To Dream of Dogs

Chit-chat, current events
CineMaven

Re: To Dream of Dogs

Post by CineMaven »

[u][color=#4040BF]knitwit45[/color][/u] wrote:T, I'm so sorry to read about this loss. No matter how much we think we are prepared, we never are. I am so glad you have all these great memories of your time spent together. The ache will dull a bit, but the memories will always shine brightly. RIP, Miss Abby.
Thank you sooo much for your thoughts. You're right Nancy....never ever prerpared. Thank you.

...Listen, do me a favor...a personal favor. Please give your little Shug an extra hug today.
[u][color=#0040BF]RedRiver[/color][/u] wrote:That's a promise.
:) :(
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
rohanaka

Post by rohanaka »

Miss T.. I already sent you my condolences.. but will say again, how sad it was to hear of your sweet Abby. I know that even though you only got to see her once in a while, you will miss her a lot.. but will have some very dear memories to cherish, for sure.

PS: Jackie..
JackFavell wrote:I am pretty sure that Lily knows what I am saying... even when it's not simple commands like "No" or "Drop it". I know it sounds crazy but she has responded to very complex sentences before, as if she understands the underlying concept. I guess it could be body language or other non verbal cues that she is picking up on, but it always cracks us up when we ask a question to the general crowd and Lily barks a response at us. It's actually a pretty frequent occurrence.
It does not sound crazy. I swear Amos (the cocker spaniel) knows exactly what we are saying sometimes. Of course a lot of it is body language.. and perhaps routine. But still. He really does seem to respond to (as you say) more complex statements sometimes. (though I can never be sure. It might just be the excitement of all that attention he is getting at the time, but he will wag his tail from all the way across the room if he THINKS you are talking to him.. ha. So who knows what he really understands?)

And of course.. like most dogs, he does do better with some certain (simple) key phrases. He could be dead to the world, all sprawled out on the kitchen floor and all I have to do is look into the kitchen from my spot on the couch (in the next room) and just barely whisper the word "outside" and up he jumps.. rarin' to go. ha. And he knows each one of us by our roles that we fill in the family. ha. He has NO idea what our names actually are but he knows who we are by the names we have given ourselves on his behalf. ha. (the QT is "The Man", the kidling is "the girl" and.. ha.. I am either known to him as "she" or "the woman who gives you food". (no kidding.. that is what the QT calls me when he wants Amos to come to me.. and the dog will absolutely come over to me, everytime. :D

And if the QT (or the kidling) and the dog are out in the back yard, I might not know what end of the yard to look for them (because it is big yard, and you can't see hardly any of it from our deck, it is closed off) So if I go out on the deck say "Find the man" or "Go get the girl" then whichever one I tell him I want, he'll lead me right to them, everytime.

Is it because A) he knows they are out there in the yard.. and so he just thinks we should all be together so he puts us that way??? Or B) he KNOWS I want him to find them for me, so he leads me to them??

The world may never know.. ha. But hey.. at least if I look at is a B) I get to brag on him and make him SOUND smart. ha. :P

Such a silly dog. Or IS he ?????????????????? :lol:
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I swear, Sweet Amos and Lily are related! Well, actually I guess they are, since they share their breed. But Lily will go and find "daddy" or "Alice" depending on who you ask for.

But then sometimes she'll just lick herself instead. First things first, after all.

:D

I'm known as "mommy". Not too original, I know. I like your nicknames for each other... that's too funny! Right now, Alice is having a sleepover, and Lily is in total heaven, because we get out the blow up mattress and pump it full of air...then the girls pull out all the blankets in the house, and make a big pile of them and curl up. For Lily it's like a big nest, and she usually stakes out a place right in the middle of the other 'puppies'... which I am sure is how she thinks of Alice and all her friends. The girls love it, and it's the only time Lily doesn't come upstairs to sleep. And then I lay there, because I can't sleep when she's not there. :D :roll:
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[color=#0000BF][u]rohanaka[/u][/color] wrote:Miss T.. I already sent you my condolences.. but will say again, how sad it was to hear of your sweet Abby. I know that even though you only got to see her once in a while, you will miss her a lot.. but will have some very dear memories to cherish, for sure.
Yes. Yes you did Ro. And thank you again for that.

