New Code of Ethics at TCM City

Rule discussion, feature requests, what have you.
mrsl

New Code of Ethics at TCM City

Post by mrsl »

Has everyone seen and read these? It gets a little involved in some areas but the gist of it seems to cover most of the problems. I notice CS has not posted since 7:00 a.m. this morning. Possibly things are better?

Anne
ken123

Re: New Code of Ethics at TCM City

Post by ken123 »

mrsl wrote:Has everyone seen and read these? It gets a little involved in some areas but the gist of it seems to cover most of the problems. I notice CS has not posted since 7:00 a.m. this morning. Possibly things are better?

Anne

I hope so ! 8)
filmlover

re: cs

Post by filmlover »

Actually, I don't think cs has posted since Tuesday. I think they removed her. That or she got a new name. Or both.
Kyle In Hollywood

Post by Kyle In Hollywood »

"stoneyburke" has disappeared too!

Make of that what you will.

kjk
Kyle In Hollywood
filmlover

re: cs

Post by filmlover »

And I saw a reference (actually, many) to a Sister Luke being cs, and I looked the name up and saw for number of posts: -1. lol, first time I have seen anyone with a negative number.
filmlover

re code of ethics

Post by filmlover »

Re: code of ethics

It is not that easy to spot at first. It would be nice if TCM could put it in bold at the header of every thread.

Reading through it, though, I think one thing they missed that I am happy to see here is that each person may only have one screenname, with having two a reason to bar that person.

They also talk about copyright material not being used. I wonder if we will still be allowed to post pictures of film posters and the like without there being a problem?

And they say no contests without written okay from TCM. How will that affect the Challenge?
SSO Admins
Administrator

Re: re code of ethics

Post by SSO Admins »

Here's the one of several things that really bothered me:
By transmitting or displaying User Content on or through the Service, you grant Licensors an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, worldwide right and license to use, reproduce, publicly perform, publicly display, distribute copies and create derivative works of the User Content in any media now known or hereafter devised, and to grant and authorize sublicenses under the foregoing right and license without any compensation to you.
It's not that I think that my message board postings have any commercial value, but I really dislike the idea that they are seizing the right to repurpose what I or any other poster writes there in perpetuity.

It's possible that I might wish to reuse my own writing in some form. The idea that another entity has an unlimited license to use that content, even if they do own the forum itself, is highly disturbing.

What if Larry decided to put some of his star reminiscences into a book. Would he need to negotiate with TCM for the rights to his own memories? Worse, what if they decided to put them into a book?
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

jondaris wrote:Here's the one of several things that really bothered me:
By transmitting or displaying User Content on or through the Service, you grant Licensors an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, worldwide right and license to use, reproduce, publicly perform, publicly display, distribute copies and create derivative works of the User Content in any media now known or hereafter devised, and to grant and authorize sublicenses under the foregoing right and license without any compensation to you.
It's not that I think that my message board postings have any commercial value, but I really dislike the idea that they are seizing the right to repurpose what I or any other poster writes there in perpetuity.

It's possible that I might wish to reuse my own writing in some form. The idea that another entity has an unlimited license to use that content, even if they do own the forum itself, is highly disturbing.

What if Larry decided to put some of his star reminiscences into a book. Would he need to negotiate with TCM for the rights to his own memories? Worse, what if they decided to put them into a book?
I'm wondering if they really have the legal right to do that without payment or express written permission from the poster. (If you're paid, your contribution becomes a "work for hire.") Is there an "I Agree" feature?

By the way, where is the Code - I haven't been on the Old Country site for a while, and I couldn't find it just now.
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Jon,

Good point and Larry's reminiscences is a good example to use to illustrate your point. I'm not reading any "grandfather" notice in the TCM ethics quote. However, I don't know how a lawyer would compose a "grandfather" notice. If I was Larry, I would NOT post any more valuable "movie stars I have known" messages.

Rusty
filmlover

Post by filmlover »

By the way, where is the Code - I haven't been on the Old Country site for a while, and I couldn't find it just now.
It's in the Announcements section on the main Message Board. Here's a link to what it says:

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/ann.jspa?annID=16
sugarpuss

Post by sugarpuss »

filmlover wrote:And they say no contests without written okay from TCM. How will that affect the Challenge?
That's what I was wondering about as well. If someone like cs is feeling really vindictive, then I'm sure she could protest the challenges (since it is a "contest"), and it could be nixed for good. That would be terribly sad, since I love participating in those.

I may be showing how stupid I am, but I really don't like all that legal mumbo jumbo. I would have preferred for TCM to just post a clear, concise list of "Official Rules to Abide By", instead of having us all guess about what they're trying to say.
"Some of the best parts of life are frivolous." - Arthur Kennedy in A Summer Place
-----
The Roadshow Version: A Modern Take on Classic Movies
filmlover

re TCM Challenge

Post by filmlover »

I am hoping since TCMprogrammr has looked in and enjoyed the contest that there won't be a problem, but allieharding may have to send him a PM.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

They are certainly trying to be thorough, but it may be a case of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Look at this:

Any content that contains video, photographs, or images of another person without his or her permission (or in the case of a minor, the minor’s legal guardian);

Does this mean no more celebrity photos, as on the Galleries? Or are they merely trying to cover their posteriors with regard using images of other posters? I think it's a badly worded and confusing clause.

I like the preamble, where you agree to all these terms merely by using the boards. It's like that thing on "The Simpsons" where Marge reads "By reading this out loud you are hereby giving permission to . . . . ." (whatever - I forget the exact circumstances).

One of the problems TCM will have is that Internet law is still in formation, and there are many things going on over the net that there are simply no laws against as yet. I think they may be trying to write a new tax code here - being fair to everyone by being fair to no one. I believe the word du jour is "draconian."

At least this screed will call attention to the problems that are ongoing, assuming everyone reads the thing. I didn't read it until today, because I haven't been around TCM City and I didn't even know where to look.
Kyle In Hollywood

Post by Kyle In Hollywood »

The TCM CoC paragraph regarding "contests" -

• Any content or use that engages in or solicits commercial activities or sales without TGN’s prior written consent such as, without limitation, contests, gambling, betting, sweepstakes, barter, sales advertising, investments and pyramid schemes;

The operative words in the above paragraph are "commercial activities". The TCM Programming Challenges aren't anything remotely "commercial" in their purpose or execution. But, to be safe, I would think twice about offering prizes to participants for the time being.

The question I am left with in the above paragraph is - "What the heck is TGN?" (Maybe it is the company that operates the contests/drawiings at the TCM website.)

And it is apparent that TCM is taking the CoC seriously. Within an hour of notifying them of three instances commercial spam posted overnight on the site, it was gone.
Kyle In Hollywood
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Rusty,

I agree with you regarding Larry's memories (I have trouble spelling the r word). I hope that Larry will ultimately visit us over here and maybe share some more of his stories.

I was concerned regarding all the creativity and time that has gone into many of the posts in the original CCC thread over in the city.

Is there a way to bring them over here by cutting and pasting? A big job but one I would gladly volunteer to help do if the idea is possible.

Those posts would have to be grandfathered in so right now, they should, like Larry's posts, belong to the posters who participated.

As for the Challenge, I agree with Kyle's assessment of the CoC, though I think handing out prizes for the time being should be curtailed.

TCMProgrammr is a big fan of the Challenge and Allie might want to PM him and get his permission before announcing the next Challenge.

Better safe than sorry.

Let me know what you guys think about the CCC posts before I get out the ream of paper and the Elmer's glue.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese