cinemalover: Confessions of a Video Junkie

Chit-chat, current events
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

SueSue,
Welcome to my world. My choices depend a lot on whether the entire family is watching, just Karie and I are watching, or if.... heaven help us, I have the screen to myself. That's when the oddball exploitation and foreign films come out because no one cares to watch them with me.

Thanks for the compliment, I'm glad you enjoy, feel free to stop by anytime and sit a spell!
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Judith,
I'm not familiar Francesca or Bruno, perhaps I should be. I'm not sure if this jewel was ever highlighted on Mystery Science Theater, during its heyday I didn't receive the channel that it was on so I've only seen a dozen or so of them. This film would certainly qualify though.

Yes, all the Dolls are fashionably perky and would have been right at home on a runway or gyrating with pom-poms. It was just "bad" enough that I want to track down some more of Mikels' films. One of the Dolls was played by Tura Satana, who was a star in the Russ Meyer film Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill! which was shown on TCM earlier this year. This should also give you an idea of her dimensions since Meyer had a definite preference for certain body parts.
Last edited by cinemalover on October 19th, 2007, 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

cinemalover

Hour of the Gun Review #282

Post by cinemalover »

Growing up in the '60's James Garner was one of my absolute favorite actors. From the Great Escape to Grand Prix and several of my favorite westerns he was the man. I just bought a boxed set that has four of his western films and here's the first....

Date watched: 10/17/2007
Title: Hour of the Gun Made: 1967
Genre: Western Studio: MGM
Format: DVD Extras :Anamorphic WS/FS
Number of times viewed: 3

Director--John Sturges

Stars:
James Garner--Wyatt Earp
Jason Robards--"Doc" Holliday
Robert Ryan--Ike Clanton
Albert Salmi--Prosecuting Attorney Octavius Roy
Charles Aidman--Defense Attorney Horace Sullivan
William Schallert--Judge Herman Spicer
Michael Tolan--City Marshal Spence
William Windom--Texas Jack Vermillion
Lonny Chapman--Turkey Creek Johnson
Bill Fletcher--County Sheriff Jimmy Bryan
Karl Swenson--Dr. Charles Goodfellow
Sam Melville--Morgan Earp
Frank Converse--Marshal Virgil Earp

Taglines:
He lived through the gunfight at the O.K. Corral...that may have been a mistake!

In Tombstone, justice is settled with a gun!

Wyatt Earp--hero with a badge or cold-blooded killer?

In 1957 Director John Sturges made Gunfight at the O.K. Corral. Ten years later he picks up that story with a new cast and explores the aftermath of that legendary duel.

The titles on the screen tell us that this is Tombstone, Territory of Arizona, October 26, 1881. We see City Marshal Wyatt Earp (Garner), his brothers Morgan (Melville) and Virgil (Converse) along with Doc Holliday (Robards) walking down the street toward a corral where a group of men await them. That group is all men affiliated with the Clanton family who are mortal enemies of the Earps. Guns flash, bodies drop. Clanton’s side loses as three of their men are dead. Wyatt and Doc are untouched while Virgil and Morgan have minor wounds. Ike Clanton, who is the straw who stirs this feud, conveniently ducked into a nearby store just before the bullets started flying. He was so convinced that his hired killers could beat the Earp clan that he is devastated by the loss.

Another big issue at stake is who has authority over who, we have sheriffs, marshals, territorial authorities and city authorities and everyone is trying to one-up the other. After the shooting concludes County Sheriff Jimmy Bryan (Fletcher), who is on Clanton's payroll, approaches Wyatt and Doc with a couple of his deputies.
Sheriff Bryan, "You're under arrest!"
Wyatt, "For what?"
Sheriff, "Murder!"
Wyatt (calmly), "Not today, tomorrow, or ever. You don't have jurisdiction in the city of Tombstone. If you did, you couldn't make it stick."
Deputy Stillwell , "We got enough men behind us (pointing to a group of Clanton supporters) to make it stick."
Doc, "Stillwell, if you so much as turn your head toward those men, you'll be laying in the horse manure with your friends!" (Referring to Clanton's fallen men in the corral). Robards as the alcoholic Doc gets most of the best lines in the film.

This normally climactic gunfight is instead just the launching point for the struggle between the Clantons and the Earps. Ike Clanton has made it clear that he won't rest while an Earp still breathes. Ike begins his revenge by pulling strings to get Doc and the Earp charged with murder. The dead bodies of the Clanton boys are paraded in a funeral procession past Wyatt's City Marshal's office with signs accusing murder.

