MOVITA is 95 today
(She was Marlon Brando's 2nd wife)

VICTOR FRENCH (1934 - 1989)

HORST BUCHHOLZ (1933 - 2003)
Joseph Goodheart
Uncle Stevie

Re: *CANDIDS*

Post by Uncle Stevie »

My favorite Star. Happy Birthday Deanna Durbin.
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Thanks for reminding me of the birthday of former child actor Jimmy Hunt, who was so good in Pitfall & Cheaper By the Dozen, & especially easy-to-identify-with in the unforgettable Invaders From Mars. Mr. Hunt still makes appearances at occasional movie events, as can be seen in the photo below taken at a Pittsburgh Fest. I can still see a bit of the freckle-faced kid in his gentle face--
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
feaito

Post by feaito »

Happy birthday to the lovely Deanna Durbin too. I've been planning for days to watch her in "It Started with Eve" and "First Love".

Happy birthday to Movita Castañeda or "Castenada" too. She was part of the cast of the Gable 1935 version of "Mutiny of the Bounty" and married the star of the 1962 version of the same story (Brando), who afterwards married Tarita, his co-star in the latter film. How uncanny.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Holy hotcakes! Never saw Deanna look so -- voluptuous before. And to think she's a gal from my hometown of Winnipeg -- or, today, better called Winter-peg.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Songbird Kathryn Grayson cuddles up with a good book
Joseph Goodheart
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Western Guy wrote:Holy hotcakes! Never saw Deanna look so -- voluptuous before. And to think she's a gal from my hometown of Winnipeg -- or, today, better called Winter-peg.
Durbin had a gorgeous figure, and was very sensual in some of her later movies in the mid-40s, Stone. I believe that dress in the picture chosen by Mongo was one she wore in the relatively "straight" drama, Christmas Holiday (1944).
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Former child star and birthday boy Jimmy Hunt in 2010
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

The stars of "This Earth Is Mine"– Kent Smith, Dorothy McGuire, Claude Rains, Rock Hudson and Jean Simmons– help director Henry King celebrate his four decades in motion pictures. October, 1958
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
ALVY MOORE (1921 - 1997)

MARGARET HAYES (1916 - 1977)

OTTO PREMINGER (1905 - 1986)

GRACE MOORE (1898 - 1947)
Joseph Goodheart
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Gotta love Preminger. Put poor Tom Tryon through living hell in THE CARDINAL then after all of the abuse used him again in IN HARM's WAY, where again ol' Otto made Tom's life miserable. Kirk tried to intercede, telling Tom just to stand up to the bald Germanic b****** but Tom was just too gentle a soul to heed Kirk's advice.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Stone, Tryon should have took Kirk's advice. I read that Otto Schmotto did the same thing to Dorothy Dandridge while making "Carmen Jones", and she still had an affair with the b******.
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

It's James Cagney cutting off Mickey Rooney's blood supply
Joseph Goodheart
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Joe, from what I've heard Otto was one of the sweetest guys to meet in a social setting, but put him on a film set and he became a martinet. Naturally he didn't try to strut this stuff with Kirk or Duke, but with Tryon . . . well maybe he took advantage of Tom's . . . sensitivity.

Great shot of Cag and the Mick. Love the story Mickey tells in his autobiography of the time he and Cagney (and some others whose names I forgot) went out on the town and got royally loaded. The next morning Mickey awoke to a blinding hangover and groaned: "I'm afraid I'm going to die", to which an equally ill Cagney responded: "I'm afraid I won't."
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Looking at the photo has made me realise how Mickey Rooney was born to play Jimmy Cagney's son, a pity they worked at different studios.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin