That Hamilton Woman - for Romantics only

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Jezebel38

That Hamilton Woman - for Romantics only

Post by Jezebel38 »

A big star in my Now Playing guide for me to record this seldom played film on TCM Sunday night. Historical film? to a degree; Propaganda? somewhat - this was Churchill's favorite film viewed over 80 times. But for me, I watch this film solely to wallow in the romantic exchanges between the stunningly beautiful Vivien Leigh and Laurence Olivier. I've only seen this film about 3 or so times (I have a lot of catching up to Mr. Churchill), but I recall my favorite scene is when Emma, thinking she will never see Nelson again, dash out and run along her terrace to catch up to him before he boards his ship. There are some excellent supporting actors in this, including Sara Allgood, Allan Mowbry, Gladys Cooper as a chilling yet sympathetic Lady Nelson, and my favorite Henry Wilcoxon as Hardy.

A note; I was at the Huntingdon Museum in SoCal, about 20 years ago, and looking for the gallery which contained The Blue Boy, when to my delight I found George Romney's portrait, "Emma Hart in a Staw Hat" which was featured in this film - with Vivien Leigh's visage of course.
MissGoddess

Re: That Hamilton Woman - for Romantics only

Post by MissGoddess »

Jezebel38 wrote:A big star in my Now Playing guide for me to record this seldom played film on TCM Sunday night. Historical film? to a degree; Propaganda? somewhat - this was Churchill's favorite film viewed over 80 times. But for me, I watch this film solely to wallow in the romantic exchanges between the stunningly beautiful Vivien Leigh and Laurence Olivier. I've only seen this film about 3 or so times (I have a lot of catching up to Mr. Churchill), but I recall my favorite scene is when Emma, thinking she will never see Nelson again, dash out and run along her terrace to catch up to him before he boards his ship. There are some excellent supporting actors in this, including Sara Allgood, Allan Mowbry, Gladys Cooper as a chilling yet sympathetic Lady Nelson, and my favorite Henry Wilcoxon as Hardy.

A note; I was at the Huntingdon Museum in SoCal, about 20 years ago, and looking for the gallery which contained The Blue Boy, when to my delight I found George Romney's portrait, "Emma Hart in a Staw Hat" which was featured in this film - with Vivien Leigh's visage of course.
Oh my goodness !! TCM is finally showing this movie???? I'm so pleased! I recently bought a so-so dvd-r of it but I'm going to record it on a clean tape in case I get a better picture from TCM.

This is a gorgeous movie and one of the most unapologetically romantic of the 1940s. Vivien, always a beauty, was never so exquisite as she is here I believe. I've read a couple of biographies about Emma and her love affair with Nelson. Very interesting reading.

I, too, often went to visit the Huntington gardens and museum. What a beautiful place that is. I had the same reaction when I saw Romney's portrait.

Vivien Leigh was one of those rare creatures who's beauty, like they said of Emma's in the film, surpassed the artist's rendition.