WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
Robert Regan

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by Robert Regan »

Theresa, fealto hit the nail on the head! Living on Velvet is one of those movies that I approached thinking that it was probably not much, but would at the least be interesting, and I was surprised and delighted. From the moment that Borzage presents the most stunning depiction of love-at-first-sight, purely visually! Then another moving portrayal of marriage and the need to grow. Francis and Brent were also in Stranded with him which is also very good. Another excellent Borzage that gets very little attention is The Vanishing Virginian with Frank Morgan, Spring Byington, Kathryn Grayson, Louise Beavers, and Leigh Whipper. Another big surprise for me. I should know by now not to se surprised when Borzage turns out an excellent movie!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

This is great! Getting lots of ideas for movies to look for. Fer, you aren't the only one who has movies recorded that I then never got to....I don't want to run out!
feaito

Post by feaito »

Robert Regan wrote:Theresa, fealto hit the nail on the head! Living on Velvet is one of those movies that I approached thinking that it was probably not much, but would at the least be interesting, and I was surprised and delighted. From the moment that Borzage presents the most stunning depiction of love-at-first-sight, purely visually! Then another moving portrayal of marriage and the need to grow. Francis and Brent were also in Stranded with him which is also very good. Another excellent Borzage that gets very little attention is The Vanishing Virginian with Frank Morgan, Spring Byington, Kathryn Grayson, Louise Beavers, and Leigh Whipper. Another big surprise for me. I should know by now not to se surprised when Borzage turns out an excellent movie!
Hi Robert, Thanks for the further recommendations. I'm curious about your opinion of "Till We Meet Again" (1944).
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Theresa, I'm so glad you liked A Farewell to Arms I think I underrated Coop until I watched this movie, he's really great in the role but Helen Hayes's character is more dominant, it's hard to see what Coop is doing. Those loves scenes are so memorable too.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Hi there Alison. How's it going? The role of Catherine is more dominant, you're right. Oh I had my beady eyes on Gary Cooper. And though I put him on a rung below Ms. Hayes, I realize it takes two to tango.

Bob, Feaito...I'm jotting down these Borzage movies. I have seen "Living On Velvet" if this is the film where Brent is a pilot. When I get a chance, I'll just have to start from scratch and visit Alison's thread here that she started on Frank Borzage.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

It's busy Theresa with one thing and another, I've found myslef immersed in Ken Burns documentaries and the first series of Boardwalk Empire ( I like) and House (it's OK a bit samey though) so I haven't had much to write. Couple this with the fact that we have one computer which we share and my lovely phone that could connect to the internet went down the toilet I just don't get online. chris doesn't function without a computer so I just don't get online. I'm keeping busy bright and busy though.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

just watch Scaramouche late last night after watching the nonsense of Man of Steel ... and I was stunned by the pageantry, the costumes, and the sheer sword play in this great Action, Adventure, Drama, and Romance Movie. I was impressed by Eleanor Parker's beauty, Janet Leigh's Charm, and Nina Foch did a terrific job as Marie Antoinette. Those three beauties in their period costumes were lavish, adorn with laces and satin left me a lavishing impression of color and style.

These three lovely ladies did not disappoint me at all.

I just also loved the Mel Ferrer in this movie ... who played Noel, Marquis de Maynes ... he did a commendable job in this movie and Stewart Granger was excellent as well. This is a very well rounded cast and I for one was charmed by Eleanor Parker ... she was fiery, full of passion, and energy that I find it having a cham of its own.

There is some surprises along the way ... I also like Richard Anderson (the co-star in Million Dollar Man and Bionic Woman) as Philippe de Valmorin was an equally pleasant surprise as well. He should be noted. And John Dehner who also played Doutreval should be recognized as well.

I been wanting to see this Eleanor Parker Movie so very long time and I wasn't disappointed at all. I just loved it.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

This movie has fun to spare! It's a real popcorn eater. And colorful...Holy cow! Love to see it in a theatre.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Erik, the 1953 "Scaramouche" is perhaps my favorite swashbuckler.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

RedRiver wrote:This movie has fun to spare! It's a real popcorn eater. And colorful...Holy cow! Love to see it in a theatre.
Me too Red River ... I would love to see it a theatre too.
feaito wrote:Erik, the 1953 "Scaramouche" is perhaps my favorite swashbuckler.
The 10-12 minutes sword fight at the end was incredible ... and I may add one of the longest on-screen ... as Robert Osborne points it out to all of us here at TCM.
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Erik,

I love that Eleanor Parker stole Rita Hayworth's hair to make this movie!!!! :D :) 8)

Larry
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Vecchiolarry wrote:Hi Erik,

I love that Eleanor Parker stole Rita Hayworth's hair to make this movie!!!! :D :) 8)

Larry
You made me :) :!:
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

"Scaramouche" is a delight. It is one of the best swashbucklers (and the 1953 "Prisoner of Zenda" is pretty damn good too. Love James Mason in that one.)
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Today I watched "First Love" (1939) directed by Henry Koster and starring Deanna Durbin.

This was maybe the third Deanna Durbin movie I've seen, but I think it is my favorite. It moved like greased lightning, and while I wasn't that taken with Durbin herself, I loved how the movie intertwined the plots of "My Man Godfrey" and "Cinderella." At several points in the film I just laughed or cheered (particularly when the snooty cousin got frustrated.) Maybe it is just me, but it seemed to me that the movie allowed for a double perspective in that you could enjoy the sentiment and then laugh at it at the same time. Such as at the end of the film when Durbin is singing this tragic aria, and the camera cuts to a group of old maids weeping their eyes out. We go from being moved by Durbin's music, to laughing at ourselves for reacting like the old maids do, to suddenly feeling joy when Robert Stack walks into the room and Durbin rushes into his arms.

Given how well I thought everything worked together, it was a surprise to read that "First Love" was apparently quite an ordeal to make. Production started without a script and things fell behind schedule almost at once. However, that seems par for the course for Universal in 1939. Yet "Son of Frankenstein," "You Can't Cheat and Honest Man," "First Love," and "Destry Rides Again" did not end up as catastrophes but as films that remain enjoyable to the present day.
The Ingenue

Post by The Ingenue »

[u]MikeBSG[/u] wrote:...Durbin is singing this tragic aria, and the camera cuts to a group of old maids weeping their eyes out. We go from being moved by Durbin's music, to laughing at ourselves for reacting like the old maids do, to suddenly feeling joy when Robert Stack walks into the room and Durbin rushes into his arms.
That's it. That's the magic that exists in Deanna's movies. And you nailed it in words! A wonderful bit of writing, Mike.