but I'd love to be able to be able to bounce back like I did at 21.