As for Amos understanding or not...you know, I'm going with he DOES understand. He has to. Fully. Totally. They all have to: Shug, Lily, Lara, Felix, dear Nikki and now little Massimo. They're smarter than us. :wink:
[color=#0000BF][u]JacKFavell[/u][/color] wrote:Right now, Alice is having a sleepover, and Lily is in total heaven, because we get out the blow up mattress and pump it full of air...then the girls pull out all the blankets in the house, and make a big pile of them and curl up. For Lily it's like a big nest, and she usually stakes out a place right in the middle of the other 'puppies'... which I am sure is how she thinks of Alice and all her friends. The girls love it, and it's the only time Lily doesn't come upstairs to sleep. And then I lay there, because I can't sleep when she's not there.
Hahaha! Lily's no fool. She's one of the girls. Sounds like fun. Get in there Lil.

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That mattress is huge! And Lily is an alpha dog. I think she's like "OK, pups, come on and sleep on MY bed ....."
rohanaka

Post by rohanaka »

Miss T.. ha.. I bet you are right.. they ARE smarter. ha. (they know all they have to do is look cute and give us "those eyes" and we are at the mercy. Ha.

Jackie.. Maybe Amos and Lily are long lost cousins.. ha. (just like we are long lost sisters, I am sure) And that sounds like SOME fun girls night in. I bet Lily is holding court in style. ha. (poor Andrew.. all those gals. I bet he feels like the odd man out for sure) :D
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

He went to bed. :D

Lily is definitely smarter than we are, or at least more stubborn. We try to make her sit in front of the door to put her leash on, but we've had her now for 10 months and she still only sits after much discussion and prodding. Unless we have a treat. I think she's got us trained.

She also has these expressions that are hilarious! If I don't take her for a big long walk during the day, she gives me this under the brows look. The only thing I can compare it to is Spencer Tracy looking gruff. Then there are other times where she pulls the "i'm so cute" and when you walk over to her she immediately rolled upside down knowing full well that you can't resist giving her tummy a rubdown.
rohanaka

Post by rohanaka »

Ha.. I a trying to imagine her cute furry face looking "gruff". She sounds like she knows JUST what to do to get what she wants. ha. (that a girl, Lily!)

Amos is just a playful wretch, ha. He can't HELP himself. He tries to obey.. he TRIES to sit still.. or lie down. But if he even THINKS you are watching him, or you want him to do something he'd rather not do.. that little "stub" of a tail of his will start wagging.. and then get faster... until his whole back end is in a frenzy. At that point, I think if you tried to hold him still, his rear end would still vibrate. ha. (we did not bob his tail.. the breeder we bought him from had already done it.. but I swear if he had NOT had it bobbed.. that thing would beat us all to death if it were full length, ha)

When he is feeling "pitiful" he'll give you this down in the dumps look.. which is REALLY pitiful when his fur gets longer. Right now he just got a trim, so its not too bad.. but during the heavy winter, we keep his fur longer for him.. and it grows long on top of his head too.. and will even hang down in front of his eyes if we let it get too long.. to the point he looks just TOTALLY pathetic.. if he had his head on his paws.. and is looking up at you with those "wistful" eyes.. ha. You can't SEE the wistful eyes.. but you know they are there.. SOMEWHERE under all that hair.
The Ingenue

Post by The Ingenue »

Oh, Theresa, I'm so sorry! The lot that I thought would be mine this week has fallen to you.

My Liv is sixteen, and fragile. She had to go to the vet on Monday, and every time she does, I'm afraid she won't come back. She did. She came back. We have a little more time together, this side of Heaven. But to read about Abby, I...

Can I be any help to you? How? Tell me, please, what I can do.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

give your little Shug an extra hug today. An extra doggie treat today

Done. Unfortunately, I attempted to do both things at the same time. With food in the picture, there was little interest in hugging. That came later!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

CarrieLiz wrote:Oh, Theresa, I'm so sorry! The lot that I thought would be mine this week has fallen to you.My Liv is sixteen, and fragile. She had to go to the vet on Monday, and every time she does, I'm afraid she won't come back. She did. She came back. We have a little more time together, this side of Heaven. But to read about Abby, I...Can I be any help to you? How? Tell me, please, what I can do.
Thank you Carrie. Thank you so much. The words, everyone's kind thoughts are helpful. Thanxx!! Dave has no one to come home to. Ugh!!! I'm hoping he's getting the sympathies on his end. Today was his final goodbye.
RedRiver wrote:Done. Unfortunately, I attempted to do both things at the same time. With food in the picture, there was little interest in hugging. That came later!
Sequence Big Red. In sequence. Glad you got the hugging in later! You're funny.

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Me: Sugar, stop that! Sugar, stop this! Behave. You are such a nuisance.
Sugar: I love you so much!

How do you argue with that logic?
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[youtube][/youtube]

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I loved this. But gee, why do dogs sound dumb and cats sound smart when we imagine how they might sound if they could talk?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
The Ingenue

Post by The Ingenue »

With apologies:

"Cats rule and dogs drool!"