Ben Johnson

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
pvitari

Re: Ben Johnson

Post by pvitari »

Fourth and final batch.

In this shot you can clearly see a stunt double standing in for Ben, but it seems to be Ben and James Arness doing the fight in all the other shots. Near the end of the fight, Matt punches Crown so hard he goes flying UP a few stairs, and then falls over the railing onto the floor. You can see Ben making sure his hand is underneath his head so it (his head) is protected when it hits the floor.

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

great caps from that wonderful "gunsmoke" episode - what a dreadful man he played!
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

A clipping from an unknown magazine, probably from 1951 since it mentions Fort Defiance.

Of course the statement in this clipping that John Ford met Ben at a California Wild West show is pure nonsense. Where did they dig these stories up from? They met on the set of Fort Apache, where Ben worked as a stuntman and riding double for the film's stars.
tinker

Just a flicker of an idea can lead to....

Post by tinker »

As some of you know I am doing a thesis (disertation) on learning in forums such as this. I was reading the whole of the Ben JOhnson forum ( Serious research you understand, nothing to do with all the breathtaking (literally) pictures :lol: :lol: :lol: ) and 3 years and 181 pages ago I found this
by pvitari » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:26 pm
I'm going to have to screencap a Ben Johnson movie some day. :)

by JackFavell » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:41 pm
oooh. Please do.

by pvitari » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:23 pm
OK, that's it. Resistance is futile. Once I'm done with All That Heaven Allows, Ben is next for screencapping. What shall it be... Wagon Master?
Thank you Paula for many hours of pleasurable looking:D :D :D I am very glad I found this place

dee
[b]But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams[/b]. (William Butler Yeats )
[b]How did I get to Hollywood? By train.[/b] (John Ford)
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

{Singing tune from Gigi} -- "Ah yes, I remember it well."

It's always been JackFavell's fault. :) Though to be honest I didn't really need all THAT much urging to screencap a Ben Johnson movie. :) A little less than three months later, the Ben Johnson Screencaps Page (now the Fan Page) was born. ;)

Tinker, hope all goes well with the thesis! ;)
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

This is what happens when you're screencapping a movie (in this instance, The Town That Dreaded Sundown) and keep using the pause button...

You spot a camera operator IN THE SHOT!

Oops.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

oh wow, now that is the worst. before, i thought the worst was when i saw the boom hovering in about six separate scenes of a movie. :D
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

June 13 -- it's Ben's birthday. He would have been 95 years old today. :)

He sure was a cute baby. ;) Here he is at two months. This picture is in Richard Jensen's bio, The Nicest Fella: The Life of Ben Johnson. :) (Wonder what picture Mongo will post today!) :)

Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Happy Ben Johnson's birthday, Paula! :D
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Here are two Mighty Joe Young publicity pictures -- what you might call "vintage reproductions" as they're from the 1980s.They are both stamped "From the Borst Collection" on the back. Ronald V. Borst is a long-time collector and seller of movie memorabilia from Hollywood Movie Posters, his store in Hollywood. I got these from his ebay store. You can read a Travel and Leisure magazine article about the few movie memorabilia stores remaining in Hollywood, with some information about Mr. Borst, here: http://www.travelandleisure.com/article ... emorabilia.

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Happy Father's Day!

To celebrate today's post is the program from the 1962 Ben Johnson Memorial Steer Roping. This event was begun in 1954 in honor of the late Ben Johnson (Sr.), our Ben's dad, who had died in 1952. He was a very beloved, highly respected Osage County personality, foreman for more than 20 years of the vast Chapman-Barnard Ranch and a winner several times over of world championships in roping. Ben went to work for his dad at the age of 11 when he became a full-time working cowboy at the Chapman-Barnard Ranch and as you can imagine, Ben Sr. was a huge influence on him.

Here are a few pages from the program but there are a lot more and you can see the entire program here: http://benjohnsonfanpage.shutterfly.com/print/797

There are a lot of ads for businesses that are now long-vanished, I suspect, and any old-timer from Osage County would probably feel very nostalgic looking this program.

Whoever originally owned this program carefully noted the times of all the contestants. Looks like Ben came in no. 11. ;) Clark McEntire is the father of Reba McEntire and Johnny Miller (handwritten at the bottom) is Ben (Jr.)'s nephew. Both McEntire and Miller are world roping champions too. John Tallchief is from the famous Tallchief family that includes ballet dancer Maria. Everyone on the list is a famous rodeo contestant and Ben probably knew them all very well.

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Fort Defiance publicity photo.

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

I think I mentioned Christine, the Belgian fan before. Turns out she's also an art student and here is a beautiful oil painting she recently completed, entitled "Sgt. Tyree."

I asked her why she painted it in black and white, and she said because she loves old black and white films and she wanted to show that in her paintings, like an old keepsake one finds in a box in the attic.

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Hey, Paula! Great caps from Quint-cident! Oooh, he's so awful in that one! Also LOVE the Ben Johnson Steer Roping pamphlet from Father's Day. That's a real find!
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

JackFavell, this one's for you. :) From the Have Gun, Will Travel episode "The Fifth Bullet." :) (Now available on DVD.)