A "demi-god" among the mere mortals?

Discussion of programming on TCM.
moira finnie
Administrator

A "demi-god" among the mere mortals?

Post by moira finnie »

Laurel Wreath for the Winner of the TCM Programming Challenge.
(Photo courtesy of House of Nikodemus, Wreath Maker to the Gods)

Well, well, thought you could just wander around among the mortals on our board, trying to blend in, eh---
Kyle in Hollywood!?

Think again, Kyle, (aka hlywdkjk). Your laurel wreath awaits you (above), as do some serious bragging rights , o winner of the most recent Programming Challenge on the TCM Message Board! Since your well-deserved triumph for the best of the best imaginary schedules for an entire week on TCM is for a second time, I think it may be time for you to climb up on Mt. Olympus and join the big cheeses. If the Olympian heights are not to your liking, maybe they could give you your own parking space at TCM hq on Techwood Drive!

Congrats, Kyle, your schedule, (especially the Dark Mirror inclusion), and all those submitted were very impressive, (especially SSO buddies Benwhowell, Filmlover & Movieman1957 too! You guys made it tough choosing, but entertaining reading). Hope that this means that alot of these creative ideas will find their way onto the air asap. The list of all the schedules may be accessed here.

Great job moderating, Sugarpuss! Thanks for giving us something good to read over there.
Last edited by moira finnie on September 16th, 2007, 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Congatulations, Kyle! With the stiff compitition that you faced from the other 5 applicants, you certainly deserve the praise. Good for you.
Joseph Goodheart
klondike

Post by klondike »

Congrats indeed, Kyle; and how at once ironic and serendipitous that the winner is also a Moderator here at Silver Screen Oasis!
:lol:
Zut alors, mi amigo, it is to laugh & cry & dance about in the streets.
When I saw Moira's pic of the guilded laurel, I couldn't help but flash on that classic commercial that Pepsi did, spoofing (& in-clipping) the movie Spartacus: "OK, got a bag lunch here, has Spartacus writen on it . . sandwich, apple, cupcake, can of Pepsi . . and hey, it's still cold!"
Anyway, major fruit-loop that I am, I could just see all these cinematic sword-&-sandal headliners crowding onto the TCM Award stage - Kirk from Spartacus, Kerwin from the Argonauts, Robert T from Quo Vadis, Chuck Heston from Ben Hur, Dick Burton from Cleopatra, Stevie from the Herc spaghetti epics - all clamoring in their best High Roman voices:

I'M KYLE! - No, I'M KYLE- No, I Tell you, I'M KYLE!

(OK, and I stayed up too late last night & am a Sunday Morning whack job!)

Regardless, CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN, Kyle, you really deserved this one!
And all hail the other contenders!
I sure as dickens couldn't have competed!
That stuff's hard! :shock:
Moraldo Rubini

Hail!

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Congratulations Kyle. I hope this means we'll see more of you in the Oasis again. I miss your posts here!
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Congratulations, Kyle. Good job!

Lots of competition, and let's not forget one of our other SSO members, benwhowell. He also had a great schedule. We are so lucky at SSO!

Maybe Kyle will find more time to be here now.

We venerate you, Kyle!
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
sugarpuss

Post by sugarpuss »

Don't forget: two other SSO'ers - Filmlover and Chris (movieman1957) - also submitted really strong schedules as well. I'm glad there wasn't a tie, because I didn't want to have to choose. They were all so good and each schedule had themes and movies that I loved!

Thank you to all the SSO'ers that participated in the challenge and in the voting--especially with the great board meltdown of 2007. It meant a lot to me. With all the negativity that's hounded there in the past, I wanted to create a thread/challenge that was fun and I'm glad that so many people found it to be that way. Thank you for making it such an enjoyable experience.

Congrats, Kyle! I'm very happy you won. Wear your laurel wreath proud!
"Some of the best parts of life are frivolous." - Arthur Kennedy in A Summer Place
-----
The Roadshow Version: A Modern Take on Classic Movies
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Congrats Kyle and other finalists. I checked out everyones schedules, but forgot to vote! :oops: I kept putting it off because I couldn't decide and the next thing I knew it was over. My apologies to all of you. Still, everyones work looked great and I'm happy it was an SSO poster who won. 8)
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

OOPS! And Filmlover and Chris!

We are blessed with abundance....
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Great work Mr. Hollywood. You lived up to your name!!!

Also to all the others who have the guts to participate, you're all winners!

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Thanks for the kind words. I'm always flattered (and surprised) when I get a vote. Hopefully we'll have some of these ideas show up on TCM in the spring.

It's not as hard as it looks although it can take some time. Everyone is welcome and encouraged to join in the next one.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Kyle In Hollywood

Thanks For The Kind Words

Post by Kyle In Hollywood »

Hello all -

Thanks Moira - and everyone else that has chimed in - for the recognition and for the good wishes. They are very heart-warming and I appreciate them all.

After this stint as moderator, I will probably pass into "Challenger Emeritus" status - still participating but declining to be voted on. Creating Challenge Schedules is a fun pasttime and I can't deny that the potential to influence the actual TCM schedule is a great motivator.

I would love to see some of you try your hands at Challenge #8. You all know that Peter, Lynn, Chris, BenwH, Rebecca, tracyk and all the others are fun a group to play with.

"...maybe they could give you your own parking space at TCM hq on Techwood Drive!
I'd be happy just to park their cars at Techwod Drive.

kjk
Kyle In Hollywood
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

^ No you wouldn't. It's a dangerous area down there! :P

But seriously, Kyle...I don't keep up at the TCM board, but congrats on your win!
My wife said she'd help young people, ... That's what I'd do. Help young people, then buy a big motor home and get out of town.
~ Gary Cooper
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Hi Kyle and Congratulations!

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I stand in awe of the wealth and depth of your film knowledge. I couldn't pretend to be a pretender to the throne you so justly sit upon! The King is dead, long live the King!

As always,

Hollis
markbeckuaf

Re: Thanks For The Kind Words

Post by markbeckuaf »

I'll add my hearty congrats, Kyle!!! Way to go, dude!

I haven't been able to keep up on the various boards much lately, work is nutso crazy freaky. But I saw your note on the TCM board about the December schedule--appreciate it! I didn't reply because by the time I saw the thread, it was well past your post. I have a difficult time posting there with quotes, doesn't seem to work well there for me. Anyhooo...didn't want you to think I ignored it, I definitely saw it, and yep, I'm totally grooved out on the Dec schedule.

And again, congrats! :)

Kyle In Hollywood wrote:Hello all -

Thanks Moira - and everyone else that has chimed in - for the recognition and for the good wishes. They are very heart-warming and I appreciate them all.

After this stint as moderator, I will probably pass into "Challenger Emeritus" status - still participating but declining to be voted on. Creating Challenge Schedules is a fun pasttime and I can't deny that the potential to influence the actual TCM schedule is a great motivator.

I would love to see some of you try your hands at Challenge #8. You all know that Peter, Lynn, Chris, BenwH, Rebecca, tracyk and all the others are fun a group to play with.

"...maybe they could give you your own parking space at TCM hq on Techwood Drive!
I'd be happy just to park their cars at Techwod Drive.

kjk
It's a pre-code world and we're living in it!