'Round the World Weather Report

Chit-chat, current events
JackFavell

Re: 'Round the World Weather Report

Post by JackFavell »

The operations during and after the storm were botched completely, and there are some who think it was because the majority of victims were poor and of color. Disgraceful. Were I one of the people who fell down on the job, I would not be able to look myself in the mirror or walk down the street until I had righted all the wrongs committed.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Just heard from Judith, she just got her power back on, off since last Monday. She had a good supply of matches, candles and batteries, said it was better than being in an uncomfortable shelter. She is in Sheepshead Bay, said service into the city is next to non existent, car service refusing to go in for fear of traffic jams. Her offices opened today, but very few were able to make it in.

Just thankful all of you have weathered this as well as you have!!!
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I can believe it of Judith in Sheepshead after just seeing some of the reports. This is going to be a logistical headache for a while. I live on 3rd Avenue and the gridlock of people trying to get out is astonishing. I didn't even think that many drove in today...but they staggered in gradually and are leaving all at once. Not good. Tomorrow they are actually going to open one lane on 3rd in contra-direction (going downtown instead of uptown) to allow buses an extra avenue to shuttle people from Brooklyn. Yikes! I can't imagine what that will be like.

I think I'll be hearing honking and idling motors in my dreams tonight.
:D
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

We have a dead tree hanging off the electrical wires in the back yard. The electric and gas have been off since Monday night and the suppliers are saying maybe it will be back by midnight on Saturday. Am I going to ask the them for a credit? You bet. I'm currently connected to the internet from the public library at the moment, though it is not a public network that I trust, so I won't be around much until my home connection is restored.

It could have been a lot worse, of course. At least we have a house, unlike some in the downstate/tristate area.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I'm so glad to hear from you and that you're alright, Moira.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Good luck on the credit to your bill. These situations have not normally brought about credits. Until recently in MD the utility actually got to recover some of their lost revenue in these situations. It usually ran under $1 per customer but people were not happy about it when they found out. The trouble was it was the state who out that clause in the utility requirements.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

It's the difference between a 'politician' and a person who has dedicated his/her life to helping people.

A friend of mine says we should stop paying elected officials; get people who will volunteer their services.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Thanks, Chris. I just thought I'd try...I really wasn't expecting much. Just a little light, heat and hot water would be okay with me. I'm glad to see that most of us seem to have weathered this thing alright.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

RedRiver wrote:A friend of mine says we should stop paying elected officials; get people who will volunteer their services.
Maybe your friend would like NYC's Mayor Bloomberg -- he is in his third term and has never taken a salary, just a token $1 per year. Of course, he is a multi-billionaire. :P

My home continues to be fine, no problems except for spotty cell phone service, thank goodness. The main issues I'm having are transportation and laundry. This morning my car service cancelled my reservation due to lack of drivers, without notifying me. I found out when I called in to report he was fifteen minutes late. [To think I had let a yellow cab go by because it was still a couple of minutes early.] But I got very lucky and was able to hail a livery cab at the corner, and still got to work on time. The two main issues are drivers not wanting to fight the traffic jams and the gasoline shortages -- most service stations around town are either closed due to flooding and lack of electricity or selling out their supply and closing until they get their next delivery. I think transport will be more-or-less back to normal here in town by next Monday -- just have to get through this evening and tomorrow.

Laundry is another issue. I can't do it myself because my small apartment building has no facilities, so we all use drop-off service. The laundry on my block was still closed this morning. A larger cleaning facility on the avenue was open so I carried the bag over there and dropped it off, but there's no telling when I'll get it back. They send the washing out, and laundry they've sent since last Saturday still has not come back due to lack of staff at the plant, the employees unable to get to work. Usually it's same-day service, in by nine, out by five. Well, many of them will probably be able to get in today since public transport is coming back online, but they will have quite a backlog to get through. Sigh. If I can get it back Saturday I will be pleased, but more realistically it will be early next week. Actually, as long as my bag doesn't get lost in the crowd I will be happy, whenever it comes back. :lol:
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Moira, I'm so glad you are OK! sorry about your lack of power and water - does that mean you have well water? And the tree coming down, well thank goodness it didn't pull that power line down into your house! Talk about scary! I hope you are doing OK. Let us know when you get back online.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I'm glad you've ALL managed to get online to let us know you're all OK. I keep seeing the clips on the TV and thinking of you all.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

My heart goes out to all those affected by the storm. I am sitting here in my ok home and watching videos of the damage and hardships I cannot help but choke and sometimes outright cry at the loss. Over a million without power and people standing in mile long lines trying to get gasoline. It is horrible. 20 feet of water in some buildings in New York City that were dug into the bedrock. It is a chilling experience. My whole family survived well except for one son who had a power failure but that is all. We were blessed. The famous New Jersey Shore resort area is totaly gone, washed away. It will take billions to recoer and time is unknown.
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I watched the story about the New Jersey historic area, the park that gives the area it's flavor was completely destroyed. It's all very sad. I can't help thinking about all those people in all the areas affected, without power or even homes to go back to. We've had our share of heartaches here in CT, but the scope is small compared to what some communities are going through. There is a telethon to raise money tonight.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

When both Jack Favell and Uncle Stevie mentioned the Historic New Jersey Shore ... I know what they are talking about and I visited that area several times in my life and I have some of my fondest memories there. Having picnics with my friends, enjoying the Atlantic Ocean, and seeing kids building sand castles too.

Man, and now this is gone and I heard reports on the News about it and seeing it destroyed by Hurricane Sandy can affects the "lives" that live there.

I am glad that I had a chance to see it ... about 3-4 times in my life.
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

I'm glad to see that everybody is safe after the hurricane. I hope the electricity and everything will be back to normal very soon.
Sorry, I haven't been on SSO very much recently. But I want to give you all my best wishes. :)