Comfort foods

Chit-chat, current events
JackFavell

Re: Comfort foods

Post by JackFavell »

I haven't actually checked the ingredients yet, but many probably have wheat and corn fillers and also sulfites. And I can't eat onions anymore, they make me ill. So the whole thing is off limits for me too.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I love Five Guys ... I go there every other Friday for dinner with friends

I took my dog there! Tied her to a table outside, got my hot dogs, went out and shared with her.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Alison:

If they are ever called anything but "hot dogs" here it usually just "franks." And then almost always that term is paired with "beans." Hot dogs and baked beans.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

You guys are too funny with your digestion remarks. There are many things I can no longer eat and one of them is White Castle Hamburgers. I also have trouble with onions cooked or raw.

The ingredients in hot dogs is the same as Bologna. it is all junk meat left over from the slaughterhouse. Hebrew National is about the best for content and flavor. But then again we all have different tastes.
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

movieman1957 wrote:Alison:

If they are ever called anything but "hot dogs" here it usually just "franks." And then almost always that term is paired with "beans." Hot dogs and baked beans.
I know my kids like the cheapest of the cheap when it comes to hot dogs, they don't even need the onions which to me make the hot dog. We liked our baked beans.

Has anyone got a recipe for Boston Baked beans? I'd rather follow an authentic American recipe than try to make them myself.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Here is one recipe that my family loves to do for our family picnic ... and its pretty simple for me to do.

Here's the link.

BOSTON BAKED BEANS

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/boston-baked-beans/
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I like White Castles too. When my time comes, it's no secret what will get me!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Thanks Erik, I shall make them for my family :D
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
hbenthow

Post by hbenthow »

Here's a hot dog recipe invented by Bat Masterson (yes, the real Bat Masterson) called the Prairie Dog.

Take a hot dog, and slit it open lengthwise. Rub sage generously into the slit and the sides of the slit, then broil the hot dog until it's done.

Take a bun, and put mustard and thinly-sliced dill pickles on one side. Sprinkle the other side of the bun generously with Worcestershire sauce.

Put the hot dog in the bun, and it's all ready to eat.
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

This sounds like something invented by someone who does not like hot dogs.
Uncle Stevie

hbenthow

Post by hbenthow »

Uncle Stevie wrote:This sounds like something invented by someone who does not like hot dogs.
I'm not sure what Bat Masterson thought of hot dogs in general, but the author of the book I found the recipe in (the book is a collection of historical recipes and the stories behind them) said: "It makes the usual catsup and mustard wiener sandwich taste very poor in comparison." So, who knows, there might be some truth to your suspicion.

Speaking for myself, I like hot dogs fixed in the usual ways (mustard and chili, etc), but I like prairie dogs as well. They're not necessarily any better than the other ways of fixing hot dogs, but still very good.
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

I agree with you. my knowledge of food goes a long way as i am an amatueure cook and sometime chef and i have done all the cooking at home for my family for the past 20 years. one observation about my own family, 15 of us at gathering time, is that everyone has different tastes. some of my kids will only eat spaghetti plain with butter and no sauce. while others like ketchup and it doesn't matter how grest my hhome made sauce is. when out in public all the kids will eat hot dogs from anywhere and with any dressing. i personally have eaten hot dogs plain or with mustard or with ketchup or relish. it all depends on my mood that day. Se Le Vie!
Uncle Stevie

ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Catsup? Mustard? Chili?

RedRiver & Western Guy, are you with me on this?
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I'm afraid so. All varieties of this great American delicacy are fine. But there's nothing like The Chicago Hot Dog!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

RedRiver wrote:I'm afraid so. All varieties of this great American delicacy are fine. But there's nothing like The Chicago Hot Dog!
I love that too ... Red! :)