Happy Anniversary, SSO!

Rule discussion, feature requests, what have you.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Happy Anniversary, SSO!

Post by Lzcutter »

Just wanted to say Happy Anniversary to the best little message board on the interwebs!

The Silver Screen Oasis officially began six years ago today!!

We have been blessed with a wonderful group of Oasisians (is that a word?) who have helped to keep the lights on and the conversations flowing all these years. Speaking for the admins, we truly appreciate all of you (and those who are no longer with us but remain in our hearts and in the spirit of the boards) and the time and care you take to help make this outpost a place of lively discussion, cool fun facts and deeply personal writing about the films, the people and the television that matters to you.

By sharing that writing, you have helped us all to appreciate your favorites and your not so favorites much more than we would have were it not for the Oasis. You have helped all of us look a little deeper at the monthly TCM schedule and the Star of the Months, to see beyond just our favorites and explore the films we wouldn't necessarily watch if it weren't for you (a wink to Moira and Jean Gabin on that one).

So, please join me in raising a glass of your finest beverage and salute yourselves because without you guys, this outpost would not be.

Please know how much we appreciate all of you, your loyalty and friendship and we look forward to many more years of hanging out and talking with you about the films, the people, the television and the pop culture that matters to you!

Thank you for making the Silver Screen Oasis an oasis indeed!

Happy Anniversary to us all!!

Lynn aka lzcutter
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Happy Anniversary, SSO!

Post by moira finnie »

Yeah! Ditto! Like she said!!

None of this was foreseen but thanks for building this "happy accident" to everyone who has helped make the SSO feel like home for 6 years.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

This has been such a grand group. I've made some fine friends here and that has been the biggest surprise. No only has it been fun it has been an education.

Thanks to all who have contributed time and effort into making this such an interesting place to talk not only about movies but life and family.

A special thanks to Moira and Jon and Lynn, and anyone behind the scenes then, for helping get the whole thing started. They didn't just talk about it. Thanks for letting me play.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

That's Amazing ... that this site been around for six years and I found this site by accident a couple years ago doing some research on Rita Hayworth and stumbled on an old Thread that was started by Miss Retro that haven't been here for a while and that's how I became a member and being a lover of all films ranging from Musicals to Film Noir ... and Mystery and Suspense to Comedies and so forth ... I find this site very interesting and informative.

Congrats to Everyone here that contributed mightily to our humble abode.

Six Years ... Wow!
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Congratulations to the founders of this friendly side-street on the information superhighway! 8)
We appreciate all you've done. :D
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

This is the most entertaining website I go to. If I miss a day, it's just...not right! A special thanks to the administrators. Your hard work provides fun for us all.
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

Wow, how time flies! Can't believe it's been 6 years. I lurk a lot more than I post, but I love this site.

Thanks to all!

Sandy K
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

as Marco said on FB, 'they grow up so fast'. :lol: I can't seem to start my day without you, 'you're getting to be a habit with me....'

thanks to Moira, Chris and Lynn for the patience and forbearing to see us through our tussles and heartaches and joys and triumphs!

This IS home.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

I feel so lucky to be a part of this sweet place and so grateful to everyone who contributes.

We've had six years full of happy days. Thanks to Moira, Jon, Chris and Lynn for initial the roar of the engines and the constant fuel, and all the original moderators.

A place I love to visit, like calling on a kind, smiling neighbor on a sunny day who invites me in, leads me to a cozy armchair, and hands me a tumbler full of something to quench my thirst and a plateful of goodies to stave off the hunger.

Prescious.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

15 years ago I had NEVER been on the internet. Now I look forward to it. This pleasant, respectful site is my favorite stop!
feaito

Post by feaito »

What more can I add, my favorite film forum and the only one I participate in...Happy anniversary wonderful community!
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Ten years where have they gone?

Where to begin as the memories wash over me!

A little over ten years ago, the TCM message boards was the place to be for in-fighting, cat-calling and trolling. As the various factions reached fever pitch, some of us thought it likely that TCM would shut the boards down rather than have to deal with constant bickering.

Moira came to our rescue and started a Yahoo Group-anyone remember those-and we reached out to a number of friends on the TCM message boards letting them know a safe harbor was available to talk about the channel and the movies we all love.

But, as I recall, the Yahoo Group board had its drawbacks and many found it hard to follow conversations.

Jon Parker, bless his soul, came to the rescue. He created the first SSO message board site as part of his existing website and secured the domain name for us.

In those early years, he was our go-to tech support guy.

We created our "Guest Star/Author" visits and I think the first person we had that in that capacity was the late Robert Brichard, who had just published a book on Cecil DeMille.

We were off to the races! Jon Parker reached out to Kevin Brownlow to be one our guest stars. And Brownlow said "yes"!

Which flabbergasted all of us!

In those early years, our admins and mods were Moira, Chris, Kyle (still miss you madly, Chief) and me.

We added Cass Wright (Klondike) and then Christy and David.

Marco created our on-line social media presence (Facebook) and we are fortunate that he enjoys doing that because he is terrific at it!

Many guests followed. Jon Parker took ill and we were fortunate-given that none of us were that tech savvy-that Jeff Lommel came along and has become our go-to tech support guy.

We've had some ups and downs, at one time an unpredictable hosting site so we never knew if the site would be up or go down unexpectedly but through it all, our loyal followers have always been there.

None of this would have been possible without Moira leading the charge.

A thousand thanks to all who have contributed and supported the SSO, long may she reign!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Double post
Lynn in Lake Balboa

Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Happy anniversary movie buffs, and thanks to all who have made the Oasis last.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I couldn't say it any better than Lynn! Thanks to our members, guests and visitors who have made the last decade fly by.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks