Noir Films

ChiO

Re: Noir Films

Post by ChiO »

And probably with a budget less than the cost of printing the one-sheets of those two movies.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

FRIGHT is the title of my favorite Woolrich book, though knowing the culture, it has probably been published under different titles. Not the same story as you've described though, Chio. That does sound good!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

A lighthearted story about dismemberment? You can't have too many of those!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I love Crime By Night, kingrat, if only because it's Jerome Cowan's only starring role. It's enjoyable, and has some pretty dark stuff going on, though you'd never know it from the direction, as you say. Cowan should have had a series. I actually like Jane Wyman better in her early dizzy blonde/wisecracking mode. Cowan is one of a handful of actors who can go from warm and touching to sleazy and noirish in mere seconds! He can be hilarious or awful. I don't know, I just like his rueful personality, sense of humor and always dapper looks. He always gives exactly what's required, and adds a little something, effortlessly. Who else could go from The Maltese Falcon to Miracle on 34th Street? I literally wait for him to show up in some movies, like The Night Has a Thousand Eyes (he's part of a mindreading act with terrifying results) or his final scene in Mr. Skeffington where he sidesteps getting back together with an ugly Bette Davis so gracefully.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I think Wyman was paired with every actor in Hollywood in hopes of starting a series, lol.
clore

Post by clore »

Did anybody watch Riffraff yesterday - or at any other time?

Had RKO made this one with Robert Mitchum or Dick Powell in the lead, it would probably be more highly regarded. But an obviously aging Pat O'Brien doesn't exactly do the film any harm, and Anne Jeffreys is there to help him out in the climatic fight scene.

George Diskant's cinematography deserves a special mention, he and former cinematographer Ted Tetzlaff who directed make a great team.

Riffraff is very interesting in its following a pattern that was started by a film that aired in three different version on the previous night. Just as in The Maltese Falcon, O'Brien's character (Dan Hammer - and coincidentally, Mike Hammer made his literary debut the same year) is approached by three different parties seeking or knowing of a valuable item, and he has to juggle them all while staying above suspicion for a murder.

Granted, this is a staple in such things, but the fun here is in how well the cliches are served up and just how well this modest programmer stacks up against its more well-known brethren.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I think you've hit it, King Rat. If you don't expect a serious, thoughtful crime story, "Satan" is entertaining. Good cast, light tone. If you DO expect a solid detective story, you might be disappointed.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Is that Joyce Compton kingrat? Man, she's been showing up lately everywhere. I've seen her on TCM at least 4 times this week. Now she's at the SSO! I'll have to check this movie out, it sounds like it starts out to be a sort of Catch Me If You Can or The Great Imposter-type plot, but veers away? I think I saw it somewhere on Netflix maybe.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

This sounds deliciously cheezy!
Robert Regan

Post by Robert Regan »

I heartily recommend to all an excellent new book called What Is Film Noir? by William Park. It discusses succinctly and clearly what is and what isn't noir and if it is a genre, a style, or a period. The text is, happily, brief, 130 pages followed by annotated lists of films. The book is very pricey, but my library got it for me on an inter-library loan. The Ebook version is much cheaper.

While recommending books, I am very fond of The Real Joyce Compton, written by her with Michael Ankerich. It is highly informative and as charming as her memorable screen appearances, with lots of pictures and what just might be a complete filmography of her work from 1925 to 1957.