We immediately jump to the trial but find that the judge rules that the shootings occurred within the boundaries of the marshal doing his job and all charges are dropped. Predictably, Ike doesn't handle defeat well. Ike sends a group of his boys to murder Virgil while he is performing his nightly rounds as the Assistant Marshal. They gun him down, he's alive but will be crippled for life. There was only one witness who saw the group that pulled the trigger, but he is afraid of Clanton's wrath. Wyatt promises him that he will never have to testify if he'll just tell Wyatt who is responsible. Armed with that info Wyatt rounds up the suspects and brings them to trial. Without the eye witness they are acquitted. Up to this point marshal Wyatt Earp has been a stout defender of the law as written. The winds begin to blow a new direction.

The next stage in this war are the city elections where Ike's men are looking to oust the Earps from the office that shields them from all of Ike's vengeance. As Morgan, Doc and Wyatt are playing pool awaiting the election results they are ambushed and Morgan is shot in the back.
Morgan manages to whisper to Wyatt before he passes.
Doc, "What'd he say?"
Wyatt, "When we were kids, we used to argue about when you were dyin', whether your whole life flashed in front of you or not. He said, "It ain't so, Wyatt!""

Wyatt was already teetering on the slippery slope into morale decay, this just gave him that last little nudge. The two factions continue on their paths toward inevitable destruction, from which only one will walk away. There are those that try to persuade Wyatt to turn the other cheek and move his remaining family to California. The only cheek Wyatt is interested in tuning is Ike's butt-cheek as he's kicking it down the street.

The elections brought Ike's men into power and left Wyatt and company without a title. They abandon Tombstone because it is just a deathtrap for them now. Ike sends his flunkies out to track down and kill Wyatt’s group which has been augmented with the audition of Doc's "friends", Texas Jack Vermillion (Windom) and Turkey Creek Johnson (Chapman). Wyatt sends his group ahead to draw off Ike's pursuing posse. Wyatt has plans of his own. He still has warrants for the four gunmen who shot his brothers and he plans on hunting them down.

Wyatt finds his targets and goads them into gunplay so that he can kill them. Just after he kills the last one Doc and their gang arrive. Wyatt dismisses them to be on their way, what fight is left is left to him and he doesn't want to place them in any more danger for his sake. Everyone rides off except Doc. Once again Doc gets the best lines as he gives Wyatt a lecture:
"God...when I think back....five minutes after we left the O.K. Corral I wanted to say, get Clanton, Wyatt. Get him before he gets you, but I didn't. You don't....speak that way to Wyatt Earp. You got too much respect for him. Then Virgil got it...and then Morgan...and I watched you keep your word to that waiter back in Tombstaone. You thought it was your honor that stopped you from making him testify, but it wasn't. You couldn't get a conviction in a Federal Court or a local one. And you never intended to try! You just didn't want to be cheated out of this! (Pointing to his most recent victim) And those aren't warrants you got there. Those are hunting licenses….Stillwell, Spence….that was a pretty good shot you made at Brocius! God! That's when I hooked it all together, and now Warshaw, and you're gonna get Clanton. You're gonna kill Clanton just like I would and you don't need a warrant for that. So go on, go on and have one (offering his flask). If you're going to kill like me, you might as well drink like me!"

The legend has fallen and his biggest supporters, who have stood by him knowing he was their morale compass, are starting to peel away in revulsion. Sure, THEY would have handled the situation like that, but they expect better from the great lawman, Wyatt Earp. Now Wyatt must face his greatest enemy, who has resources well beyond Wyatt's means, and Wyatt may not even have the support of his friends for the final showdown.

A wonderful cast. Robert Ryan is just an incredible villain whose very skin seems to ooze cruelty. Robards has the best part as the drunk Doc, who is never too inebriated to shoot off a verbal barb. Garner is the solid professional who slowly transforms from a calm, cool and collected law enforcer to a cold, calculating killing machine without going overboard. Salmi, Windom, Schallert and Fletcher really bring life to their support roles and make this feel like more than a three star show.

8* (out of 10) So many movies have been made that centerd around the historical gunfight at the O.K. Corral, it was nice to see one that used that as the beginning of the story rather than the end.
Last edited by cinemalover on May 16th, 2008, 5:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Chris

melwalton

Garner

Post by melwalton »

Hi, Cinema lover
Watched 'Mr. Budwing' a few times. Liked it very much, Only reference I've come across criticized it severely (not on this site) because it was different from the book, I've not been able to get any info' about the book, I thought, You being a James Garner fan, might know something about it, I thought the movie very good. Have you seen it?
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

melwalton,
First and foremost welcome to this site. I hope you are enjoying it and I look forward to you sharing your film appreciation with us.

In terms of Mister Buddwing 1966, it has been many, many years since I last saw the film. I know that Garner plays a man who has lost his memory and is fearful that he may be a killer that is stalking the city. I don't remember being entirely impressed with it, nor disappointed. I'm sorry my memory is not better. If I run across it I need to watch it again to refresh myself.
Chris

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Chris:

Thanks for your review of "Hour of The Gun." While I've never seen it it hasn't always been for lack of trying. I thought it interesting, with "Gunfight At The OK Corral" being a favorite western of mine, how a followup with the same director would be. It's in my queue so knowing you liked adds to the anticipation.

