What about Cary Grant ?

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I watched In Name Only early Saturday a.m. Usually when I watch it, I keep my eye on the ladies Carol Lombard and Kay Francis because both are playing parts quite different from the norm for each of them. Carol is usually funny, and Kay is usually the 'victim', and this time it's pretty much turned around. But yesterday, I kept my eye on Cary most of the time. This was quite a workout for Mr. Grant. He maintains his elegance here, but manages to lose his cool in the most elegant way. About half way through the movie, telling his parents 'a thing or two' and at the end telling Kay where she can go, the man is unbelievably suave and debonair, I would imagine it would be hard to get angry with someone who so beautifully tells you to take a flying leap.

So many fine movies were turned out in 1939, this poor little gem was lost in the great shuffle. It's definitely worthy of a closer look, if you've just kind of brushed it off in the past - check it out a second time.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hi Anne. Good point, the turnabout in roles for Carole and Kay, which they executed beautifully. I'd love to see In Name Only come to dvd, it's a wonderful film.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Mr. Arkadin wrote:A very underated actor who most people considered just a personality.

He was usually only known for his comedic skills which were amazing in themselves. Look at the scenes in His Girl Friday (1940) where he and Russell run though lines at 80 miles and hour, yet they are perfectly in sync and taking every hairpin turn together. Bringing up Baby (1939) shows a totally different personality type and great physical comedy.

Comedy is timing. It's not so much what you say as how you say it. Unfortunately the Academy doesn't really hand out Oscars for comedy roles which is a shame, because it shows how little some people know about acting. If they were to see the lines on paper before seeing the film perhaps they would have a greater appreciation for what these gifted people do with their roles.

When Grant did step into drama he was as good as anyone in the business. Films Like Notorius (1946) and Crisis (1950) showed quite a different side of Grant. One he should have probably explored more. Clifford Odettes' None but the Lonely Heart (1944) pushed the envelope of his skills and is a great performance. In Name Only (1939) is another fine example.

It frustrates me to no end when I'm told (once by a TCM poster) "Cary Grant just played the same role over and over." These people are fooled by his abilty to create a great part or line and make it work within his style.

My personal favorite of his moments on film, is in Only Angels Have Wings (1939) when Jean Arthur realizes he is crying over the death of the Kid. It's a beautiful shot--and it's Cary Grant.
I love what you have said about Cary Grant Mr Arkadin. In fact all of you. I love it when someone so talented is so rightly praised. I'm fed up of hearing that Cary Grant only ever played one role.

My favorites are the screwball comedies of the thirties. I agree with Katharine Hepburn about how good he looked with his 'tummy'. I liked Grant when he was a little more filled out.

I think he made some good films in the forties, Notorious, Mr Blandings Builds His Dream House and The Bachelor and The Bobby Soxer are the favorites of the ones I've seen.

Once the fifties got underway he was Mr. Suave. Cary Grant belonged to the technicolour age of the movies and the assuredness he had achieved with his acting made him pure viewing pleasure.

He knew when to bow out and became an ambassador for Faberge. Even in retirement he operated with style.
myrnaloyisdope

Post by myrnaloyisdope »

I adore Cary Grant, he's my favorite actor. He's the epitome of cool, but at the same time was a fantastic comedian. I don't think we will see another like him, who can appear so effortless at everything he does.

He's the one person in film that I want to know as little about as possible, simply because I don't want to ruin the mystique of him being the perfect man.

My favorite performance of his is Holiday, he was born to be Johnny Case, an incredible combination of charisma, exuberance, and earnestness. I also love him as Walter Burns in His Girl Friday, I think that might have been my introduction to Cary Grant, he's so charming yet he's such a jerk at the same time and his comedic timing is incredible.

Just a brilliant actor, and thankfully there's a ton of his work out there to enjoy.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Thankfully a lot of Cary's work has been brought out on DVD. I rented as many as I could to get more acquainted with him. One thing I found out, I can never get bored of Cary Grant, it's just not possible.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Lauren

Post by Lauren »

Cary is by far my favourite classic comedy actor. The man was a genius. :D
GaryCooper

Re: What about Cary Grant ?

Post by GaryCooper »

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow.
D. W. Griffith
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

D. W. Griffith
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

D. W. Griffith