WHAT SILENTS & PRE-CODES HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

JackFavell

Re: WHAT SILENTS & PRE-CODES HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by JackFavell »

I loved the clip from Jolly Fellows. It looks like it's just my speed.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u][color=#0040BF]JackFavell[/color][/u] wrote:Are you Sansfin from over at the TCM site? It's wonderful to see you over here!
[u][color=#400080]Masha[/color][/u] wrote:I tried so very hard to hide my identity! :oops:

I thank you very much for your warm welcome.

I like the TCM Forum but it has become trying and I at times can not follow discussions well because I have had to use the Ignore feature for several posters there because of their attitude and rudeness.
"Masha" may I also offer you a warm welcome here. There is a reason why it is called "OASIS." Welcome! :)
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

what a charming little movie! Thanks for sharing, Masha.

Nancy
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
Ceil

Post by Ceil »

My husband and I are working our way through the "Les Vampires" series. Some of it seems predictable, but I have to remember that it WASN'T in 1915-16!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Welcome Ceil, there are lots of silent movie lovers here. I haven't got through the entire Les Vampires set yet, but I intend to.

I watched a charming precode The Sin of Nora Moran with Zita Johann, Zita plays a nice girl that ends up misused and on the wrong side of the tracks and as the film starts on death row awaiting execution the very next day. Zita didn't make enough movies in my opinion, she has a lovely expressive face, perfect for these roles. I also watched a very preachy precode by Mrs Wallace Reid, The Road to Ruin, it says it all and it's about the descent of a New York city girl, it ended up being quite entertaining although in the opening scenes I was expecting a polemic, Mrs Reid succeeded in telling a good story.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I think Zita is marvelous, I have a photo here somewhere in my computer, but aside from beauty she has something else going for her. I like her very much.

Here it is:

CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Ahhhhhhh, must be another Texas Ollie special. I find I have "THE SIN OF NORA MORAN" in my dvd collection.

Guess I'd better pull it out of my library and give it a view. ( I've only see Johann in one film. Yep, "The Mummy." )
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

kingrat, Dorothy Sebastian is a great personality. Have you seen Our Dancing Daughters already? She plays one of the three bright eyed flapper heroines in it. She plays the second lead in The Single Standard, starring Garbo and Nils Asther, and is in Spite Marriage with Buster Keaton, with whom she is rumored to have had an affair.

She's also one of the most photographed and photogenic of the late 20's starlets and seemed like she had a great sense of humor. Her 'fun' quotient seems high in all those silly publicity photos they had her do, but then, maybe she was just ambitious, and ready to get her face out there to the public.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

KR, Woman of Affairs is my favorite GG movie. I love it so much, I got the book from the library (not an easy task!) which is "The Green Hat".

***MAJOR SPOILERS!!!!***

Even as a pre code, they really had to clean up the script. Johnny Mack Brown's character was NOT an embezzler...he had venereal disease. And the bromance was just friendly on his part, but Douglas Fairbanks Jr. was definitely in love with him, and was why he hated his sister so much. He thought JMB had committed suicide because she was unfaithful..not because JMB didn't want her to become infected with his terrible disease.

She was hospitalized, not with a breakdown, but because she had lost Neville's baby. (I don't think he knew) That makes the scene with the roses even more heart wrenching, doesn't it?

When that ring drops off her finger.....WOOOOO HOOOOO!!!!! Now that is story-telling at it's best!!!!!
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Gee, thanks knitty for clearing up so many details! It all makes a lot more sense, though I always thought she had had a baby and they used 'nervous breakdown' as a euphemism. I must have been more on the ball than usual when I first watched it! :D
Robert Regan

Post by Robert Regan »

Thanks, Wendy, for the Dorothy Sebastian pictures. She certainly does appear to have had a highly developed sense of humor!