To Dream of Dogs

Chit-chat, current events
RedRiver

Re: To Dream of Dogs

Post by RedRiver »

I think Shug would always choose to come home. She loves her home. The question is, would she live long enough? If we had a secure dog park, I would take a chance. Even that, she might claw her way out of. But it would be worth the risk.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I understand, red. I think Lily would choose to come home too, unless of course she was having too much fun elsewhere. :D
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I think you've said before, we have the same dog!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

:D

Makes me wonder what they'd be like together...probably a bad idea. They'd be cooking up something sneaky... :D
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Two little scamps, Shug and Lily. I'd love to see them get into mischief and go all "crazy dog." And wait...lets get triple crazy. Lara! Paging LaraCharlieChaplinFan!!! Three puppies are better than two.

I posted this over on the SSO FaceBook page and I want to re-post this here for those puppy parents:

http://www.dogheirs.com/dogheirs/posts/ ... r-for-dogs
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'd love to get the three of them together! Sweet Lara, and spicy Shug and Lily....

Thanks again for posting that info, T. I had no idea that this was something you could do to save your pet.

We got Lily a little mouse toy that was for cats, and expected her to rip it to shreds like she does with the big toys. But she carries it around in her mouth very gently, worries it a little occasionally, then lays it gently down beside her in her bed and licks it. At first I thought she was treating it as she might a mole or something that she dug up and killed, but now I am wondering if she thinks of it as a tiny newborn puppy?
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Hmmm...I'm not thinking she think it's a mole. I think Lily knows some very deep difference; that this is another being ( albeit a toy ) that one treats gently. Lily has a big heart for a little curly sweetie pie.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'm sure you are right, I guess I was anthropomorphizing a little bit. But she treats it very differently, she definitely wants to keep it, not reduce it to an empty skin like she's done with the big toys. :D

She really is a cutie pie... she's all curled up asleep here next to me. Image
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Cute Golden Retrievers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9qJnBQh008

A friend of mine sent me this via e-mail.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Last night I was worried about something, sitting on the couch thinking about it. Shug put her paws around my neck and "cheek nuzzled" me! That's canine for "It'll be OK. I'll take care of my person!" They really do know when something's wrong.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That's sweet, red! they really do know when something is wrong. Their love is the best medicine.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

"We have food. We snuggle. What is there to worry about?"
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

RedRiver wrote:"We have food. We snuggle. What is there to worry about?"
Thanks for putting this all in perspective and for Shug's kindness to you reminding me of the time my Dalmatian mix found me sitting on the steps in my house, just after putting one of my parents in an ambulance for the umpteenth time and sending them off to the hospital. Quietly, Casey came up behind me and put his head on my shoulder. And people believe that animals have no soul?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Lovely, Moira. They could teach us a few things. I used to lock Shug in her room when she misbehaved. After I let her out, she would avoid me for a while. Wouldn't even look at me. Then, ever so slowly, she'd slink over to where I was sitting and crawl up next to me. That's when I knew I was forgiven!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

My mom was in and out of the hospital in her final months. Each time, I took care of Sugar. After about three of these excursions, I said, "Well, Shug, I think you're my dog now." She said, "OK. Got any chicken?"