To Dream of Dogs

Chit-chat, current events
JackFavell

Re: To Dream of Dogs

Post by JackFavell »

I love that one! Once again, Sugar shows her good taste in television shows.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I always leave a stuffed rabbit on the couch with her. I say, "Let Bunny watch her shows too!" Unfortunately, neither can work the remote!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

There's got to be a way to rig that up for them.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

It's been a while since I talked about Lara. She was spayed in August, was bouncing around again within 3 days but used the intervening time to make me feel very sorry for her and made sure that she had plenty of love and cuddles. The only thing I've noticed since she had the op is that her appetite is larger, whereas before it was sometimes difficult to get her to eat, nowadays she's waiting for her meals. She's very energetic though and always on the go. Still the baby, still the child wanting to play all the time, still a big softie and a big bundle of love.

I've ended up minding a neighbourhood dog for 3 afternoons, she's a 9 month old Lab called Lola, she was abused in her first home when she was only weeks old, she doesn't trust other people but she loves Lara and because of Lara, she's come to like me. So she comes here and plays with Lara, entertains Lara and I just love watching them play. It's so much easier than kids :wink:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That's wonderful, Alison! I'm so glad that Lara has a playmate, and it's good for the pup to see that people can be kind. I love seeing dogs playing together. Lily is extremely social, in fact, if she doesn't see anyone on her walks, it bothers her, I think.

Lily is slightly less energetic than she was before she was spayed, but I think it could also be that she used to run with her previous owner who was a military man, and I am not as fit as he was. I walk a great deal and even run occasionally, but it's not the same and she's lost a little muscle tone I think, gets tired more easily.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

charliechaplinfan wrote: I've ended up minding a neighbourhood dog for 3 afternoons, she's a 9 month old Lab called Lola, she was abused in her first home when she was only weeks old, she doesn't trust other people but she loves Lara and because of Lara, she's come to like me. So she comes here and plays with Lara, entertains Lara and I just love watching them play. It's so much easier than kids :wink:
That's awesome CCFan! ... I love the name Lola! :)
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I, also, am glad about Lara's new friend. My mom suspected Sugar had been swatted as a pup. When we reached out to pet her, she would shrink back abruptly. A few months later, there wasn't a trace of that apprehension. She's had only love from my family.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

All they need is love.
All they need is love.
All they need is love, love.
Love is all they need.

Shug, Lara and Lily are lucky to have you guys!! :)
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Joseph Goodheart
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

A friend of mine has a dog, Spencer, and a cat, Maxine. One time Spencer walked up to Maxine and said, "Hey Max. Want to play?" Maxine said, "GET THE **** AWAY FROM ME, YOU BIG UGLY DOG!" Spencer just walked away, not knowing what to think! Unlike humans, he probably didn't make too much of it. "OK. I'll try again tomorrow!"
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That is HILARIOUS Joe!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Does Lily go off lead Wendy? Lara runs like the clappers when she's off and she's really fast, very good at dodging and diving, she's very much got the poodle legs. She too gets miffed if she doesn't see anyone on her walks, she thinks everyone she meets wants to know her and her instant reaction is to try to put her feet on legs and wag her tail, brilliant if she has muddy feet and the other person has no dog and crisp clean clothes on. Normally she'd be a on a short lead but when she's off it's a different story.

Lola is settling in with us day to day, Chris has been off and she's getting used to him. She's only 9 months, whoever had her had her for 4 weeks and inflicted damage on her. She really is a sweetie, when you get to know her she's all cuddles. They play together so well, I could watch them all day. It's good to know of a dog who had had that experience Red.

Just come back from the vets, she's had her booster and ear treatment and flea treatment, £70 well spent.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Alison, be sure to post a photo of your new family member as soon as you can. Thanx!
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

No Lily doesn't go off lead at ALL Alison. I feel bad about it, I'd love to let her really go, but the bottom line is I don't trust my dog. She's terribly fast and sneaky, and she is completely led by her nose. She sometimes comes when she is called, but it is by no means a hundred percent. Because we got her at age two and half, a lot of her habits are ingrained through bad training (or basically no training at all) and she doesn't really think that she has to respond to us...we are there to respond to her. The only times I've let her off lead, she's run into the street with cars following at a snail's pace behind her and not listened to me, even when I have treats. Sometimes I let her go with the leash on, it slows her down and I can actually catch up and grab the leash if she gets frisky and runs.

At the dog park, where we go occasionally she doesn't usually run too much, just spends all her time sniffing the perimeter and stealing other dog's toys. Once she has a toy in her mouth, she just makes plans to take it home and she will simply wait by the gate.

A week or so ago though, she got to go out to a nature preserve with 5 other dogs, big ones actually, and I let her run with them while leaving her dragging her leash behind. It worked well and she was a bit timid because she's used to being alpha, but wasn't. She knew her place though and that was really cool, she came in about 3rd place, after a black lab and the grey standard poodle. I fear though that after she got used to it there, she'd be figuring out a way to run off, you can see her checking out her surroundings so she can make a sneaky exit. It's simply her personality to go her own way.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I just loved the picture of the big dog and the little kitty kat ... Joe and its so funny to look at. The picture of the kitty kat on top is priceless indeed! :)