In the news...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Moraldo Rubini

Re: Strike a pose...

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

benwhowell wrote:I saw something on The Today Show about this GQ ish. Isn't it the magazine's 50TH anniversary? I've been anxious to pick it up since seeing the story. I LOVED GQ in the '70's. Conde Nast changed the whole feel of it...in the early '80's.
Did you check the link of the top 50 in my post? I love how it opens right to Marcello Mastroianni.
benwhowell

Ralph G. Allen

Post by benwhowell »

Thanks for that link, Marco. That is the most interesting list I've read in a long time. I miss the days when magazines were "cool." I haven't bought an issue of Interview or GQ in over 20 years, but I'll be sure to get this one.
Another "entertainment" magazine I loved was After Dark. Remember that one? I have a few issues. One that stands out is the cover story of Broadway's "Sugar Babies" with Mickey Rooney and Ann Miller. I wonder why that never made it to the big screen?
[youtube][/youtube]
Handsome Johnny Eck
Moraldo Rubini

Re: Ralph G. Allen

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Ben wrote:That is the most interesting list I've read in a long time. I miss the days when magazines were "cool." I haven't bought an issue of Interview or GQ in over 20 years, but I'll be sure to get this one.
Another "entertainment" magazine I loved was After Dark. Remember that one? I have a few issues. One that stands out is the cover story of Broadway's "Sugar Babies" with Mickey Rooney and Ann Miller. I wonder why that never made it to the big screen?
Sure, I remember After Dark. It kept me up-to-date with the hip and underground NY scene back then... There are some good new magazines out now. You'll need to check out your neighborhood newstand and discover what's new. I normally only buy magazines when I'm about to board a plane...
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

A better list thatn expected, although I can't buy putting in Woody Allen and leaving out Cary Grant.

I don't fool with magazines on planes anymore. I take the laptop and watch movies. It's a lot of fun seeing my seatmates get caught up in a silent film in spite of themselves.
Moraldo Rubini

MacGuffin

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Evanston's (that north of Chicago, you know) Northwestern University is hosting Casting a Shadow: Creating the Alfred Hitchcock Film September 28 - December 9. The exhibition is to concentrate not on Hitchcock alone, but rather bring to light the many artists with whom he collaborated to make his wonderful pictures. Included throughout the run of the show will be a film series including 31 showings films and television programs. Here is a slideshow some examples of production designs and storyboards from the show. And if you can't make it, there will be an illustrated catalogue available for purchase.
Moraldo Rubini

Mime's the Word

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Mickey Rooney, isn't slowing down at age 87. He's presently touring Great Britain with his wife Jan. They've been married 35 years now. This week they're appearing at The Playhouse in Weston in his autobiographical musical Let's Put on a Show. In December he'll open as the Baron in a British pantomime in Sunderland. As Mickey says, "There may be a little snow on the mountain, but there's fire in the furnace."

Catching up:
Regarding the [u]G[/u]Q list, Jon wrote:A better list than expected, although I can't buy putting in Woody Allen and leaving out Cary Grant.
Cary Grant was certainly dapper, but I'm not sure that he created a fashion statement of his own. I guess I'd nominate Fred Astaire, who wore ties as belts and wild colored socks to set of his khakis.
Moraldo Rubini

Viva Comden!

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Lauren Bacall and Elaine Stritch joined other to bid farewell to Broadway lyricist Betty Comden last week at Manhattan's Majestic Theatre. Comden, who wrote for many films including, Good News, Singin' in the Rain, The Band Wagon, Auntie Mame, among others, died last November. Introducing the hour-long program Great Women Salute a Great Woman: Betty Comden, Bacall said she was "tender, sophisticated, madecap and funny as hell. And loyal."

Bacall had starred in Applause, Comden and Green's musical version of All About Eve in 1970. Comden and Green had worked together for 65 years before he died in 2002.

Lucie Arnaz sang "One Hundred Easy Ways to Lose a Man" from Wonderful Town (the musical version of My Sister Eileen). Green's widow, Phyllis Newman sang "I Was a Shoo-In" from Subways Are for Sleeping, and their daughter Amanda Green sang "If". Barbara Cook sang "Some Other Time". Other numbers included some from On the Town, Peter Pan.
knitwit45

The GQ list

Post by knitwit45 »

Regarding the GQ list, Jon wrote:
A better list than expected, although I can't buy putting in Woody Allen and leaving out Cary Grant.

You guys just stopped too soon. After #59, there is an ad, but if you look at the bottom of the page, it has a link to the last man on the List....Mr. Grant. Instead of one photo, there is a whole series of him.
Moraldo Rubini

Elizabeth Taylor Hilton Wilding Todd Fisher Burton Burton...

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Oh my. Elizabeth Taylor's name is so long, I can't even include her last two husbands in the subject line. And according to today's Daily News, she might be marrying No. 9: Jason Winters (who recently bought her a house in Hawai'i). They appeared together last night, at her AIDS Foundation benefit. She was bedecked in her best jewels, including the brobdignagian 33-carat Krupp diamond that Richard Burton gave her a Valentine gift so many years ago. She's supposedly scheduled to perform in an upcoming production of Love Letters with James Earl Jones. Some have suggested the marriage talk is a publicity venture. Why? Because she has her sites set on a remake of Sunset Boulevard with Elizabeth as Norma and Colin Farrell as Joe. She's also been in talks regarding a remake of Whatever Happened to Baby Jane. Whatever it's all about, it's good to see her back on the AIDS fundraising trail, hauling out her jewels like a real Hollywood grande dame and back in the news.
Vecchiolarry

Rosamund Warner Fortensky

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hello Marco,

I have generously continued La Liz's other names for you in my title bar

I saw Dame Elizabeth on the news last night and she is still in a wheelchair.
How is she going to do the Norma Desmond role when she has to climb up & down those stairs a thousand times?? It nearly killed Glenn Close and Diahann Carroll when they did it.......

