Shorts now on TCM online schedule

Discussion of programming on TCM.
markfp

Shorts now on TCM online schedule

Post by markfp »

Has anyone else noticed that TCM has now started listing shorts on the daily online schedule along with the exact start time. How many years have we be asking for this? TCM may be a little slow sometimes, but they deserve a big thanks for listening to us.

Of course, it appears that they still only add the shorts a few days before they run, so if you look too far out you won't find them, but that's ok with me. Needless to say NOW PLAYING goes to press too early to include them it.

I guess I'm going to make it a point to check the schedule every day now.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Over at TCM, MGMWBRKO had announced that the shorts would now be on the schedule. (They are also listed on my Comcast schedule.) He did point out they would not be more than about 5 days out as they only decide about a week ahead.

While I'm not much of a "Shorts" fan beyond the Roach comedies everyone seems thrilled they can now catch what they want.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Hey all,

Gotta love "The Passing Parade" and the "Pete Smith Specialties." Lots of them are Academy Award nominees and winners. The shorts are now listed onscreen with Mediacom too...

As always,

Hollis
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Did anyone see the Vitaphone shorts after The Jazz Singer last night? I really enjoyed them.

Highlights were seeing a young and athletic Eddie Foy, Jr. performing with five of his siblings; the very interesting deadpan song/dance/comedy duo Shaw & Lee, the "Beau Brummels" (they were like two Pat Paulsons), "The Cowboy and the Lady," which was a sort of precursor to Spike Jones and his band, and the absolutely wonderful Miss Trixie Friganza. She was a hoot and a half. I want more of her.
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

Did anyone see the Vitaphone shorts after The Jazz Singer last night? I really enjoyed them.
I loved, loved, LOVED these! The Foy's sure were a talented bunch, and Eddie Jr.'s antics were a highlight - much easier to watch him do this schtick when he is young. But weren't they addressing eash other by name? Maybe I heard wrong, but I thought they called him Roger? And wow, some Art Deco set dressing in the background.
interesting deadpan song/dance/comedy duo Shaw & Lee, the "Beau Brummels" (they were like two Pat Paulsons)
Ha,ha - Pat Paulson - I haven't heard that name in a while! Yeah, these guy's were great - I was laughing my head off! Great timing.
Miss Trixie Friganza. She was a hoot and a half. I want more of her.

Me too! What a gal! She had me on the floor even before she picked up that string bass!

These were the best Vitaphone shorts I've seen (along with Gus and his singing duck) and would be worth the price of the Jazz Singer set just to obtain these.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Jezebel38 wrote:
I loved, loved, LOVED these! The Foy's sure were a talented bunch, and Eddie Jr.'s antics were a highlight - much easier to watch him do this schtick when he is young. But weren't they addressing eash other by name? Maybe I heard wrong, but I thought they called him Roger? And wow, some Art Deco set dressing in the background.
interesting deadpan song/dance/comedy duo Shaw & Lee, the "Beau Brummels" (they were like two Pat Paulsons)
Ha,ha - Pat Paulson - I haven't heard that name in a while! Yeah, these guy's were great - I was laughing my head off! Great timing.
Miss Trixie Friganza. She was a hoot and a half. I want more of her.

Me too! What a gal! She had me on the floor even before she picked up that string bass!

These were the best Vitaphone shorts I've seen (along with Gus and his singing duck) and would be worth the price of the Jazz Singer set just to obtain these.
I didn't catch all the names of the Foys - but I think Irving was the MC, Richard - I think it was Richard - played the guitar. Eddie Jr. was the one with the fake teeth, no? The girls looked rather heavy/fleshy, but they certainly danced with grace. They were Mary and something else.

Where was the seventh little Foy? He was Bryan -- was he the one who was the director in the Georgie Price short? That one was a bit much for me -- Price was a bargain-basement Jolson, with a side order of George Jessel, and came on like a fire engine. Apparently he was a big deal in vaudeville, but I found him rather off-putting.

Give me La Friganza any day! IMBd has a listing for her of a short called "How to Undress for Your Husband." That must be a sight to see.

What did you think of the last short - the nightclub/courtroom scene with William Demarest as an attorney? Rather poorly executed, I thought, but loved those characteristic pratfalls Demarest took at the end.

There's so much gold to be seen in these shorts, isn't there?
TalkieTime

Post by TalkieTime »

Today, and over the next several days, there are a number of deviations from the published Now Playing schedules. This, and the omission of interstitial shorts from the online schedule, has prompted me to program my time-shifting devices to record all 1930s and 1940s movies, including those I have recorded in the past, in the event that "phantom shorts" may be shown.