Norman Wisdom R.I.P

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
stuart.uk

Norman Wisdom R.I.P

Post by stuart.uk »

Norman Wisdom the star of several classic Brit movies, like Trouble In Store with Lana Morris, The Square Peg with Honor Blackman and The Early Bird has died. He was well into his 90s
Last edited by stuart.uk on October 5th, 2010, 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Norman Wisdom R.I.P

Post by movieman1957 »

I have only scene "Trouble In Store" as TCM played it last year. The good thing about his films is that several more seem to be available at Netflix. I think you mentioned him a while back and that was the first I ever heard of him.

I understand he was iconic in Britain. A sad day for you.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

He was even more iconic in Albania were he is a national hero.

Radio 2 had a lovely tribute to him at dinnertime and played a song that I never knew he recorded by all accounts he was one of live treasures. His films livened up many a rainy Sunday afternoon when I was little.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Albania???? That sounds even more odd than Jerry Lewis being so popular in France.
Chris

stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

I think Norman turned his back on trying to crack Hollywood. as I think he had custody of his children and thought they'd be better brought up in the UK.

I think he would be a good subject for a film biopic. Norman had a violent father and said that was how he learned to take a fall. Norman for a while was homeless, before joining the army and their band, which was his first taste of entertaining

He was a phyiscal actor and did many, if not all, of his own stunts. Remarkably in his 70s Norman was still able to throw himself over a piano.

He without telling the producers it was him put forward the song he wrote Don't Laugh At Me Coes I'm A Fool for Trouble In Store. It was accepted and forever became his theme song
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

I found this tribute to Norman. it's BBC, so I'm not sure you'll get it. If not I can find a film clip from somewhere

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I got it to play, Stuart.

He had such a lovely voice.

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

It played for me too. He seemed a lovely man and was obviously a special talent.
Chris

stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Here he is in old age on the Des O'Conner show

stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Norman and host Bruce Forsyth did a classic Sunday Night At The London Palladium during an equity strike. This is the end

charliechaplinfan

He was a national institution, a lovely man, if not slightly mad which we love. He was massive in Albania, his films were the only foreign movies allowed to be played on Albanian national television, they loved him.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Here's another nice clip of Norman with Bruce Forsyth

stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Found this clip of Norman playing football in one of his movies. It's delightful

charliechaplinfan

I watched a programme on Norman Wisdom last night, I had no idea of his early years, they were tragic, full of suffering, he joined the army when very young, height 4ft 10 and weight 5st 9, from the Army he worked his way to the little man, Norman Pitkin who created havoc and gave such laughter. It took me back to my childhood watching clips from his movies. it struck me how his form of comedy was similar to Keaton's or Chaplin's but adapted for sound. A huge talent, sadly missed.