Elevator to the Gallows (1957)

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Mr. Arkadin

Elevator to the Gallows (1957)

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I have been running around all day and had no time to write an intro to this film. If you haven't seen it--do so. A very clever French Noir with American ties in the music of Miles Davis.

The film concerns a man who concocts the perfect murder, but because he is trapped in the elevator of his victim's office building, he cannot verify his whereabouts when another murder occurs.

The sight of Jeanne Moreau wandering the streets late at night, looking for her lover while Miles lonely horn plays, is one of the great moments in film. This movie has not dated and is remarkably fresh on viewing today.

Here's a trailer:

moira finnie
Administrator

More Jeanne Moreau!

Post by moira finnie »

Hi Mr. Arkadin,
I wasn't able to watch this movie in its entirety, but I did see two scenes: the first scene that you had mentioned featuring the magnificent Jeanne Moreau wandering the streets with Miles Davis playing his moody trumpet, and the final one with Jeanne murmuring to herself about how the years will pass now. What a formidable actress and real presence! I was also delighted to see one of my favorite French tough guys, Lino Ventura pop up in this movie too. I'm going to have to add the dvd of Elevator to the Gallows to my Netflix cue asap.

I wish that TCM would show many more of her movies, starting with one of my favorite Jean Gabin films, Touchez Pas au Grisbi (1954), and then another early glimpse of Jeanne Moreau in La Reine Margot (1954), Les Amants (1957) and of course, the Truffauts, Jules et Jim (1962) and The Bride Wore Black (1968). The only ones I own of these films are Touchez Pas... & The Bride..., though these are among my favorite French movies.

Thanks for alerting me to this Moreau movie. Did you get to see
The Fire Within (1963) at 11:30 last night?

Btw, Jeanne Moreau appears this Saturday, Oct. 27th in the adaptation of Kafka's The Trial at 11:45 PM on TCM ---but, being Mr. Arkadin, I'm sure that you were well aware of this upcoming Orson Welles movie.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Hi Moira,

Yes, I recorded The Fire Within. I have wanted that film for a long time. As Robert Osbourne said, Malle never wanted to repeat himself which is why his pictures themes and ideas fluctuate wildly. When he hits the bullseye it's fresh and innovative. He's also had his share of clunkers, but I would rather an artist take chances than play it safe. The documentaries shown tonight will be great. Among them is the gem In God's Country (1985).

Moreau is not as well known as she should be in the U.S.. She's a legend in Europe and unlike many of the French New Wave, is still around practicing her craft. Glad you are a fan of Bride. I don't know if you've ever heard of UK recording artist Kate Bush, but she wrote a song about this film called "The Wedding List." Kate has always been inspired by film and has written several popular tunes about classic works including "Wuthering Heights", "The Red Shoes", "Hounds of Love" (Curse of the Demon) and more.

TCM is doing a great job in their Import series. I too wish they would show more of her films and foreign films in general (I'd love a good print of La Notte [1961]). Unfortunately, I think FF fans represent a very tiny segment of their viewers. I actually think Underground has a bigger audience than Imports or Silent Sunday Nights (I love all three :wink: ).

It's kind of funny in a way, because foreign works give us a chance to see a world that was not under rule by the Hollywood code system which allowed for all kinds of scenarios and unexpected shifts in films that would never be allowed here. Many of these works seem fresher and more realistic than some of the U.S. offerings of the time (although that does not mean they are better--just different). American films had unique limitations placed on them and managed to work within those boundries to create special timeless classics. Foreign films represent the other side of the coin and are just as worthy of study.

P.S. I love The Trial as well. Moreau is great, Perkins gives a wonderful performance, and Welles showed his genius in improvising without funds and creating this great film out a sure disaster. Unfortunately, TCM always has that same worn print that I just could not reccomend to someone who has never seen this film (or worse someone new to classic films). I'd love to see Criterion clean this movie up along with Chimes at Midnight (1966) and release it as a set (maybe with Othello thrown in?). We can still dream can't we?
Last edited by Mr. Arkadin on October 24th, 2007, 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I don't know if you've ever heard of UK recording artist Kate Bush, but she wrote a song about this film called "The Wedding List." Kate has always been inspired by film and has written several popular tunes about classic works including "Wuthering Heights", "The Red Shoes", "Hounds of Love" (Curse of the Demon) and more.
Hey Ark, Thanks for reminding me of the unique talent of Kate Bush. I think that her quirky style is probably best known to most Americans from the '80s hit here,"Running Up that Hill" from the Hounds of Love album. Some may also know the song "Don't Give Up" as well. I've always liked her eclectic style and will have to see if I can find her newer cds.

I agree about the print quality of The Trial when I've seen it in the past. Interestingly, The Bride Wore Black, based on one of Cornell Woolrich's haunting stories is one of the most pristine, modern looking films I've ever seen on dvd.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Moira,

If you like Running Up That Hill, check out this version by Les July. As you know, the original song contains tons of instumentation, but this guy pulls it off with just his voice, a bass guitar, and a looper which lets him sample his playing. Inspiring.