Black Caesar (1973)

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Mr. Arkadin

Black Caesar (1973)

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I know everyone will be watching Straight Jacket tonight, but don't forget this Blaxploitation classic. Although the genre was in full swing at this point, many Blaxploitation films were more about style than substance. Black Caesar is much different in that regard. It's actually one of the few films that has depth and complexity of characters.

When young Tommy is beaten by a white cop on the take, he vows never to be helpless again. After years in jail he emerges a man with ideals. He executes a hit on a white man the Italian mob wants dead. His price--one block of Harlem to work as his own territory. Empowered by violence, Tommy uses all means at his disposal in his climb to the top. He reunites with his childhood friend (now a lawyer) to make changes in the ghetto. Although he is originally concerned about his community ("we want to see that black people get a fair shake"), it doesn't take long for the taste of power to parch his thirst.

While so many films (Shaft, Superfly, Coffy) that had the unrealistic "stick it to THE MAN" attitude, BC deals with power, corruption, and the inescapability of ghetto life within the black community. It also deals with the attitudes of many African Americans toward leadership that steps squarely on their own throats for personal or political gain. Without his community to protect him, Tommy can be easily divided and conquered by his enemies.

The score, sung by James Brown, is taut and muscular like the film. It also has one of the most beautiful, painful ballads (My Mother's Gone) that is deeply affecting when viewed in the film.

There's a lot of violence here. An ear cutting incident for example, anticipates Reservior Dogs (1992). Tarintino has spoken highly of this film and how it has influenced his work. It also has one of the most racist scripts you can imagine, including a guy smearing shoe polish on a corrupt cop's face (black-facing him) and forcing him to sing "Mammy" with a gun to his head. The language is full of epithets that could never be said today. However, this is a glaring unwashed look at race relations of the early seventies when many of these words were casual conversation.

TCM should be applauded for daring to show this film. Black Caesar is a work of pure rage, but also has a unique moral slant that sets it apart from it's contemporaries. Fred "The Hammer" Williamson does a great job here and BC never lets up or lets us off the hook. While many films of this genre sought to entertain, Black Caesar informs--often as a slap in our face, but as The Hammer says: "Who else am I gonna do it to?"
Last edited by Mr. Arkadin on October 13th, 2007, 5:24 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Great "play-by-play" on this film, Mr. Arkadin. Your comments crystallized its interpretation for me.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

I love that movie. One of the best of the genre.
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Mr. Ark - Once again you have proven yourself to be one of this site's best, most insightful writers. It had been many years since I last saw BLACK CAESAR and, on the strength of your recommendation, re-watched it last night. Your post brilliantly illustrated the ways in which the film reaches down deeper than most in this hit-or-miss genre to deliver a message that resonates with thematic power and visual instensity. Thanks again for a rewarding and well-timed post!
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Jon, Sue Sue, Dewey,

Thank your for the kind words. I waited till the last minute and just had to throw something down so I'll probably edit it 50 more times (yes I'm a perfectionist even at a message board :wink: ), but if it encouraged anyone to watch, that's the most important thing.

I was somewhat hesitant to write about this film because I know there are people that would just see some of the scenes and language and think it was totally rascist or some other silly thing (in fact there is one poster at TCM saying it's trash right now). I have studied this genre and black history for years and while such a comment would not bother me (I know what I believe) no one wants to be misunderstood or judged as something they are not.

There is some really interesting hand held camera work here and some great shots that aren't normally seen in a cheaper film like this. My only wish is they would have used a darker shade of blood than Fire Engine Red. :P

I think all great films (and art in general) teach us something about life. Black Caesar is one of those types of films that shows us a slice of life that while real, is largely unseen and definitely unembraced by many in our country.

What is interesting about this film is unlike Superfly or other such pictures we see the good and bad in Tommy. The film shows us the good he wants to do, but does not glorify the results of his aims. It also shows the destuctive nature of his climb. His life is made better, but at the misery of his own brothers and sisters who he controls for the whites. In the end he finds himself back at his beginnings. He is killed by young hoods like himself who will replace him and fall yet again. We learn that the cycle of the ghetto is relentless and few ever escape it's grasp.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

What you've said about "the cycle" is, unfortunately, true, but by looking at our culture and reviewing the difficulties of transitioning to another life currently or by challenging historical perspective through film, art, documented history, and government perpetuation of the cycle of poverty or social dysfunction, we, as a society who care about our citizens, must remember the past and use it as a conduit for change in the future.

I believe that is precisely what you did, Mr. Arkadin.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

There's a book lurking inside you, Mr. Ark.