TCM Message Boards

Chit-chat, current events
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I'd like to know more about blogs however. Would they be for analysis of a favored movie with options for comments, or just personal opinions on whatever comes to mind?
Anne
I dunno. Perhaps Jon might elaborate on how he sees the blogs since he would be the primary administrator of them. Have you visited Jon's query under Site Talk at SSO Blogs, found here? I suspect that like most aspects of this site, it might evolve the way that the members would like and emerge as our own unique creation!
:wink:

Re: TCM stuff
As I mentioned, I'm sorry about TCM's problems, unfortunately can't do a thing to correct them, and I'm especially chagrined when individuals feel so discouraged about the turn that their site has taken. I tend to visit on occasion, but find that this site and a few others are easier to access and generally I'm happily surprised when people respond positively, but know that good manners are rare on the web and in the world. The simple golden rule still applies as a way to hang on to civilization. I try not to take anything that happens on the internet or the street too personally, since in the grand scheme of things, I know that it's small potatoes! All I can do is thank you and everyone else for sharing your enthusiasm about movies, books and everything else with us.
Please take care, Anne.
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

mrsl wrote:I'd like to know more about blogs however. Would they be for analysis of a favored movie with options for comments, or just personal opinions on whatever comes to mind?

Anne
We are a movie site, so I would hope that most of them relate to movies in some way, but you can post whatever you want. Personal opinions on anything are fine.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

jondaris:

I definitely prefer movie blogs to anything else, especially with some of the fantastic people we have on this board who can so clearly pinpoint special items we wouldn't ordinarily see. Some of lz and moira's posts almost make me feel as if I'm watching the movie while reading, they have such a gift of bringing things to life as do Ms Goddess, Hollis and a few others.

Therefore I think blogs are a good idea, I just wanted reassurance that they would remain in the movie vein.

Sometimes I'll come from one of the political boards I post at, and when I read something here, I forget where I am before I know it, I have two paragraphs about the latest screw up in D.C.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
markbeckuaf

Several of my posts deleted today

Post by markbeckuaf »

I posted a few things on TCM boards today. They all appeared earlier, but then suddenly most were gone. A few have re-appeared, but some are still missing. A few replies to some threads are still gone. Now, this is Sunday, someone actually sits there and deletes posts on a Sunday? In addition to that, all were on-topic (about classic films), and were civil (always am, or try to be). What the heck? I am increasingly wondering why I waste my time there. I'm considering going back to just lurking there, reading, and posting on nice and user-friendly message boards like this one.
It's a pre-code world and we're living in it!
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Mark,

I know of what you speak!!!
Whole pages have disappeared out of one of my threads there. And, some posts have appeared with different and jumbled up dates on them.

Nobody seems to be concerned and so I'm not either. I don't post there much anyway and some days don't even bother to check in there.
And, all the margins are so wide!! As I'm a very impatient person, I don't read most of it if I can't see it.....

Stay on here and your frustration level will go down and you can have a cup of tea while reading & relaxing.....

Have a grand day!
Larry
knitwit45

"Pardon our Dust"

Post by knitwit45 »

Did anyone else see the newest message from the Administrator? Looks like it was posted today, and is an acknowledgment of the ongoing problems. At least someone is finally paying attention!

Nancy
Erebus

Post by Erebus »

I noticed Nancy. It was good to see. Nice to get a nod from the folks behind the curtain.
markbeckuaf

Post by markbeckuaf »

Thanks for all the kind words, and I love posting here! :) I will continue to post on there, I guess, things have been corrected or addressed, so it's cool, but I really like the calm and welcoming atmosphere here a LOT! :)

Mark
It's a pre-code world and we're living in it!
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

John - I think you're right on the money there. Also think that the un-namable one is posting there under at least one OTHER name.
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Good morning all,

With all of the positive things people have had to say about this site, and with a sizable (and growing) member list, I'm wondering why anyone is at all concerned with what's happening over at TCM. There can't possibly be anything available over there that isn't available here, and in a much more relaxed and amenable environment. Since The Oasis's inception, I don't think I've posted a single comment or question at the old site. Personally, I don't see any reason to do so, as all the people that were so helpful and friendly at the TCM boards are now posting here. Given that time is such a rare commodity (is that an oxymoron?) I see posting at both places a duplication of effort and a distinct waste of that time. With folks like Lynn, Moira, Kyle, Larry and Klondike aboard, I don't know that there's a single question that can be asked that can't be answered, or subject broached that can't be intelligently discussed, right here! Why go anywhere else? After all, wasn't the raft of problems and inconsistencies at TCM the reason this site was started in the first place?

As always,

Hollis
vallo

Post by vallo »

I agree Hollis, I was there today and I wrote a responce and half of what I typed was missing. I tryed to edit it with double and triple spaces but, it's still missing most of my responce. I had it over there. They can't seem to get it together. Long live SSO

vallo (Bill)
"We're all forgotten sooner or later. But not films. That's all the memorial we should need or hope for."
-Burt Lancaster
inglis

Post by inglis »

vallo wrote:I agree Hollis, I was there today and I wrote a responce and half of what I typed was missing. I tryed to edit it with double and triple spaces but, it's still missing most of my responce. I had it over there. They can't seem to get it together. Long live SSO
Hi Bill .I have to agree with you .I have not been on TCM in a very long time .I really like it here now .Its a good crowd and I am really comfortable with everyone.I went on weeks ago at TCM and noticed some fighting and just though how nice it is here ,and I am not going back there.
Cheers. Inglis

vallo (Bill)
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hi! I just wondered if anyone else has experienced a problem logging into the forums this morning. They seemed to be fine up to about 20 minutes ago and now I get some message about being unable to initialize Jive software...
vallo

Post by vallo »

I was there earlier and it was fine. But now I keep getting an Error Message. @ 10am .

vallo
"We're all forgotten sooner or later. But not films. That's all the memorial we should need or hope for."
-Burt Lancaster