Colin Farrell is a good choice for the lover but I'd still go with Glenn Close. She wants an Oscar and should have one. Let her be Norma...

Do we have a picture of the new & future husband, part IX???????

Oh BTW, ladies and gentlemen, I have been informed by Elaine Stewart that she visited Zsa Zsa and 'the big Z' is doing quite well and was laughing her Zsa Zsa laugh with Elaine.
ZZ told Elaine that if & when she dies, Freddie (the horrible husband from hell or is that East Germany {what's the difference?}) plans to marry Elizabeth Taylor......
I wonder if Liz knows and if she's planning on putting a speedy motor on her wheelchair for the "getaway"?????

Larry
Moraldo Rubini

Re: Rosamund Warner Fortensky

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Vecchiolarry wrote:I have generously continued La Liz's other names for you in my title bar.

I saw Dame Elizabeth on the news last night and she is still in a wheelchair. How is she going to do the Norma Desmond role when she has to climb up & down those stairs a thousand times?? It nearly killed Glenn Close and Diahann Carroll when they did it.......

Colin Farrell is a good choice for the lover but I'd still go with Glenn Close. She wants an Oscar and should have one. Let her be Norma...

Do we have a picture of the new & future husband, part IX???????

Oh BTW, ladies and gentlemen, I have been informed by Elaine Stewart that she visited Zsa Zsa and 'the big Z' is doing quite well and was laughing her Zsa Zsa laugh with Elaine.
ZZ told Elaine that if & when she dies, Freddie (the horrible husband from hell or is that East Germany {what's the difference?}) plans to marry Elizabeth Taylor......
I wonder if Liz knows and if she's planning on putting a speedy motor on her wheelchair for the "getaway"?????
Larry, thank you for finishing Dame Elizabeth's name. I hope to see it on a marquee soon!

As for the Norma Desmond staircase, she could either have one of those staircase lifts (like Catherine Nesbitt had in The Farmer's Daughter), "Max" could carry her ("I'm ready for my lift up, Mr. DeMille."), or she could live in a ranch style home in Bel Air (we'd have to change to the title to West Sunset Boulevard). Colin Farrell is a swell choice for Joe!

As for the picture of the beaming couple, I don't have a photobucket account. Let's see if this link works.

And thanks for the Zsa Zsa update! Glad to hear she's merry!
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

Thanks for the photo link; she looks wonderful, more like the old Liz than of recent........

More gossip:-
Sotheby's has announced that the Duchess of Windsor's pearls with pendant is going on auction again.
Kelly Klein bought them after the Duchess died and now she wants rid of them.
Elizabeth Taylor has expreesed interest in them and so maybe she needs a new movie role to pay for them!!

Also, I've been told by my French connestion gossip mongers that Prince Charles may buy them for Camilla.
My cousin, Gisele, told me, "Imagine one old whore's pearls bought for another old whore!!"......
When I told her that these pearls had once belonged to Queen Mary, she said, "What kind of old trollop was she??".....

That's your laugh for the day!!

Larry
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

As for the Norma Desmond staircase, she could either have one of those staircase lifts (like Catherine Nesbitt had in The Farmer's Daughter), "Max" could carry her ("I'm ready for my lift up, Mr. DeMille."), or she could live in a ranch style home in Bel Air (we'd have to change to the title to West Sunset Boulevard)>>

My cousin, Gisele, told me, "Imagine one old whore's pearls bought for another old whore!!"......
When I told her that these pearls had once belonged to Queen Mary, she said, "What kind of old trollop was she??"..... >>

Does anyone know how to get margarita out of a keyboard and off of a monitor without it being forever sticky?

Thanks to Marco and Larry for the best laughs of the day!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Moraldo Rubini

Ladro!

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Every computer owner's nightmare came true for Francis Ford Coppola: robbers raided his Buenos Aires studio and he lost 15 years of computer data, including writings and family photographs. According to Bill Cormier of the Associated Press, Coppola pleaded on Argentinian radio for the bandits to return his computer backup device, which was taken along with his computers. [Is this a lesson that we should keep our backup in a different location?] He said, "it was just a little thing... but the information is worth much time. If I could get the backup back, it would save me years -- all the photographs of my family, all my writing."

Four robbers -- at least one with a knife -- broke through the front door, tied up four employees and took four computers, cell phones and other valuables, apparently picking the studio at random. One of the employees was cut by the knife during a struggle. Noticias Argentinas said one of the stolen computers contained Coppola's script for Tetro, a story about Italian immigrant artists set to begin shooting next year with Matt Dillon.

Coppola stated this would not cause him to leave Argentina, where he plans to shoot the feature film. Nevertheless, he's thinking of relocating from the chic Palermo neighborhood to another district where he'd feel more safe.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Believe it or not Zsa Zsa (in her 80's) did a recent spread for Vanity Fair magazine, and she looked quite stunning.
The room had to be cleared as she was carried by her prince? from her wheelchair (recent leg operation) and placed on a fancy divan.
Since she is reported not to like women, she was happy that the photographers were all male.