China
3%
Other
5%

Total votes: 66

charliechaplinfan

Re: Foreign film poll

Post by charliechaplinfan »

When I came across a country who's films I liked I added more to my rental list, which had interesting consequences, I really discovered world cinema blindly, without and knowledge which led to some interesting discoveries, like Realm of the Senses, I wasn't ready for that one. Overall I enjoyed discovering movies in this way, then I got to know pretty quickly what directors I liked and what stars, I'd watch anything with Marcello Mastroianni or Vittorio Gassman in for instance and I'd watch anything directed by Ophuls or Lubitsch.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I read a lot of movie books growing up, (my sister had quite a few, since she was 6 years older, and my parents had shelves full of books) and I just read whatever was in the house, since reading was my favorite pastime. These books spurred me to see foreign films, and classic movies because they said you should see X number of films in your lifetime. Movies like Grand Illusion and La Strada and Late Spring and Earth were in my consciousness early on, even though I hadn't seen them. And then there was the PBS station in Chicago which was a TREASURE TROVE of foreign films - Pygmalion (I know it doesn't seem foreign, but it was to me), The 400 Blows, Eisenstein, Metropolis, and Le Million - all of these were on TV when I was around 9-16 years old, so I got some fantastic stuff at a very early age. Then I kind of went into a fallow phase, until videos came out, and then it was more modern foreign films, movies like Jean de Florette, The Wedding Banquet, Tampopo, Red White and Blue, and the Canadian films by Hal Hartley.

Only more recently have I gone back and tried to pick up on the ones on those lists that I hadn't seen initially.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

You were so lucky. What a great way to grow up, watching movies in a movie house! That's wonderful!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That's wonderful, Masha, the way you write it conjures up quite a picture for me. Your uncle sounds rather brave. you should write a movie about him and your movie experiences. Maybe Maven can direct it. :D
Lucky Vassall

Post by Lucky Vassall »

Masha wrote:I thank all who have commented!

I love that there is so much variation and that some had to qualify their votes. That speaks so much of the nature of the movies and of those who watch them. :)

I am surprised that Ingmar Bergman has not inspired more people to delve into Swedish movies. Or perhaps people have done so and found them lacking in some way?

Hardest poll I've ever taken. Limiting it to three choices was the problem. Every country (including all the English-speaking countries) comes up with at least a few really great or at least really enjoyable films.

France was easy; "Four Hundred Blows" has always been my favorite film, and all the new wave films I've seen have been worth the time. Not surprising that France is so far ahead. I suspect the problem with Mexico is that we have the spectacular "Los Olvidados" and just about nothing else.

Truth: I included Sweden, because of Bergman of course, before I read Masha's comment. Watched "Sunday's Children" (Sondagsbarn 1992) for the first time last week. Directed by Daniel Bergman, but written by Ingmar. The master hasn't lost his touch!

And thanks, Masha, for thinking of this. It proved to be even more fun than I expected. Hope this post will encourage others to get their two cents in. Come on, prove you're not JUST a Hollywood junky!
[size=85]AVATAR: Billy DeWolfe as Mrs. Murgatroid, “Blue Skies” (1946)

[b]“My ancestors came over on the Mayflower.”
“You’re lucky. Now they have immigration laws."[/b]
[i]Mae West, The Heat’s On” (1943[/i])

[b]:–)—[/b]
Pinoc-U-no(se)[/size]
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

I chose 1) Japan, 2) Italy, and 3) Germany. I had a hard time choosing my number 3, as I love many of the films from all of the other listed countries. I settled on Germany mainly for their silent era movies.

If I had to add an additional unlisted nation, I'd say South Korea, especially from the past 25 years.
Watching until the end.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

LawrenceA wrote: January 16th, 2023, 6:27 pm I chose 1) Japan, 2) Italy, and 3) Germany. I had a hard time choosing my number 3, as I love many of the films from all of the other listed countries. I settled on Germany mainly for their silent era movies.

If I had to add an additional unlisted nation, I'd say South Korea, especially from the past 25 years.
Instead of Germany I select France (with Japan and Italy), but those silent films from Germany were very innovative.
Arsan444

Post by Arsan444 »

Italy, Spain, and Sweden.
On the strength of Neo-realism, Fellini alone, Italy is the easy choice for me, but I enjoy Italian movies in general.
Spain has a rich filmography from great directors like Berlanga, Bardem, Erice, Saura, Buñuel, Amenábar. With Buñuel, my vote should be split among Spain, France, and Mexico.
Sweden largely because of Bergman and Sjostrom.
The vast majority of Foreign Films that I've seen are from Spain and Mexico. Mexico has many great films from the Golden Age but that quality, in my opinion, has diminished to an occasional good movie.
When in doubt, have another one.
Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

France, Japan and Germany. But it is a tough call. France gets my top spot mainly because of its post 1980 films.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

I chose "other" because I love British films and to a lesser extent Australian films. I'm sure some of it has to do with no subtitles, but also the culture. If I had to pick from your list I'd be like everyone else and say French films. The last one I saw & liked was AMALIE '02.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

TikiSoo wrote: January 17th, 2023, 7:56 am I chose "other" because I love British films and to a lesser extent Australian films. I'm sure some of it has to do with no subtitles, but also the culture. If I had to pick from your list I'd be like everyone else and say French films. The last one I saw & liked was AMALIE '02.
I assumed this poll was really about Foreign language films, but if not, British films would have been a selection for a lot of people.