Like you I always liked Garner. Whether he was having fun in "Support Your Local Sheriff" or avoiding fights as Jim Rockford, kissing Julie Andrews or playing a grandfather he has been great fun to watch.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Chris,
I hope you enjoy it when you get to see it. I really enjoyed it, though I have seen some reviewers who were much less generous than I. Funny you should mention Support Your Local Sheriff, it is also included in this James Garner set and I watched it last night. It may be a day or two before I get around to writing about it but it is one of my favorites. Garner is the ultimate cool in a sea of buffoonery!
Chris

jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I've always "dug" Frank Converse. He's done a lot of TV (though not much lately), and a few movies. I've often wondered why he didn't get farther than he did.

Is there anyone out there who remembers his 1960s summer replacement-type show called Coronet Blue? That was a really good one, and deserved better than a few month's airing in the summer. But such are the vagaries of show biz.
melwalton

Mr, Budwing

Post by melwalton »

Chris, Thanks for the very nice welcome. I do like this site better than any yet.
RE: "Mr, Budwing' It was somewhat disjointed, I guess. I liked the cast and the fact that it was unpredictable kept me interested. I've been curious since reading a review that was highly critical and wondered about the original story and how much different it was.
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

melwalton,
Thank you for reminding me about a movie in Garner's filmography that I had almost completely forgotten about. He made so many films in that period that it's tough to track them all. He had his share of dogs, but he is almost always worth watching.

Keep those opinions coming. We're a friendly lot around here and don't tend to jump on people with opposing opinions. So don't be shy, even when you don't agree with something. Any time you have a differing opinion on one of the films I write about I'd love to hear it.
Have a good weekend and happy posting!
Chris

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Hi Chris:

Hopefully you'll offer your impressions of Support Your Local Sheriff soon, because it's one of those movies that you have to watch twice, because you're often laughing so hard that you miss follow-up dialog. I will look forward to your review. Although I think we have discussed it previously.

As for Mr. Buddwing, that, to me is a perfect example of searching for a needle in a haystack. I found it intriguing, and addictive. I couldn't leave in fear of missing something. So many leads that lead to dead ends. I too, forgot whether it was good or bad until I saw it a couple of years ago when TCM honored Jim Garner for his birthday, and introduced his Private Screenings with RO. They went through quite a roster of his movies on that day, including Buddwing, Darby's Rangers, and The Americanization of Emily. My VCR was going wild that day, and I have two 8 hour videos of all Jim Garner movies, which hopefully someday I can transfer to DVD if I ever get the equipment to do so.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

re: Mr. Buddwing i've seen it I guess it was last summer or spring on TCM (then again I could be way off. Time plays tricks with me) I thought it was an interesting movie to say the least. The best parts of the movie to me are when he's in total amnesia and trying to figure out who he is and what he does etc etc. The scene where he meets Angela Lansbury (in a small but very different role for her) is probably the best scene in the movie. It's just a little too disjointed and kinda runs out of steam by the end but it held enough of my interest to watch the whole thing.

I'd say it's a worthwhile film to check out just for the acting alone.
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Hi Anne,
Yes, we have discussed Support Your Local Sheriff previously. It is an amazingly amusing film that I appreciate just as much now as I did the first time I saw it as a child. My weekends have been so crazy lately that I haven't had a chance to do much writing until Monday hits. Last night my daughter had a friend sleep-over (which means we had 5 bodies all watching the same movie last night!) and today Jeremy's got a soccer game in the rain plus all the normal errands that the weekend brings. But I'll get to it. (Plus I've got to write up The Nightmare Before Christmas, which is what we all watched last night to get in the Halloween mood!. That's a tough film to describe!).
Have a great weekend.
Chris

cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

SPTO (that doesn't roll off the tongue very easily, perhaps I should just call you Bogie after your avatar!),

Thanks for you memories of Mister Buddwing. You're always very good about summing up your feelings on the movies you watch. When will we see the rebirth on this site of your movie thread?
Chris

Bogie

Post by Bogie »

cinemalover wrote:SPTO (that doesn't roll off the tongue very easily, perhaps I should just call you Bogie after your avatar!),

Thanks for you memories of Mister Buddwing. You're always very good about summing up your feelings on the movies you watch. When will we see the rebirth on this site of your movie thread?
Yep it's best to just call me Bogie since my name is also Chris. It'd cause a lot of confusion :)

The problem with me and my movie thread is that i'm terrible at describing the movie. I either talk too much about the minutiae or I don't tell enough. I think i'll go back to just relying on the IMDB synopses and filling any blanks. Another problem is that with my er uh...grey market dish I no longer can tape movies so I don't exactly see as much as I used to.

You know what tho? I'm gonna start my thread here again next time I see a movie :)