YOU Tube'n

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
Lomm
Administrator

Re: YOU Tube'n

Post by Lomm »

moirafinnie wrote:Thanks, Lomm. It's always great to discover stuff on youtube, though it sometimes disappears way too quickly. I don't think that is as likely to happen to Public Domain films. Do you recommend any particular movies there that you enjoyed?
I'm a terrible judge, because I tend to enjoy almost any classics from the 30s and 40s, even the "bad" ones. :)
Made For Each Other, starring Carole Lombard and Jimmy Stewart is a little uneven, but very enjoyable even if just for the stars.
Sin Takes a Holiday, with Constance Bennett, is an interesting early talkie. Pre-code, so you have a little bit of spice, as it were.
Topper Returns, I'm sure most of you have probably seen; that's on there. Some Basil Rathbone Holmes films too. There's Chaplin and Laurel and Hardy early films to satisfy the comic urge. It's really worth browsing around for lots of hidden gems, and as you say, these being public domain they aren't likely to be taken down anytime.

It's very addicting to start watching things there, and then the next, and so on. I did that with Clayton Moore Lone Ranger. It may have been a little out of control.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I just watched Made For Each Other for the first time in years recently. It's very well acted, though I like Stewart much more in his post-WWII films. Lombard always seemed to make people opposite her in movies look good. Fred MacMurray credited her with teaching him a great deal about acting (she mainly got him to loosen up a bit)--giving films like Hands Across the Table an undeniable, poignant yet effervescent charm.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

It's very addicting to start watching things there, and then the next, and so on

I'm afraid to even go there, Lomm! I don't have my own computer. That's a mixed blessing.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Lomm, thanks so much for posting this! I'm already salivating, looking at all the titles on the first page... :D Think I'll start with Connie Bennett, and work my way through.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

ha ha!! it kills me the things cats choose to react to. the evil green apples! :D
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

In case someone might be interested, I've found a complete Charles Aznavour concert video, from his 1997 series at the Palais des Congrès in Paris. It’s all in french. He’s 73 years old here and in good form.

[youtube][/youtube]
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Masha wrote:I am unsure if this should go here or in the cat thread. Decisions, decisions, decisions . . .

Oh my goodness, that music and the cat's antics were riveting. Darned cats...a dog would have sniffed them once and chomped down on those apples faster than Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Not my dog! We think she's got some cat in her. When Andrew comes home and he's got his lunch bag with him, she goes berserk - she's frightened by the lunch but must attack it. It's hilarious, listening and watching her run and pounce and growl and bark, and then run and pounce again.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

HOLY MACKERAL!!!! I didn't see THAT coming!! :lol:
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Vienna

Post by Vienna »

Awesome!!! So funny.
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Although it's been around for a few years, I've just discovered a site called The Video Cellar. They have a collection of films and television programs in the public domain, which they upload to YouTube and The Internet Archive, then share via their site. Some items I have not found anywhere else, such as Helen Hayes' 1960 television adaptation of The Bat. Groovy! 8)
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

This looks GREAT, PT! Thanks so much for posting this.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Bookmarked and saved for future viewing. Thanks for posting!