San Diego, I Love You

Isn't Romantic Comedy redundant?
MikeBSG

San Diego, I Love You

Post by MikeBSG »

William K. Everson raved about this movie, a comedy from Unviversal in 1945, in his book "Hollywood Bedlam," a look at the screwball comedy. He said Buster Keaton had a great cameo in this film as an unhappy bus driver.

Ever since reading about it, I've wanted to see it, but I've never come across it anywhere. (I'd never even heard of the film before I read "Hollywood Bedlam.") Has anyone seen it? Was Everson right or just nostalgic?
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Mike:

I taped it from Cinemax very early one morning earlier this year. (Unsure if I still have it.) It is an odd but fun film. Keaton's role is only a cameo rather like James Gleason's role as taxi driver in "The Bishop's Wife."

Eric Blore cries through most of it. Irene Ryan (Granny Clampett) has a small role near the end of it. Edward Everett Horton is fine too. I liked it but I don't know that I'd qualify it as a "rave." I'd recommend it.

I'd never heard of it either but when I saw a movie from 1943 playing on Cinemax I thought I'd give it a try.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
sugarpuss

Post by sugarpuss »

I taped this a few months back - I think February, mainly because of Edward Everett Horton. I love anything he does, even when he's in movies that aren't of the best quality. Eric Blore was another draw as well. And I agree with Chris, I liked it, but I wouldn't call it a rave. I'd recommend it only if you're a big fan of any of the actors.

My main problem was with Louise Allbritton. I found her to be whiny. I kind of wanted to just slap her across the face. Her intentions were good, but I just thought she was annoying.

The best part is the bus ride with Buster Keaton as the bus driver. The whole segment with him has this beautiful, dreamlike quality and it's the one part of the movie that just clicks.

The ending seems kind of rushed as well. But I'd definitely tell you to at least see it once so you can judge it for yourself. If you get any of the Cinemax channels, these are the next airdates:

10/3 5:05 AM - MORE MAX - EAST

10/24 5:00 AM - WMAX - EAST
"Some of the best parts of life are frivolous." - Arthur Kennedy in A Summer Place
-----
The Roadshow Version: A Modern Take on Classic Movies
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

The thing that amuses me, and it amused Everson as well, is that Louise Allbritton had been the vampire woman in "Son of Dracula" a few years before. That is the role I know her best for.